Lewis River Trail

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Lewis River Trail

Post by drm » May 10th, 2017, 6:26 am

I spent three days and hiked the full length of the Lewis River Trail. I ran into snow for the final northermost half mile of the trail (at the high altitude of 1700 feet). Day 1 I started at Curly Creek and hiked almost the full length of the trail, camping just below Upper Falls. Most of the trail is logged out and in good condition - until you get past Middle Falls. There are a fair number of logs down and a few washouts over the final two miles. Day 2 I dayhiked the last mile of the trail, which included the Upper Falls viewpoint that I didn't even know existed, and up to Road 90. Across the road, the Quartz Creek trail appeared to be 100% under snow, so I road walked to Lewis River Horse Camp. I returned about half way down the trail to the overlook for that night and out the third day.

Full trip report is at http://www.deanmyerson.org/lewis-river-2017

Lower Falls

Upper Falls

View from the overlook, night 2 camp

retired jerry

Re: Lewis River Trail

Post by retired jerry » May 10th, 2017, 6:40 am

That's a good idea for a spring hike

Jesse

Post by Jesse » May 10th, 2017, 10:44 pm

retired jerry wrote:That's a good idea for a spring hike
Sounds like there's still some snow up there though. Aren't you allergic to that stuff?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 11th, 2017, 4:50 am

I don't mind some snow. I don't really like postholing long distances are falling on my behind or camping on snow.

Encountering some snow is sort of a rite of spring :)

drm

Post by drm » May 11th, 2017, 6:58 am

There was 6" to a foot of snow for the last half mile, none before. How long can that last? Lewis River is one of my go-to spring hikes. Living in the Gorge, the issue is usually when will the route of Old Man Pass and Curly Creek open, by which time the trail is fine. There was still 3 feel of snow around Old Man Pass. For some reason they kept that open all winter this year, and the route from the west has various problem, though it is passable. But for me, sunny days in May = Lewis River trail.
Last edited by drm on May 12th, 2017, 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

miah66

Post by miah66 » May 11th, 2017, 2:33 pm

So is it possible to drive to the TH via Wind River Rd to Curly Creek Rd, or do you have to approach via 503 thru Cougar?
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider