Alder Springs & Black Butte wildfire... 7/6/09 - Pics added.

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
jimsiff

Alder Springs & Black Butte wildfire... 7/6/09 - Pics added.

Post by jimsiff » July 7th, 2009, 1:58 am

My wife and kids and I had a nice day playing in Central Oregon yesterday. We hiked to Alder Springs on Squaw Creek near Sisters, Oregon, and saw the day old Black Butte II Fire grow with the help of westerly winds.

The hike was in beautiful, arid canyons in the Deschutes River drainage NE of Sisters. The wildflowers were out in spots, but probably past their peak overall. The creek crossing was a fun adventure for the kids... water up to the knees and beyond. We got a late start (3 pm), so we didn't make it all the way to the Deschutes rapids at the end of the trail. Nonetheless, it was a nice diversion from the more popular trails in the nearby Three Sisters Wilderness, and snow free to boot! :)

Here's a few pictures of the Black Butte fire from the ENE... http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 1627731230

Hike pictures are available here ... http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 1627731230
Last edited by jimsiff on July 8th, 2009, 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jim

pablo

Re: Alder Springs & Black Butte wildfire... 7/6/09

Post by pablo » July 7th, 2009, 11:34 am

Howdy,

I get a facebook login prompt when I click on either link - do the photos need some sort of permissions set? Or is it just me...

Thx,

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

jimsiff

Re: Alder Springs & Black Butte wildfire... 7/6/09

Post by jimsiff » July 8th, 2009, 10:44 pm

Thanks for the heads up. It appears that I can't share Facebook photos with the outside world without putting in specifc email addresses. Here are the pictures... first the hike, then the fire.
1.jpg
Heading down into Squaw Creek Canyon
2.jpg
Bugs on a flower...
3.jpg
Me carrying Monica and Ryan. It won't be much longer before she will have to walk all the time... ;)
4.jpg
My older boys crossing Squaw Creek near Alder Springs. Somebody was nice enough to put in a hand line, although it really wasn't necessary.
5.jpg
Looking downstream...
6.jpg
What trouble can I get myself into now that I'm out of the backpack???
7.jpg
Butterfly on a pine...
8.jpg
Ryan thinks he's #1, or maybe he's affirming that he's one. Only he knows for sure...
9.jpg
Meadow near Alder Springs
11.jpg
Evening shot of the canyon on our way out...
12.jpg
South Sister from the road on the way back to Sunriver...
fire1.jpg
Black Butte II Fire from FS Road 6360.
fire2.jpg
the fire from the beginning of the hike...
fire3.jpg
The fire at sunset...
-Jim

Eric Peterson

Re: Alder Springs & Black Butte wildfire... 7/6/09 - Pics added.

Post by Eric Peterson » July 9th, 2009, 7:08 am

Man, I am going to Bend for the coming week and Black Butte was on my shgort list of hikes to do.

Do you know if it's accessible as of yesterday? Looks like you were further south, not sure where
Squaw creek etc is.

Thanks

fettster

Post by fettster » July 9th, 2009, 7:36 am

Nice shots. How's that road for driving? That's definitely one cool kid.

jimsiff

Post by jimsiff » July 9th, 2009, 8:54 pm

Zerek: The Alder Springs part of Squaw Creek is about 10 miles East and slightly North of Black Butte. My guess is they will have the fire lookout and trail closed for some time. Currently the Black Butte and northern portion of Metolius-Windigo Trail are closed, as well as the Indian Ford Campground. You might consider Black Crater and a trip to Dee Wright Observatory on McKenzie Pass for a more up-close view of the Three Sisters, Mt. Washington, and the rest of the Cascade crest. Tumalo Mountain across from Mt. Bachelor is close to Bend and is similar mileage and elevation gain to Black Butte and has great views of Mt. Bachelor, Broken Top, and South and Middle Sister. Another highly recommended trip from the Sisters area is Tam McArthur Rim. There is still some snow at the upper elevation of the rim, but the road should be clear to Three Creek Lake and the trailhead.

FYI, here are the most current fire conditions from the Forest Service and Inciniweb:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/centraloregon/f ... ndex.shtml
http://www.inciweb.org/incident/1720/

Fettster: the roads are fine to Alder Springs trailhead. I was comfortable at 20 mph much of the time in my Honda Odyssey. There were a few dips, ruts, and rocks to watch out for, but the road was generally good. Thanks... Ryan is a little firecracker and loves to be outside.
-Jim

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » July 10th, 2009, 6:01 am

Cool info and suggestions, thanks!

Lost my Bend hike book the last time I was down there. :D

sparklehorse

Post by sparklehorse » July 10th, 2009, 8:17 am

Great report Jim, thanks! Looks like the whole family enjoyed the outing, especially #1 ;) .

G
You have to milk the cow a lot to make a bit of cheese.
~Henri Cartier-Bresson

Smugmug / Facebook

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 10th, 2009, 10:35 pm

I did that hike last May; the roads are fine, even for a tiny car. It's a fun hike -- very different scenery for someone accustomed to the Gorge and the Cascades. I went all the way down to the confluence of Whychus Creek and the Deschutes River.

markesc

Post by markesc » July 10th, 2009, 10:41 pm

Anyone know when McKenzie Pass is open??