7/22-23 Timberline Loop

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
retired jerry

Re: 7/22-23 Timberline Loop

Post by retired jerry » July 31st, 2017, 1:45 pm

we are lost in Peabody land, poor OP. At least we're on page 2 so by now hopefully the question got answered.

Damn, I lost the link to Peabody's list :x

buckwheat

Post by buckwheat » August 1st, 2017, 4:02 am

Yeah ditto to what everyone above said. Timberline is totally hikeable in the heat, and it will be hot, but it will be much better than the valley floor. Lots of water, and expect your pace to not be stellar due to all the creek crossings and gravelly/sandy parts of the trail that just sort of slow your steps. And afternoon naps are just great. My experience has been that even if you lose a couple hours of hiking in the afternoon, you gain a few in the evening, and it mostly evens out. Rather than being exhausted and stopping at 6, you're feeling refreshed and willing to go until dark.

Have a blast up there, and welcome to your vacation.

Word Nerd

Post by Word Nerd » August 2nd, 2017, 2:03 pm

retired jerry wrote:Friday would be better :)

The heat isn't as bad as in Texas, dry.
We are from the Dallas area. The heat today isn't bad to us. It's warm, but not nearly as bad as summer at home! Probably sticking to leaving tomorrow now that the forecast isn't so different between Thursday and Friday.

We just talked to a ranger at the Zigzag station and he had a much different idea of what the downed tree situation where the Paradise Park Loop meets the PCT is like. He made it sound like it is completely impassible and dangerous as heck. I guess he has to say that, but it does not jive with the reports here at all!

buckwheat

Post by buckwheat » August 3rd, 2017, 12:47 am

Yeah. It was a inconvenience, and added 5 minutes or so to the overall hike, but nothing seemed dangerous or impossible(impassible?) to me. The logs all seemed very secure where they were resting, not like they were about to tumble down the slope any further.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » August 3rd, 2017, 6:32 am

buckwheat wrote:Yeah. It was a inconvenience, and added 5 minutes or so to the overall hike, but nothing seemed dangerous or impossible(impassible?) to me. The logs all seemed very secure where they were resting, not like they were about to tumble down the slope any further.
Ditto. I did it July 24 and it's a pain, but definitely not impossible, impassible, or dangerous. Worst case, you might skin a knee.