GoalTechHikes God's Thumb - Mud or Trail...or both?

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
dmthomas49

Re: GoalTechHikes God's Thumb - Mud or Trail...or both?

Post by dmthomas49 » May 9th, 2018, 7:49 am

Did the Thumb of God hike yesterday, May 8. The mud was not too bad and easy to bypass.
Your instructions on finding the trail were excellent. I had no problems. This is a very short and easy hike. The weather was perfect, sunny and cool, 50s. The parking situation is definitely a challenge. I parked down the road on the right, past all the no parking signs. A Lincoln City police car was sitting at the cul-de-sac when I came down, so I don’t recommend testing the no parking regulations.
Two guys behind me on the hike up, went over the steep side at the saddle of the thumb ridge. They had a lot of difficultly not falling down, but made it. Not sure where they were headed...
I definitely recommend this for a short hike.
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 9th, 2018, 8:59 am

Nice!! I did know of this hike so thanks for posting. Now that most of the mud has dried out locally I'm starting to miss it so need to go find this "luxury" mud you speak of.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

mjirving

Post by mjirving » May 9th, 2018, 6:39 pm

Glad to hear you both are able to make good use of the report. I had hiked it last year on Spring Break, so I'd hope the mud would be firming up by now. :lol:

That was a real doozy! (the mud) What a great payoff for such a short hike though.

Mike

bobcat

Post by bobcat » May 9th, 2018, 8:07 pm

Just FYI, I've rewritten the Field Guide notes on The Thumb. Lincoln City doesn't want anyone going in from Logan Street as that first muddy stretch is on private land and locals have been complaining about illegal parking. Now it's an out-and-back hike from farther south:

https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... _Loop_Hike