Vista Ridge to Elk Cove

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Runnerinblack

Vista Ridge to Elk Cove

Post by Runnerinblack » July 7th, 2018, 11:06 am

IMG_4299.jpeg
Snow
My favorite entry to Timberline is on the Vista Ridge trail. I love walking through the old burn from the Dollar Lake fire of 2011. The trail offers amazing views of Hood as you gradually climb towards Timberline and you can also sneak peeks of another Cascade gem to the north, Mount Adams.

On this day I got a late start but it was the 4th of July so I didn't think it would be a problem, which it wasn't. There were only two other cars at the TH when I arrived.

Counted no more than twenty trees down over the trail, none of which was hard to negotiate. Avalanche Lilies are in full bloom and some even starting to die. Lupine was making an appearance as was the Bear Grass. The juxtaposition of the burned out trees with the vibrant life of the flowers always amazes me.

As you approach the top of the Ridge, there are still a few large snow mounds that weren't hard to navigate and some had clear boot paths. Just use caution and after you pass the Eden Park spur stay to the left on the Ridge to pick the trail back up beyond the snow pockets.

Once on Timberline, the views just got better and better. Just off the Ridge trail you come to a clearing with two streams running downhill, my favorite spot to top off my water bottles. And after that, look to your left for something glorious......Adams, Rainier, and St. Helens in all their magnificence. I did not trek up to Dollar Lake this trip, but the trail up was still covered in snow, but not bad. It's amazing how after your first time "finding" the trail up to Dollar Lake you can never, ever miss it again. So cool.

Along the Timberline trail there still are plenty of snow patches, all easily crossed with clear paths, just use caution as they are melting out and are slick! Flowers are in full bloom: Lupine, Paintbrush, Beargrass, Maraposa Lily and many more I don't know.

Elk Meadows is in great shape, still some downed trees after the Meadow itself, but nothing too bad. Camp sites all looked inviting and empty.
Attachments
IMG_4297.jpeg
IMG_4296.jpeg
Lilies and Trees
IMG_4294.jpeg
Bear Grass and Trees
IMG_4287.jpeg
Trees
image_6483441.JPG
Hood and Flowers

Splintercat

Re: Vista Ridge to Elk Cove

Post by Splintercat » July 7th, 2018, 5:33 pm

Thanks for the report! We have a TKO event up there tomorrow to formally dedicate the Old Vista Ridge Trail and do some trail work, so heads up for anyone going in that direction -- parking will be even tighter than usual.

Runnerinblack, that first meadow you came to (with the streams running across it) is WyEast Basin, and just in case others read this report, the next stop is Elk Cove, located below Barrett Spur. There's also an Elk Meadows, located on the east side of the mountain, below Gnarl Ridge and near the headwaters of Cold Spring Creek.

-Tom :-)