Blast Zone expedition

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mrblisterdundee

Blast Zone expedition

Post by mrblisterdundee » June 12th, 2017, 9:02 am

Another poster on Oregon Hikers said crampons and an ice axe were still needed for places like Coldwater Peak, so I opted for a longer, lower-elevation expedition from Johnston Ridge Observatory and through the blast zone to the eastern flank of Mount St. Helens to see of the wildflowers were coming in on the Plains of Abraham. I turned around about 1 mile short after running into a steep portion of snow crossing with a big dropoff below, but it was still a nice jaunt.
This was my first time in the blast zone, which was chock-full of wildflowers.
Blast Zone 6.jpg
There was a pair of birds flying around together amid the flowers. I attempted to get a picture of their playing, but they were too fast. Finally, one started flying against the wind, slowing it down to a gentle up and down.
Blast Zone 5.jpg
The flowers provided a nice frame for Spirit Lake, along with the snowy Mt. Margaret Backcountry above.
Blast Zone 1.jpg
Loowit Falls was in full force, although I just passed by from a distance on my way to the Abraham Trail.
Blast Zone 2.jpg
At the end of the blast zone before climbing onto the ridges, I had two choices for getting to the Plains of Abraham: Windy Pass or a series of gulleys on the other side of a wind-swept ridge. The solid snow pack I could see on Windy Pass made the choice easy.
Blast Zone 3.jpg
The Abraham Trail follows the top of a wind-blasted ridge with wonderful views of St. Helens and the Dog's Head, but with a constant tug and pull of the wind with big falls waiting on either side.
Blast Zone 9.jpg
About 1 mile away from the Plains of Abraham, and after slipping down one snow field, I ran into an even bigger field covering a gulley that emptied out into a big drop at the bottom. Most of it fine, but there was a steeper section at the end. With no traction devices, and with an ominous cloud blowing toward me over St. Helens, I aired on the side of caution and turned around.
On the way back, I looked over my shoulder after noticing the top of Mt. Margaret peeking at me over the ridges.
Blast Zone 7.jpg
Plains of Abraham or no, it was a solid 18-mile hike with some areas of the mountain I hadn't seen before. My microspikes are supposed to arrive in the mail this week, so I'll probably be back later this month. If you're looking for the route, CalTopo provides a pretty comprehensive listing of trails. I just drew a rectangle around the area I was traversing and saved it as a PDF.
Blast Zone 10.jpg

jtrekkie3

Re: Blast Zone expedition

Post by jtrekkie3 » June 13th, 2017, 9:23 am

Which trailhead did you start from?

mrblisterdundee

Post by mrblisterdundee » June 13th, 2017, 10:07 am

jtrekkie3 wrote:Which trailhead did you start from?
Johnston Ridge Observatory

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » June 13th, 2017, 5:19 pm

Man, that looks like a fun hike. I love MSH. Any sense of elevation gain over those 18 miles?

Cool bird and wild flower pictures too.

Thanks for posting.

mrblisterdundee

Post by mrblisterdundee » June 14th, 2017, 7:09 am

sgyoung wrote:Man, that looks like a fun hike. I love MSH. Any sense of elevation gain over those 18 miles?

Cool bird and wild flower pictures too.

Thanks for posting.
Not very much elevation gain — maybe 1,000 feet overall.