Nye's Place on Steens Mtn

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
birdhiker

Nye's Place on Steens Mtn

Post by birdhiker » May 31st, 2018, 7:23 pm

On Sunday of Memorial Day weekend I hiked out to Nye's Place on Steens Mtn. My purpose is always birding, and this time of May is the best for Harney County. The Jackman Park gate on the north road is always closed in late May due to snow. So you need to hike up from Jackman Park to the access road for Grove and Little Fish Creek, down the access road leads to Nye's Place. Once the gate is open and the access road is dry, you can drive the 4.25 miles I hiked just to get to the area.

The access road is all in sagebrush. This year I had to cross a total of two rather easy snowbanks.
IMG_8495.JPG
Green-tailed Towhees are one of the more common birds up there this time of year.
IMG_8502.JPG
The aspen groves have not leafed out, but they are beautiful.
IMG_8507.JPG
The two cabins at Nye's Place, the first is rather rundown.
IMG_8511.JPG
IMG_8510.JPG
The larger second cabin is open for campers.
IMG_8514.JPG
Inside:
IMG_8515.JPG
Simple rules:
IMG_8516.JPG
A short trail leads to the edge of the Blitzen Gorge:
IMG_8532.JPG
IMG_8533.JPG

A small opening in the woods around Nye's Place is actually an old jeep trail that leads to Little Fish Creek.
IMG_8522.JPG
Too much water now to walk down creek:
IMG_8541.JPG
I also took a look at the top of Grove Creek. That is an old growth aspen grove down there, just beautiful. I was looking for a subspecies of Fox Sparrow in that brush patch.
IMG_8571.JPG
From Jackman Park to the cabins, up and down the streams was a total of about 13.5 miles. You can cut over from one stream to the other, I decided against that route due to wet ground. Great day.

bobcat

Re: Nye's Place on Steens Mtn

Post by bobcat » June 6th, 2018, 1:06 pm

Thanks for the info. I had not heard of these cabins before. Did you get to see your fox sparrow?

birdhiker

Post by birdhiker » June 7th, 2018, 5:50 am

Yep. found a few, Thick-billed subspecies. Slate-colored is other subspecies, I suspect they hang out lower down along streams. No one is sure of the Fox Sparrow subspecies on Steens, very similar birds.

Charley

Post by Charley » June 7th, 2018, 8:34 pm

Very cool! Did you get to see the big storms pass through the area on Friday of that week?
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

birdhiker

Post by birdhiker » June 8th, 2018, 4:52 am

Yep, I was south of there behind Pueblo Mtn trying to get out near TenCent Meadow. I looked at sky changing and turned back to car. Got back to car with 20 min to spare. Full force of storm skipped Fields but still had some hard rain and strong winds. Burns got clobbered. Awesome sight seeing storm come up from south.