Tried to get into Eagle Cap Wilderness

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
ghsmith76

Tried to get into Eagle Cap Wilderness

Post by ghsmith76 » July 18th, 2017, 6:51 am

@AussieBrook and I knew heading into the Eagle Cap Wilderness from the Wallowa Lake Trailhead that I may not be able to access my desired objectives but the unknown is just as alluring. I got a late start after dropping my wife off at the Fishtrap Writers Conference on Monday 7/10 ending up where the trail to Ice Lake splits from the West Fork Wallowa River Trail. I decided to climb to Ice Lake as a day hike on Tuesday.

The climb from the split is a good steady 2500 foot vertical, so kind of nice for Brook and I not to be carrying our backpacks. This hike is primo, hillside meadows, roaring streams, waterfalls and great views.
Here is a video showing some of the waterfalls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-dojyFscXY

The reward at the top is a majestic lake in a high mountain bowl.Image

For the second half of the trip I was hoping to get to the Lakes Basin, camp at Mirror Lake, even though I knew it would be iced over. I would then do another day hike to the many lakes in the area and then come out after 4 nights in the Wallowa’s. Unfortunately the bridge is gone for the stream crossing at 6 Mile Meadow and the trees jammed together would not allow for Brook to safely cross. I talked with a USFS trail crew who confirmed the risk of that crossing and another that you would have to wade through at waist level. So we opted to head for Frazer Lake even though we knew it was also covered by snow.

Much of the trail was a small stream, but passable. I had to navigate a number of downed trees, however the trail crew cleared them all for my return trip. I got to about a mile from Frazier Lake before giving up and camping at the stream crossing over to the 7 Mile Camp.

The full trip report can be found at: https://adventurecontinues.org/2017/07/ ... -ice-lake/
GHSMITH76
Blog:AdventureContinues.org

justpeachy

Re: Tried to get into Eagle Cap Wilderness

Post by justpeachy » July 18th, 2017, 9:49 am

Unfortunately the bridge is gone for the stream crossing at 6 Mile Meadow and the trees jammed together would not allow for Brook to safely cross.
I don't think they'll ever replace that bridge. It was out when I visited in 2007:

Still out in 2012:

drm

Post by drm » July 18th, 2017, 10:06 am

There was no bridge there last year either.

So Ice Lake is melted out but the main Lakes Basin is not? Isn't it as high as Mirror Lake?

texasbb

Post by texasbb » July 18th, 2017, 10:57 am

drm wrote: So Ice Lake is melted out but the main Lakes Basin is not? Isn't it as high as Mirror Lake?
Ice Lake is about 7850 ft, Horseshoe about 7150, Mirror about 7600. That said, I don't see in Mr. Smith's report that he got anywhere close to the Lakes Basin to see its condition. He stopped ~1 mile short of Frazier Lake (which is about 7130 ft), and based on his pictures, there was no snow at all there. He did say he "knew" Frazier was still frozen, but I don't think we got confirmation of that.

Sir Smith, can you clarify? Enquiring minds headed to 8400-ft passes next week want to know! :)

ghsmith76

Post by ghsmith76 » July 18th, 2017, 11:38 am

I spoke with others who had been to the Lakes Basin. The USFS crew said Douglas Lake was starting to open up. Your photos of the river crossing look much better then what we saw. The water is high. I should have taken a photo. I backpacked into the Lakes Basin from the Two Pan Trailhead 5 years ago so I assumed there would be an easier access from Wallowa Lake side. This year the trees across the stream were haphazard and could be navigated by human's able to hold on to various branches. Unfortunately, my dog would not be able to grab on to those branches. I will say that Ice Lake was a strong second to Glacier Lake in beauty.
GHSMITH76

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » July 18th, 2017, 12:00 pm

The Lakes Basin was totally snowed in still only a week prior to this trip, per another TR: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25726

Though judging by Ice Lake, perhaps things are melting quickly now that high summer has dropped. A lot can melt in 2 weeks...
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

drm

Post by drm » July 18th, 2017, 12:27 pm

Here's what the crossing at 6 Mile Meadow looked like last year - and at about this date. But we all know what a difference a year makes.

cunningkeith

Post by cunningkeith » July 18th, 2017, 12:42 pm

Nice to get this report on conditions up there. How were the bugs? Thanks!

ghsmith76

Post by ghsmith76 » July 18th, 2017, 1:22 pm

Concerning the bugs. Everyone told me prior to going in that the bugs were bad. I consider bad to be possibly wanting to use a net. The bugs were not bad, they were interested in you as the day cooled down but a little bug repellent and you were fine.

As for the snow melt, yes, it is warm and the melt is at maximum right now. A local told me he had never seen the streams running so high.
GHSMITH76

texasbb

Post by texasbb » July 18th, 2017, 3:58 pm

Appreciate the info, ghs. I've got 6 days to decide whether or not to cross Wonker Pass. I'm a little nervous because one in my group will be doing it on a brand new knee.