May 3-4 Packwood Lake - Goat Rocks Wilderness

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
maobie15

May 3-4 Packwood Lake - Goat Rocks Wilderness

Post by maobie15 » May 12th, 2018, 9:44 am

Johnson Peak and Agnes Island.jpg
Hey all! This is my first trip report! I've posted other things, but never a trip report!

Anyways, my husband and I got out to do a quick overnight May 3-4 (we have weekdays off and work weekends) out at Packwood Lake in the Goat Rocks Wilderness. I wanted to post the trip report as it is a great spot for an early season trip! Plus, I don't think this trail is as talked about compared to other trails in the Goat Rocks. I had interest in this hike from last year when I read trip reports on WTA.org.

The trailhead is about 3 hours from Portland, mostly on interstate and highway. The FS road to the TH was in great condition, too! Plus, you aren't on it for very long.

So details of trail conditions and trip:

There were 5-7 logs across the trail, but only one of them caused me to pause and contemplate my route over the tree. That log was pretty big, but all of the branches are what made it difficult. However, we actually forgot about that log, that’s how much of a NON-issue it really was. All other logs are a VERY easy step over or step on top.
Pleasant forest walking.jpg
Snow was NOT an issue. There are a few patches, but most of the time you can see the trail on the other side of the snow. There were 2 snow patches that you couldn’t see the trail on the other side, but that was because the trail had a curve/bend. The snow was not difficult to cross and I didn’t use any poles. The muddiest parts of the trail tended to be around the snow patches, due to the snow melting. We didn’t encounter any snow at any of the campsites. And since I'm a week late in posting this, the snow will be even less of an issue!

There were a few small stream crossings, but no issues keeping your feet dry.

We arrived at the trailhead at 2 pm on Thursday and there were only 2 other cars. We didn’t see a single person on the trail until we got to the lake. We ran into a Packwood local who rode his dirt bike up and passed a couple who had already set up camp.

We didn’t go past our campsite that we chose, which was very close to the trail junction of trail 78 and 81, so I’m not sure what conditions are past that.
Beer, campfire, lake, mountain!.jpg
Hike out, we passed 8 different parties (a mix of backpackers and day hikers), but the trail still had plenty of solitude. There were no issues on our way back, and snow seemed even easier to cross.
Bridge over outlet stream of Packwood Lake.jpg
The only wildflowers we saw were Trillium around the lake and some Skunk Cabbage near the lake. WTA says this is a good destination for wildflowers, but clearly not this early in the season.

Views of Johnson Peak were beautiful and I loved watching the lighting on Agnes Island change.
Waiting on coffee.jpg
My AllTrails stats: 9.6 miles, 1625 ft elevation gain
Follow me on Instagram: meg.john815

“Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.” –Albert Einstein

retired jerry

Re: May 3-4 Packwood Lake - Goat Rocks Wilderness

Post by retired jerry » May 12th, 2018, 11:14 am

Thanks

The road goes to one end of the lake, and you hiked around to the other end of the lake to camp?

That's one place in the Goat Rocks I haven't got to

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » May 12th, 2018, 1:31 pm

Great first trip report! Thanks for posting. Goat Rocks seems like an amazing place. Nice pictures!

maobie15

Post by maobie15 » May 12th, 2018, 7:44 pm

retired jerry wrote:
May 12th, 2018, 11:14 am
Thanks

The road goes to one end of the lake, and you hiked around to the other end of the lake to camp?

That's one place in the Goat Rocks I haven't got to
Oh, sorry for the confusion! The trail goes from the TH to the north end of the lake. There’s another TH for horses and motorbikes with a trail that also goes to the north end of the lake. Once you get to the lake, there’s an old ranger station and a dam. The bridge goes over the outlet creek to the dam and the trail continues heading SE. You will start passing campsites and, supposedly, there’s a ton, you just have to keep hiking. And you can continue on that same trail or take a different trail and head further into the wilderness from there. You could connect trails and get over to the PCT or to Goat Lake if you wanted!
Last edited by maobie15 on May 12th, 2018, 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

maobie15

Post by maobie15 » May 12th, 2018, 7:48 pm

sgyoung wrote:
May 12th, 2018, 1:31 pm
Great first trip report! Thanks for posting. Goat Rocks seems like an amazing place. Nice pictures!
Thanks so much!!!!

This was my second time to the Goat Rocks Wilderness and I just love it! I spent 4 nights in the area around Labor Day last year, up near Goat Lake and Old Snowy. It’s sooo pretty!!! I’ve gotta make sure I make it up to the area again this summer!