Goats galore on Mt. Ellinor

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mrblisterdundee

Goats galore on Mt. Ellinor

Post by mrblisterdundee » June 26th, 2018, 9:27 pm

Looking at Google Maps, I realized the southeastern corner of the Olympic Mountains was as close as Goat Rocks, without the 20 miles of extra rough forest road to traverse to get to Berry Patch. Known as Staircase, the area of the park has multiple short, steep leg burners.
My hiking buddy and I took off Sunday for Mt. Ellinor, a popular climb near the heavily touristed Lake Cushman. From the lower trailhead, we climbed 3,300 feet over 3 miles to the rocky summit. The trail started out snowless in the woods, with occasional views of Hood Canal; the distant, hazy monoliths of downtown Seattle; and all the major peaks of the Washington Cascades:
Mt. Ellinor 1.jpg
Above the woods is a large, slushy, melting snowfield:
Mt. Ellinor 3.jpg
... and slides coming down:
Mt. Ellinor 4.jpg
The numerous mountain goats of Mt. Ellinor start appearing near the top:
Mt. Ellinor 2.jpg
I've hiked many miles in supposed Cascade goat country and had only seen one wayward buck hiking across Johnston Ridge. Mt. Ellinor has a notably aggressive herd, one of which gored a hiker to death in 2010. The goats were pretty chill with us. We stopped and tried not to make eye contact as one came right at us, stopped, looked my hiking buddy then walked past, looking for a patch of grass to nibble.
On the way down, we had to skirt between various patches of trees and vegetation with hidden goats. We even got to see a mother and kid:
Mt. Ellinor 5.jpg
The top is one of the best views in the Olympics, with the aforementioned mainland, along with Mt. Olympus across the park:
Mt. Ellinor 7.jpg
... and Mt. Washington next door:
Mt. Ellinor 6.jpg
All in all, an awesome hike, with 3,300 feet of climbing and descent packed into 6.2 miles, and plenty of wildlife.

K.Wagner

Re: Goats galore on Mt. Ellinor

Post by K.Wagner » June 27th, 2018, 11:29 am

Nice report. I had heard about the goats up there, but didn't realize there were so many.

Years ago (we won't say how many), when we lived in Bremerton, we did a lot of hiking in that area, but never did that climb. One time on a spring trip to Flapjack Lakes, in the snow, we had a goat looking down on us from a snow drift, perhaps 6 feet away.

Brings back good memories of the days spent in the Olympics!
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"