Bonney Butte - July 30, 2017

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pablo

Bonney Butte - July 30, 2017

Post by pablo » August 1st, 2017, 10:13 pm

The plan was to visit Bonney Butte, go north on the ridge then drop down to the saddle there at Bennett Pass Rd. From there I'd pick up Gunsight Butte trail and investigate a trail fragment I'd seen in Google Earth and discussed on the lost trails forum in 2011. That part of this report is at the following link - scroll down to the end of that post for my description of the lost trail exploration.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6818

After that, Gunsight to Gumjuwac Saddle. Hike from there down to Hwy 35 and ride my stashed bike back to the Bonney Meadows TH off the 48 rd where I'd started. Didn't work out that way, spent too much time on the lost trail fragment to do the whole thing so I'll try again someday. I hope to spend more days exploring the area in and around Badger Creek Wilderness, mostly new to me.

View looking south from a bare patch on Bonney Butte, just off the road below the top.

ImageIMG_5906 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Jefferson with a layer of smoke on the western side.

ImageIMG_5949 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Around the corner for a look at Hood

ImageIMG_5929 by pauljess999, on Flickr

There are some signs at the old lookout location, this one is about the lookout

ImageIMG_5933 by pauljess999, on Flickr

They do raptor surveys in August and there are signs describing raptors and the species seen in this area.

ImageIMG_5935 by pauljess999, on Flickr

I was hoping to get a good look at Bonney Meadows but I was just able to squeeze a look through some trees

ImageIMG_5964 by pauljess999, on Flickr

To continue with the plan I looked for the trail going north along the ridgeline. Easy to find right at the last turn in the road before the lookout location. Right down the middle in this photo.

ImageIMG_5968 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Trail on the ridge is in good shape and has seen some maintenance. I went a bit further and found one reason why there was trail. Initially I thought this was the typical rogue campsite we see so often in the woods off the trail. But no, this was a blind used in the raptor study process. I don't know if it is actively used or not. I guess they get a pass on 'Leave No Trace'.

ImageIMG_5979 by pauljess999, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5982 by pauljess999, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5996 by pauljess999, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5990 by pauljess999, on Flickr

The view from one of the viewing slots is pretty nice

ImageIMG_6009 by pauljess999, on Flickr

There is a sign just before the blind with instructions on how to approach.

ImageIMG_5994 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Not the first time I've seen an operation like this, I ran across one while hiking offtrail north of Boise, ID. At first I thought it was some sort of illegal hunting operation as I ran into the traps first and the people later. A couple of photos follow from back then (2002). I'm guessing the trapping is still done this way given the equipment I'd seen at the camp. Pigeons are used as bait then a net is triggered to capture the raptor when they come in for lunch. Do birds get PTSD?

Imagetrap0 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Is that a sad face?

Imagetrap1 by pauljess999, on Flickr

I continued north on the ridgeline, the trail getting fainter but still signs of maintenance. Saw no more blinds but I did see some hawks that seemed to regard me with some suspicion. I popped out at the end of the ridge and prepared for the steep descent to Bennett Pass Rd. Last look before diving off the ridge.

ImageIMG_6054 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Started as a narrow ridge with a few rock outcrops to scramble up over and around. Trees were small and made convenient belays.

ImageIMG_6055 by pauljess999, on Flickr

The last bit before getting to the road could use some work. Some class 3 to get down to the road.

ImageIMG_6068 by pauljess999, on Flickr

This outing was about 10 miles, 3100' cumulative. Interesting sights and the lost trail segment was fun. I'll have to make more trips to this area. I did a road walk back as it was hot and I was out of water and in an hurry. Saw no motorized vehicles all day. Did see 2 MTBers - one on Bennett Pass Rd and another on Gunsight Butte.

ImageBonneyButteMap by pauljess999, on Flickr
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Charley

Re: Bonney Butte - July 30, 2017

Post by Charley » August 1st, 2017, 10:28 pm

I've skied up there several times; I always wondered what it would be like in the summer. Now I know!
Thanks!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » August 2nd, 2017, 9:19 am

Ugh. I've been to that banding station when it's in operation. HawkWatch needs to make sure they tidy up the premises before they leave in October!

Also, thanks for the info on the segment of the Bennett Pass Trail in the other thread. I've wondered about that myself.

pcg

Post by pcg » August 2nd, 2017, 1:44 pm

bobcat wrote:Ugh. I've been to that banding station when it's in operation. HawkWatch needs to make sure they tidy up the premises before they leave in October!
No kidding. I'm surprised they left such a mess. I just emailed them a link to this thread.

pcg

Post by pcg » August 2nd, 2017, 1:50 pm

pablo wrote: Pigeons are used as bait then a net is triggered to capture the raptor when they come in for lunch.
Just in case anyone is wondering, the pigeon is not harmed. A mist net captures the eagle/hawk/falcon that is coming in for the kill. The raptor is quickly ID'd, weighed, banded, and released. Hawk Watch International does great work monitoring raptor populations. The public is welcome to come sit in the blinds and watch the operation in the fall. Like Bobcat, I've done this and it is really fascinating to watch.
That said, what a mess they left behind!

pcg

Post by pcg » August 2nd, 2017, 5:34 pm

pcg wrote:... I just emailed them a link to this thread.
and their immediate response...

"We just received your message about the trash left behind at Bonney Butte and sincerely appreciate the message. We have been conducting raptor migration counts, education, trapping and banding at Bonney Butte since 1994. Although we stress the importance of land use ethics and Leave No Trace principles to our crews, we sometimes, unfortunately have mishaps where the site is not left in proper order. We take this very seriously and are in the process of cleaning up the site as much trash and junk has built up over the years.

Last year we removed several hundred pounds of remnants left at the site over the past few season and intend to continue cleaning things up this season. The structure in your photos is the trapping blind which is used seasonally from late August-October. We partner with the USFS to do this work and have an agreement to leave the blind in place throughout the year but certainly have no excuse for the trash at the location. The junk in the photo will be removed this season and should be left in order following the conclusion of our 2017 Fall Migration season.

We hope you'll come visit again and can meet our crew after August 27th this season. Sorry for the inconvenience but thank you for bringing the issue to our attention."

pablo

Post by pablo » August 3rd, 2017, 9:14 am

pcg wrote:
pcg wrote:... I just emailed them a link to this thread.
and their immediate response...

"We just received your message about the trash left behind at Bonney Butte and sincerely appreciate the message. We have been conducting raptor migration counts, education, trapping and banding at Bonney Butte since 1994. Although we stress the importance of land use ethics and Leave No Trace principles to our crews, we sometimes, unfortunately have mishaps where the site is not left in proper order. We take this very seriously and are in the process of cleaning up the site as much trash and junk has built up over the years.

Last year we removed several hundred pounds of remnants left at the site over the past few season and intend to continue cleaning things up this season. The structure in your photos is the trapping blind which is used seasonally from late August-October. We partner with the USFS to do this work and have an agreement to leave the blind in place throughout the year but certainly have no excuse for the trash at the location. The junk in the photo will be removed this season and should be left in order following the conclusion of our 2017 Fall Migration season.

We hope you'll come visit again and can meet our crew after August 27th this season. Sorry for the inconvenience but thank you for bringing the issue to our attention."
Thanks, pcg, for looking into this. I'm satisfied with their response but I was disappointed to see the trash and disorder left behind and I'll make an effort to revisit in October as a followup.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.