Latourell Falls 4/22/18

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
arlohike

Latourell Falls 4/22/18

Post by arlohike » April 27th, 2018, 11:20 am

This hike wasn't on my radar until I saw this recent trip report:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26432

I usually wouldn't drive that far for a mere 2.5 mile loop. I'd never even stopped there on my many scenic drives and bike rides down the historic highway. I guess because you can't see the falls from the road, and because there are so many other places to stop, I just skipped it every time.

But an available hike on the Oregon side of the Gorge intrigued me, and on this day I only had time for a quickie, so it seemed like the perfect thing.

I arrived at 9:30 am on a pleasant spring Sunday (also Earth Day) and the parking area with space for about 50 cars was about half full. The parking area was buzzing, with several families loading up baby carriers, a guy selling carved walking sticks and a Trailhead Ambassador setting up her tent.

I quickly headed up the first path I saw, which starts near the middle of the parking area and goes steeply up. After just a couple minutes it reaches a viewpoint of the picture-perfect lower falls. Wow, I can't believe I never stopped here before! The trail continues to the top of the falls, where it's roped off on the cliff side, but a few paths bypass the ropes for a closer and more dangerous view. I saw a couple dudes defying death a few feet from the falls. I'd recommend waiting until a more legitimate viewpoint on the back side of the loop.

Shortly after the trail turns south to go along the creek, a side path goes down to a log across the creek. You could use that to cut the loop very short, but then you'd miss the nicest section along the creek, as well as the upper falls. This section presents all the beauty and lushness I've been missing this winter -- like a tasting flight of my favorite Gorge hikes.

After the upper falls, the loop follows the creek back on the other side, and at the top of the lower falls, splits off to a larger viewpoint. This was the location of one of only two signs on the trail, and the sign here only pointed out the main trail to the left, ignoring the viewpoint spur on the right. I stepped down the short but steep spur and couldn't see the falls at all (I didn't venture too close to the edge) but had a nice view of the river, Cape Horn and some snowy mountains further north.

From the viewpoint, you can also see the side path that goes down the log I mentioned earlier. You might take this now to turn the loop into a lollipop, because the last section wasn't as nice as the rest. The trail descends to the highway, then crosses the highway and descends further through a park / picnic area before heading back under the highway bridge ... not real scenic here, although it is cool to see the underside of the old bridge. However, if you do follow this complete route, you'll get another great look at the lower falls, from the creek level. Then it's just a short rise back up to the parking area.

For a short hike, this ended up being just what I needed this day, and something I'll keep in mind if I'm hosting friends or family who aren't big hikers. But the parking area was nearly full by the time I finished, and I imagine it's usually overflowing during the summertime. It might be possible to park down by the picnic area and start from there.

IMG_5231.JPG
When a quick snapshot makes you feel like a professional photographer.
IMG_5233.JPG
Wildflowers along the trail.
IMG_5235.JPG
Stepping into wooded wonder.
IMG_5239.JPG
So lush.
IMG_5240.JPG
Most of the trail is along the creek.
IMG_5251.JPG
The lower falls from creek level.
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)

squidvicious

Re: Latourell Falls 4/22/18

Post by squidvicious » April 27th, 2018, 4:59 pm

arlohike wrote:
April 27th, 2018, 11:20 am
I usually wouldn't drive that far for a mere 2.5 mile loop. I'd never even stopped there on my many scenic drives and bike rides down the historic highway.
To me, this particular hike really feels different doing it one direction vs the other. So I usually do one loop, then turn around and do it again in the other direction. A reasonable few miles without really feeling like you're just going rehashing the same ground. Still not something you'd want to drive any distance for, I'm sure, but for me in Troutdale it's a great last-minute decision option.
But the parking area was nearly full by the time I finished, and I imagine it's usually overflowing during the summertime. It might be possible to park down by the picnic area and start from there.
Yes, it gets quite bad, even as far off the main waterfall loop as it is. There's no parking lot down in that picnic area, just on-street. It probably would still be an option, especially since it's not so intuitive how to get down there, but if it's so busy that you need to resort to that you're probably not going to want to stop anyway. At least, I wouldn't.