Pacific Crest Trail 2017 Thru-Hike

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
OregonSurveyor

Re: Pacific Crest Trail 2017 Thru-Hike

Post by OregonSurveyor » February 24th, 2017, 3:40 pm

Hey Tim,
Pretty exciting and intimidating at the same time, huh?!
I'm starting April 19th and plan to go slow (13-15 miles/day) at first so I imagine we'll meet out there. Best of luck and good hiking!
Jerry King
SE PDX
[email protected]
on Facebook as Jerry King (Navigator)
Jerry King
Oregon Land Surveyor (Retired)
SAR Volunteer - CSAR (Clackamas County Sheriff)

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » February 26th, 2017, 8:09 pm

Remember to hike your own hike. Try not to overplan. Enjoy the freedom that life on the trail will give you. Be flexible.
PCT class of 2012

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » February 26th, 2017, 8:46 pm

scrambler2 wrote:Remember to hike your own hike. Try not to overplan. Enjoy the freedom that life on the trail will give you. Be flexible.
Thank you I really appreciate your thoughts.

I intend to hike the PCT like I play guitar. Spend years learning and practicing scales, modes and chord inversions. Then you get up on stage, forget it all, and just play music.

I am very seriously planning, and on my first step of the trail I will let the plan go and just see what happens. :)

Thank you.

hippiebutterfly

Post by hippiebutterfly » February 27th, 2017, 9:55 am

Good luck and I look forward to following your journey! Very jealous! I plan on section hiking just the Wa and Or parts of the PCT 50 miles at time. :)

And yes, take care of your feet!!

MaxColby

Post by MaxColby » February 28th, 2017, 2:03 pm

Good luck.
I had been planning to go this year as well, but finances had other things in mind, so 2018 for me.
however, I plan to set up camp somewhere along the trail this year to hook people up with food/drinks/etc so hopefully I see you out there.

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » February 28th, 2017, 5:16 pm

MAPS
What do 2,650 miles of maps look like?

PCT 2017 Thru-Hike
Video #2 of many I am sure
THANKS for all your kind words and thoughts.

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » March 6th, 2017, 7:18 pm

Here’s the third video, gear focused. Dehydrated food coming, should be fun. I leave in 45 days.

I leave in 45 days :shock: :shock: THANKS for all your kind words and thoughts.

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » March 8th, 2017, 11:08 am

PCT thru-hike video #4. GEEKY gear review of the Zpacks Cuben Fiber Duplex tent. It will be my home for 150 days. It's a minimal, but very comfortable tent. I leave in 43 days.

buckwheat

Post by buckwheat » March 8th, 2017, 11:10 pm

Cool to see you're so excited about hiking it. Its making me wanna do it. Well, everything makes me wanna do it. My job won't allow it this year, but I'm hoping to in 2-3 years once I get a little more wiggle room. For now, I'm contenting myself with 2-3-4 day hikes and the occasional week long trek.

What sort of pace are you hoping to set? I know you said roughly 5 months on the trail, but I was curious if you've got estimated mileages all planned out already, or if you're mostly going to be playing it by feel?

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » March 9th, 2017, 8:33 am

buckwheat wrote:What sort of pace are you hoping to set? I know you said roughly 5 months on the trail, but I was curious if you've got estimated mileages all planned out already, or if you're mostly going to be playing it by feel?
Thanks for asking, I am using these planners below. With the snow this year, who knows? I am researching flip-flop options right now to mitigate getting through the Sierras with the snow. So I will leave with an estimate but expect it will start changing by day two :)

This calculator from Post Holer provides a single page plan based on your "hiking style". It plots it out across 20 or so major trail towns and lets you fiddle with "zero" days.
http://www.postholer.com/planner/hikePlanner.php

If you want to get into real detailed planning Craig's planner is the place to go. It allows you create a pretty exhaustive plan including details on resupplies, account for nero or zero days, adjust miles and EG for any side trips or detours you may take, provide mileage and elevation profiles for each section. AND you can keep it up to date and share online, something your ground support team may appreciate! It's freaking cool. I'm surprised Karl didn't tell e about it :)
https://www.pctplanner.com/plan.php