Fall Creek Falls (North Umpqua) 1-23-18

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Fall Creek Falls (North Umpqua) 1-23-18

Post by bobcat » January 27th, 2018, 10:40 am

I stayed with friends who live near this short National Recreation Trail, so stopped to hike it on the way out. Fall Creek rushes down a mossy forested valley filled with a jumble of massive boulders. Near the beginning of the trail, there’s a narrow defile, about as wide as one human, that you have to wind through. Old-growth Douglas-firs are scattered about. I took the diversion to Job’s Garden, where you can see a collapsing basalt wall undergoing a millennial process of folding (This is 30 million-year-old Old Cascades basalt, not the younger than a million years rock of the High Cascades).
Fall Creek, Fall Creek Falls Trail, North Umpqua.jpg
Looking back at the defile, Fall Creek Falls Trail, North Umpqua.jpg
Mossy defile, Fall Creek Falls Trail, North Umpqua.jpg
Cascades, Fall Creek Falls Trail, North Umpqua.jpg
Collapsed columns, Jobs Garden, Fall Creek Falls Trail, North Umpqua.jpg
Footbridge, Fall Creek Falls Trail, North Umpqua.jpg
Then it was on to the lower (and highest) tier of Fall Creek Falls, which plunges prettily over a mossy face. The sign at the trailhead talks of two tiers, other sources say four, but I counted three. The path switchbacks up to a head-on view of the middle tier where it spouts out of a narrow cleft. Then I hiked up to FR 4710, the original North Umpqua Highway before Highway 138 was built. I walked left over the road bridge, and dropped down to a mossy promontory to get a face-on view of the upper tier, which spills prettily over a 10-foot drop, all three tiers totaling about 100 feet.
Fall Creek Falls, North Umpqua.jpg
Base of Fall Creek Falls, North Umpqua.jpg
Side view, Fall Creek Falls, North Umpqua.jpg
Second tier, Fall Creek Falls, North Umpqua.jpg
Upper trailhead, Fall Creek Falls, FR 4710, North Umpqua.jpg
Upper tier, Fall Creek Falls, North Umpqua.jpg
Earlier in the day, we had wandered about driving on forest roads and crossed Fall Creek higher up, passing below Ramsay Falls, a taller cascade that is not readily visible in the summer when everything is leafed out.
Sign, Ramsay Falls, Fall Creek, Umpqua N.F..jpg
Ramsay Falls, Fall Creek, Umpqua N.F..jpg

justpeachy

Re: Fall Creek Falls (North Umpqua) 1-23-18

Post by justpeachy » January 28th, 2018, 5:42 pm

Pretty! There are some lovely spots down that way, but it's a bit too far for a two-day weekend so I haven't been there in awhile.