Bald Mountain Loop (Umatilla N.F.) 5-28-18

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Bald Mountain Loop (Umatilla N.F.) 5-28-18

Post by bobcat » June 3rd, 2018, 3:09 pm

I camped at the Coalmine Hill Campground (free, no drinking water) south of Heppner and hiked this triangular loop of about 7 ½ miles using three well-maintained trails of roughly equal length.

The first part of the route, on the Bald Mountain Trail, takes you through forest recovering from the spruce budworm outbreaks in the second half of the 20th century and up over the sagebrush “bald” of Little Bald Mountain. There are meadows all along the trail, now blooming with wildflowers, and at some point you can see across the vast lush expanse of Herren Meadow, typical of the many high prairies on the divide here between the drainage of the North Fork John Day River and Willow Creek, which runs directly north into the Columbia. I crossed the Smith Ditch, which was constructed in the 1930s by the CCC to divert water from Ditch Creek, a tributary of the North Fork John Day, over the divide at Herren Meadow and down to Willow Creek to irrigate the farm fields around Heppner. Next, I took the diversion to Gibson Cave, a large rock overhang which sheltered Native Americans for thousands of years until a man named Gibson used it as a home during the Great Depression. He walled up the overhang and installed furniture and a wood stove. None of that remains, and the interpretive sign that was here is no longer legible. You’re just left with the charcoal signatures of more modern visitors and the remains of a hunter’s camp.

Trailhead, Bald Mountain Trail, Umatilla N.F..jpg
Woolly-head clover (Trifolium eriocephalum var. cusickii), Bald Mountain Trail.jpg
New sign for Smith Ditch, Bald Mountain Trail.jpg
Footbridge over Smith Ditch, Bald Mountain Trail.jpg
Herren Meadow, Bald Mountain Trail.jpg
In Gibson Cave, Bald Mountain Trail.jpg
Calypso orchid (Calypso bulbosa) pair, Gibson Cave, Bald Mountain Trail.jpg
View down Willow Creek, Bald Mountain Trail.jpg
Tolmie's onion (Allium tolmiei), Bald Mountain Trail.jpg

The trail crosses right over the top of Little Bald Mountain, a summit similar to other sagebrush balds in the Blue Mountains that protrude from the surrounding forest. You can see north to Bald Mountain and the rolling hills of the Columbia Plateau. The summit register, a U.S. mailbox, is attached to a lone Douglas-fir.

Trail up Little Bald Mountain, Bald Mountain Trail.jpg
View to Bald Mountain from Little Bald Mountain, Bald Mountain Trail.jpg
Summit Douglas-fir, Little Bald Mountain, Bald Mountain Trail.jpg
Mailbox summit register, Little Bald Mountain, Bald Mountain Trail.jpg
Brown's peony (Paeonia brownii), Little Bald Mountain, Bald Mountain Trail.jpg

The Bald Mountain Trail meets the Hells Half Acre Trail in the saddle between Little Bald and Bald Mountains. A visit to the top of Bald Mountain is an easy cross-country jaunt, but I had an injured foot, so decided not to attempt the uneven ground on this “rehabilitation” hike. This leg of the loop descends gently through more meadows and ponderosa pines, crossing a few creeks. The most notable feature here is the huge jumbled mass of boulders known as Earth Shake, which locals, perhaps not the most qualified geologists, aver was caused by a massive earthquake.

Oregon swallowtail (Papilio machaon oregonia), Hells Half Acre Trail.jpg
False morel (Gyromitra esculenta), Hells Half Acre Trail.jpg
Three-tooth mitrewort (Mitella trifida), Hells Half Acre Trail.jpg
Earth Shake, Hells Half Acre Trail.jpg
Ponderosa grove, Hells Half Acre Trail.jpg
Kinnikinnick (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi), Hells Half Acre Trail.jpg
Gate on the Hells Half Acre Trail.jpg

Hells Half Acre Trail crosses Willow Creek Road near Morrow County’s Cutsforth Park and joins the Willow Creek Trail. This path runs up to the headwaters of Willow Creek, crossing it twice, before arriving at the road near the Coalmine Hill Campground.

Footbridge over Willow Creek, Hells Half Acre Trail.jpg
Starry Solomon-plume (Maianthemum stellatum), Willow Creek Trail.jpg
Tall mountain mertensia (Mertensia paniculata), Willow Creek Trail.jpg
Prickly currant (Ribes lacustre), Willow Creek Trail.jpg
Recrossing of Smith Ditch, Willow Creek Trail.jpg

kaltbluter

Re: Bald Mountain Loop (Umatilla N.F.) 5-28-18

Post by kaltbluter » June 4th, 2018, 8:35 am

bobcat wrote:
June 3rd, 2018, 3:09 pm
The Bald Mountain Trail meets the Hells Half Acre Trail
My first thought when I read this was "There aren't any other trails that intersect the trail to Hells Half Acre." Then I scrolled up and and actually paid attention.

Oops, wrong NF.

BTW, I like the little bits of history you include in your trip reports. Thanks.

justpeachy

Re: Bald Mountain Loop (Umatilla N.F.) 5-28-18

Post by justpeachy » June 5th, 2018, 5:14 am

Nice-looking hike! I hadn't heard of any of these landmarks so I had to get out the map.