Memaloose Lake and South Fork Mountain 061718

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
BassMasterK

Re: Memaloose Lake and South Fork Mountain 061718

Post by BassMasterK » June 24th, 2018, 6:35 pm

Thank you Don for posting this up. I have never done this hike, read your post and 30 minutes later my 8 year old and I were in the car and on our way. The potholes were a little shocking when I first hit them because the road had been so good up until then but once I saw the first ones I knew what was coming up and navigated carefully. Having a high clearance truck definitely helped. It was an amazing hike and my son loved the lake and the view from the top of the mountain. We will definitely be going back to this one, we don't live too far away from it.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » June 30th, 2018, 8:31 pm

For anyone who is interested in this hike, I was up that way today and road 45 is closed at the junction with 4540. It is still possible to get to Memaloose lake, however it is a much longer drive and the roads are very brushy.

I was surprised when I saw it - when I got home I checked the FS website, and it did have a notice:
The 45 road is also closed approximately 9 miles from the gate on the Hillockburn side. The closure on the Hillockburn side is expected to remain in effect until late September for culvert replacement.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » July 2nd, 2018, 7:00 am

That must be why they regraded the road. Hopefully it's still decent after they get done.