Grassy Knoll and beyond -- THIS IS THE WEEKEND! 7-5-08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Waffle Stomper

Grassy Knoll and beyond -- THIS IS THE WEEKEND! 7-5-08

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 5th, 2008, 10:09 pm

Flowers, flowers, flowers! That is all I need to say about our trip today to Grassy Knoll and beyond to Grassy Pass. There were balsamroot, paintbrush, lupine, phlox . . . oh, I give up there was just too many blossoms to list. It seems as if all the flowers of spring and early summer decided to bloom at once.

Not too late for your last balsamroot fix of the year.

If you love wildflowers, now is the time to pack up your camera, tripod and lenses and head up this trail. The flowers are definitely at their peak right now. If you are lucky the sun will shine for you and you will have the vistas of the Columbia River Gorge, Mount Hood, and the valleys to the east. Don’t just stop at Grassy Knoll where there was once a lookout. For the balsamroot go beyond to Grassy Pass, it is worth the extra distance.

Columbines

Lupines and more

On the Edge of the Forest

Lupine Leaves

More Flowers

Going Home

Following are the directions found in William Sullivan’s “100 Hikes in Northwest Oregon” 2003 edition:
After crossing the bridge at Cascade locks ($1 toll), “turn right on Highway 14 for 5.9 miles, turn left through Carson on Highway 30 for 4.2 miles, and then turn right on Bear Creek Road. Follow this road—which becomes Road 6808—for 3.6 paved miles and an additional 7.2 miles of curvy, one-lane gravel to Triangle pass. Then turn left onto Road 68 for 2.1 miles to where Road 511 joins from the right. Look for the Grassy Knoll sign 50 feet up this side road.” I’ll add that I did not see a Road 68 sign. You will see a trailhead sign at that intersection but you make a left there to follow William’s directions. Also over the years the road has become quite a bit rougher. This may be the last season I drive my ’96 Subaru legacy wagon there. It does not have a lot of ground clearance and the tow rings scraped the ground a couple times.

A note to dog owners, there are no streams for the dogs to drink from. This can be a hot hike when the sun is out.
Last edited by Waffle Stomper on July 6th, 2008, 11:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

meana39

Re: Grassy Knoll and beyond -- THIS IS THE WEEKEND! 7-5-08

Post by meana39 » July 5th, 2008, 10:44 pm

I just hiked the upper portion where this trail connects with the PCT....although I didn't make it as far as the Grassy Knoll trail because of all the snow. I'll have to give this one a try now that I've seen all the flowers. I missed Dog Mountain's show this year, I was in Canada.
Sounds like I should borrow the hubby's Toyota 4x4 though, I took my Ford LTD last year on this road and bottomed out a bit....so if it's worse now.
Thanks for the lovely photos....I enjoyed them all!
Lori
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

fettster

Post by fettster » July 8th, 2008, 6:37 am

That's really cool to see Balsamroot so late in the season. Thanks for the heads up on the driving directions. What was the condition of the trail with the late snow melt?

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 8th, 2008, 6:42 am

The trail was in good condition with a small amount of overgrowth encroaching the trail.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 8th, 2008, 6:59 am

Love that photo of the Lupine leaves! Very nice trip report!

Navigator

Post by Navigator » July 10th, 2008, 8:04 am

Thanks Martel, for the link and help with the password.
And thanks WS, for the trip report.
Meana, I'm a little confused, you say you hiked the upper portion where the PCT is, but couldn't get to the Grassy Knoll Trail (trailhead?) because of snow? Does that mean the road to Grassy Knoll is snowed in? Were you up by Big Huckelberry Mt.? Did you take the road from Wind River or Carson?
Thanks for the help.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 10th, 2008, 8:22 am

The road from Carson is clear without any snow. The trail to Grassy Knoll is snow free there are a few small patches in valleys as you go beyond the lookout/viewpoint to Grassy Pass.

The road did have a large stump complete with roots slide onto the road that you need to drive around.

Navigator

Post by Navigator » July 10th, 2008, 8:34 am

Thanks. I'm so glad to get back online and get this info before we go.
Will we need 4 wheel drive?

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 10th, 2008, 8:57 am

No, just drive carefully.

Navigator

Post by Navigator » July 10th, 2008, 11:58 am

Thanks. Will do.