Munra Point from Wahclella TH - 5/31/17

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
dmthomas49

Munra Point from Wahclella TH - 5/31/17

Post by dmthomas49 » June 1st, 2017, 1:22 pm

Munra Point 1.jpg
Started at the Wahclella Falls parking lot at 8:45 with temp about 62. Made my way around to the 400 trail going up the hill and connected with an 18 year old kid from Seattle doing the same hike. It was the first time for both of us. So we decided to hike to the top together. We found the trail up from 400.
Trail Sign.jpg
I knew this hike would be difficult from the trail directions and trip reports, but the trail was steeper and more slippery than I expected. The steep area with just dirt makes it impossible to use poles going either up or down. I should have gotten some photos of the dirtchute, but was working so hard to keep from falling and my hands were very dirty. I was wondering if micro spikes would work here? I have not spent so much time on one hike working on all fours. My poles were mostly useless except on the top ridges.
So we trudged up several times thinking we were about to crest, but then another steep climb was ahead.
Steep up scramble.jpg
When you really know you are close is when you get to the Chimney Scramble. This was challenging going up, but more so on the way down. Getting into my late 60s is making hikes like this much more difficult!
Chimney Scramble.jpg
Made it to the top.
Approaching top.jpg
The view is fantastic. One ridge edge, I would not go out on. But my new hiking companion did.
Sharp Ridge Edge.jpg
Nice views of Mt Adams, Cascade Locks, and the river.
Mt Adams.jpg
Cascade Locks.jpg
River to West.jpg
Spent about 30 minutes on top. I explored the ridges to the South, took a quick lunch break and headed back down.
Trail Around Ridge.jpg
Took my time climbing down the Chimney. The rest of the decent was difficult as well, especially the dirt chute. I almost slipped several times.
Saw several other people on the way up. Some I could predict were not going to make it. I will not be doing this hike again!
Start point.jpg
Total time 3 hours 30 minutes.
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

Chip Down

Re: Munra Point from Wahclella TH - 5/31/17

Post by Chip Down » June 1st, 2017, 8:27 pm

Oh drat! I misinterpreted your topic title. Somehow thought you went up directly from Wahclella, offtrail. :shock: (has been done, but rarely)
Oh well, still a fun TR to read.
Nice that you managed to pick up a hiking partner on the way. Only hiking partners I ever pick up are ticks. And, once, a talkative guy who wouldn't stay more than a few feet behind me, and unfortunately was fit enough to keep up.