Timberline Trail: 6/27/18-6/29/18

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
scooterRed

Re: Timberline Trail: 6/27/18-6/29/18

Post by scooterRed » July 25th, 2018, 3:37 am

On direction, we did the trip two weeks ago (see my trip report for 7/11-7/15) and loved our decision to go CCW. We ran into people but for lesser amounts of time (the vast majority go CW) so it didn't feel crowded. We hit all the camping spots at the right time and had our pick of them. It felt we were building up to the bigger hills as we progressed. And getting to Clark or Newton Creek that first night made a great first day and set us up well for the climb to Lambertson Butte the next morning. Certainly consider conditions like wind that first day but know we were happy to go the less common CCW direction.

And a thanks to this original poster for the great trip report...it really helped us plan our trip and made us more comfortable after hearing the ranger report of 25% snow on the trail. Here's our posting...for those planning a trip: https://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/view ... ead#unread

Kerraeb

Post by Kerraeb » July 25th, 2018, 1:18 pm

Thanks DRM, Scooterred, and Jerry!

The weather this weekend has made the decision for me!

Counter CW it is! Sunday and Monday are supposed to be the hottest, so I'll do the wooded portions then.

I climbed Mt. Adams last weekend, so this elevation will be no problem. I've done the Ramona to the Lodge section before. It wasn't bad.

I've got plenty of time, so I can be as lazy or speedy as I need to be.

Waking up in the wilderness on my birthday is the objective. Everything else is just walking. :)
Some days are diamonds, some days are stones.

drm

Post by drm » July 25th, 2018, 2:29 pm

Kerraeb wrote:
July 25th, 2018, 1:18 pm
Waking up in the wilderness on my birthday is the objective. Everything else is just walking. :)
My trip to Mt Rainier last week was also a birthday trip! Waking up in the wilderness is why I prefer backpacking to day hiking.

Cspruce

Post by Cspruce » August 1st, 2018, 1:44 pm

Hi, new to this forum and very grateful to find so much great information on the trail! I plan to do the loop next week with my dog. I am mostly concerned with the river crossings as my dog would need to wade through the water. She is a 85 pounds and loves to hike/ play in water but does not like to swim so I am concerned she won’t cross if it is too deep. I would also prefer to wade through the water rather than jumping on rocks or logs as I have fast drying boots/ hiking pools and don’t mind the wet feet. Has anyone hiked the loop with a dog/ any recent reports on how deep the water at Coe, White river, Newton and Salmon crossings. Thank you! :)

Kerraeb

Post by Kerraeb » August 2nd, 2018, 8:08 pm

Please leave the pup at home! It is hot, dry, long, and dusty and lots of volcanic scree on their paws. I watched one scared dog almost pull his owner in and another wanting fight a dog not on a leash.

The Newton, Coe, and Eliot could be really dangerous for a dog.

If anything goes wrong you're a long way from help most of the time.

Keep the pup safe. Get a sitter.

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » August 2nd, 2018, 8:34 pm

Cspruce wrote:
August 1st, 2018, 1:44 pm
Hi, new to this forum and very grateful to find so much great information on the trail! I plan to do the loop next week with my dog. I am mostly concerned with the river crossings as my dog would need to wade through the water. She is a 85 pounds and loves to hike/ play in water but does not like to swim so I am concerned she won’t cross if it is too deep. I would also prefer to wade through the water rather than jumping on rocks or logs as I have fast drying boots/ hiking pools and don’t mind the wet feet. Has anyone hiked the loop with a dog/ any recent reports on how deep the water at Coe, White river, Newton and Salmon crossings. Thank you! :)
I wouldn’t take my dog on the TT. Several water crossings have strong currents focused in one point at knee depth.

The Coe, Eliot, Newton and Sandy crossings would be dangerous for a dog.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

Kerraeb

Post by Kerraeb » August 3rd, 2018, 7:11 am

Born2BBrad- THANK YOU for your write up! It was part of the compilation I used to guide me on my TT trip!
I wrote my first trip report hoping I could help someone else. :)

huckleberries

Post by huckleberries » January 26th, 2019, 7:46 am

The link http://gpsfly.org/u/Born2BBrad/ seems to no longer work. The site seems to have been bought by a domain parking lot.
Re-entering the Stone Ephemera of Codex Monolithiopia

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 16th, 2019, 11:12 am

huckleberries wrote:
January 26th, 2019, 7:46 am
The link http://gpsfly.org/u/Born2BBrad/ seems to no longer work. The site seems to have been bought by a domain parking lot.
I have an archive of (I believe) all of the gpsfly tracks, made right before the site shut down. Are you looking for something in particular?