Wildflowers and views on Soda Mountain - 7/2/17

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
justpeachy

Wildflowers and views on Soda Mountain - 7/2/17

Post by justpeachy » July 6th, 2017, 6:00 pm

Our Sunday hike took us up to Soda Mountain and a wildflower bonanza:

This had not been our original plan. It had been our intention to explore around Observation Peak (southeast of Mt. Ashland) and to check out the lookout on Dutchman Peak. But just 1.5 miles past Grouse Gap we encountered this on Road 20 at 6900':

CRAP. We still had three more days up here and everything else we wanted to do was down that road. I was incredibly annoyed because on June 27 the Rogue River Siskiyou National Forest had posted on Facebook that the gate on Road 20 was open, saying nothing whatsoever about snow still being on the road. And when I called on June 28 to ask about access to the Wrangle Campground (beyond that snowdrift), they didn't say anything about the road being impassible. :x

So we sat here on the road, pouring over the books and maps, trying to decide what to do. I felt annoyed at having wasted time planning a weekend itinerary that was never possible, and annoyed at the Forest Service for yet again leading me astray. At least we had a nice view from this spot.

We weren't sure about Monday and Tuesday, but for today we decided to head over to Soda Mountain in the Cascade Siskiyou National Monument. It was pleasant and warm up in the mountains, but as we descended down into Ashland the temperature shot up. We wound our way east over to the monument and parked at the trailhead. The PCT crosses the road here and we'd be heading south on the trail.

We quickly hit a wildflower bonanza. Yowza!

Mt. Ashland in the distance. Our campground is right below the summit.

We could see ahead to the summit of Soda Mountain:

The trail entered the cool shady forest, which felt great because it was really hot out.

After a mile an unofficial trail heads uphill from the PCT and joins up with the rough dirt road that accesses the summit. This short little connector doesn't appear to receive much maintenance.

Then it was a hot trudge up the road to the summit. This part was just under a mile.

The summit is rather ugly, crowded with all sorts of towers and equipment. There's so much of it that the lookout itself is dwarfed by it all. The mountain for which the wilderness is named doesn't feel like wilderness at all:

Mt. McLoughlin:

Looking northeast:

Pilot Rock:

Summit wildflowers:

And of course, Mt. Shasta:

Are those the Trinity Alps, the snowy mountains to the right of Shasta?

We crawled under a deck by the radio tower for some shade while we ate a snack. Then it was a quick hike back to the car. It was really hot so we stopped in at Caldera Brewing for some Plan B research and some cold beers before heading back to our campground.

Back at our cooler high-elevation campground we enjoyed the vistas from our campsite:

And at midnight I got up to check out the stars. It wasn't the best star-gazing conditions because of the BRIGHT moon, but it was still pretty cool. Mt. Ashland behind our campsite:

Looking south with Mt. Shasta barely visible on the left:

mjirving

Re: Wildflowers and views on Soda Mountain - 7/2/17

Post by mjirving » July 6th, 2017, 6:14 pm

Great stuff Cheryl! I hiked the PCT Through there a few years ago, fun to see it again, particularly earlier in the summer than when I was there.

Mike/GoalTech

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 6th, 2017, 6:29 pm

Did you notice the boundary of the Soda Mountain Wilderness? It completely surrounds yet exempts that road and the mountaintop.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » July 6th, 2017, 7:31 pm

adamschneider wrote:Did you notice the boundary of the Soda Mountain Wilderness? It completely surrounds yet exempts that road and the mountaintop.
Ah ha! I didn't catch that.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » July 7th, 2017, 6:28 pm

Nice! Too bad about FR 20 being blocked by snow. I assume you were coming along it from Mt. Ashland? You might have been able to get in from its other end in the Applegate Valley since it's all below 6000 feet over there. At least you found solace at Caldera. :D

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » July 7th, 2017, 7:11 pm

VanMarmot wrote:Too bad about FR 20 being blocked by snow. I assume you were coming along it from Mt. Ashland? You might have been able to get in from its other end in the Applegate Valley since it's all below 6000 feet over there.
Yes, we were coming from the direction of Mt. Ashland. We thought about trying to come at it from the other side, but we weren't familiar with the road and we weren't sure if there were other snow drifts or downed trees or other obstacles. Clearly the Forest Service had no idea about the condition of their road, so we couldn't ask them. We decided we'd have to come back another time.

McChaix

Post by McChaix » July 8th, 2017, 2:00 pm

I think the snow covered ridge west of Shasta in your photo is Mt Eddy. It is on the north edge of the Trinty Alps. The Trinity Alps Wilderness is just beyond it to the SW. Glad you posted this - I was planning a summit hike there and it looks like it won't melt out for another month.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 8th, 2017, 2:54 pm

I was in Trinity Alps a couple weeks ago. Snow above about 6000 feet. I was able to get over the Granite Creek pass and Black/Mumsford basins. The Deer Creek pass looked too difficult for me.