Ape Canyon (Mt. St. Helens) - 7/2/2017

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
neilsonw

Ape Canyon (Mt. St. Helens) - 7/2/2017

Post by neilsonw » July 3rd, 2017, 2:47 pm

Took a little trip to the south side of Mt. St. Helens to hit a trail we've never done before and put in a few miles before our summit attempt later this week (wow, that thing is intimidating). This is such a great hike! I think you end up about two lateral miles from the rim of the crater without all that much effort, not to mention views in every other direction.

Thought I'd share in case people were curious about conditions here. There are only three snow fields left on the route--one is a larger one at the end on the north side of Pumice Butte (which we opted not to cross this time, but it didn't look like a problem) and another is smaller but right above the chasm right at the top of Ape Canyon. Those uncomfortable with exposure might want to wait a little while for that one to melt out because you don't want to slip there. Otherwise, amazing conditions except for the annoying-yet-tolerable mosquitoes.

No goats, but a couple of marmots sunbathing :)

The less-than-safe snowfield (I'd assume that's some seismic equipment in the back?)

This is a spectacular campsite--can you just backcountry camp in this area? Do you need a permit?

Interesting patterns (caused by wind?)

Turnaround point

The Plains themselves with a Mt. Margaret Backcountry peak on the far horizon

Something was swirling in the wind in this gully on the way back down.. just ash and dust?

~ 9.9 mi, 1800' gain

Chip Down

Re: Ape Canyon (Mt. St. Helens) - 7/2/2017

Post by Chip Down » July 3rd, 2017, 4:15 pm

Ahh, there we go. Been waiting for a TR on the plains. It's been on my maybe-any-day-now list for a while. Was starting to wonder if I might have to be the one to go check it out. Thanks for posting.

neilsonw

Post by neilsonw » July 3rd, 2017, 5:32 pm

Glad it helped!

bghiker

Post by bghiker » July 3rd, 2017, 5:35 pm

Nice pics...glad to see the plains are all melted out. Guess I know where I'm going later this week. You can camp anywhere in there with no permit. The blast zone is off limits for camping and you need a permit for the Mt Margaret backcountry. Other than that no permits are required anywhere on the Loowit. There are a lot of amazing spots on the Plains of Abraham.

mrblisterdundee

Post by mrblisterdundee » July 3rd, 2017, 5:48 pm

Sweet. I had tried it a month ago from the Windy Ridge side, but turned back at a sketchier snow bank because I didn't have traction.

neilsonw

Post by neilsonw » July 3rd, 2017, 6:46 pm

Hmm, I haven't made it to the Windy Ridge area yet but now I see how it all connects--cool. Sounds like an approach similar in difficulty but maybe more scenic?

And thanks for the camping info! I would love to snag that spot we found for an overnight sometime. Just a little exposed.