Sophie Mozee Cabin and Virginia Lake 12-11-16

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Sophie Mozee Cabin and Virginia Lake 12-11-16

Post by bobcat » December 14th, 2016, 3:28 pm

On the Sunday of the Meet 'n Deet, we had only a few hours so we (my wife and I) stuck close to home and ended up doing the first two hikes in James Thayer's new Hiking from Portland to the Coast. I have from time to time enjoyed Thayer's Forest Hiker website so these seemed to fit the bill in terms of weather conditions and brevity.

1. Sophie Mozee Cabin

This hike takes you down a gated logging road off Rocky Point Road (Columbia County) on what is, I think, Longview Fiber land. The road has not been used by vehicles for a while and is now blocked by crowds of alders that toppled in the last storm. In fairly short order, you pass through a clearcut and come to the remains of an old homestead cabin in a tall stand of Douglas-fir. All that remains of the original cabin is the fireplace and chimney.
Negotiating the swamp, Sophie Mozee Cabin.jpg
Clearcut sculpture, Sophie Mozee Cabin.jpg
Walking across the clearcut, Sophie Mozee Cabin.jpg
Sophie Mozee was the homesteader here, but she abandoned the place, and it became a refuge for passers-by that hiked through the hills: it was on one of the established routes between the Columbia and Tualatin valleys. In the 1890s, the cabin was the site of a deadly gunfight with a notorious outlaw which also involved a mysterious stranger - the confrontation is detailed on Thayer's web site.
Posing at the chimney, Sophie Mozee Cabin.jpg
Later, Boy Scouts under Scout leader Bob 'Hock' Johnston held campouts here, and the place became known as Hock's Hilton. The Scouts constructed a two-person log outhouse which still stands although it is leaning a little precariously these days. At some point, the main structure burned down, however. The current 'ghost frame' has been erected recently.
Bob Johnston plaque, Sophie Mozee Cabin.jpg
Cabinet à deux, Sophie Mozee Cabin.jpg
The lean-to, Sophie Mozee Cabin.jpg
A note on Hiking from Portland to the Coast:

Thayer is the reigning expert on exploring the hills between Portland and the coast, mainly in Columbia, Washington, and Tillamook counties. To Thayer, a private logging road is a "trail", and he has cobbled together numerous routes through these heavily logged tracts that hikers rarely visit. The book contains some descriptions of conventional and well-trod routes, such as the Elk Mt.-Kings Mt. Loop and Saddle Mountain, but the timing of his publication is unfortunate on two counts:

1. Included is the washed-out route of the Port of Tillamook Bay Railroad through the Salmonberry Canyon. This route has now been shut down, No Trespassing signs have been posted, and citations are threatened for those who do trespass.

2. Weyerhaeuser has recently decided to institute a permit system for its forestlands which for decades had been available to recreational users for free. The 11-month permit costs $75, there are a limited number, and they can only be purchased on a couple of days in May. All, or almost all, of them will be snapped up by hunters. Since many of the hikes in book take routes through Weyerhaeuserland, it is unlikely hikers can take advantage of any of them soon. Thayer says he is working trying to get a separate permit system for hikers . . .

It's a splendid book in other respects, though, in particular for the research the author accomplished to present the local history and folklore of the area.

2. Virginia Lake

This seasonal pond is part of the only state park on Sauvie Island, the Wapato Access Greenway. In Thayer's book, he characterizes pre-European Sauvie Island as the most densely-populated piece of real estate north of Mexico City. We took a spin on the park loop trail and stopped at the viewing platform to observe the waterfowl. I identified Canada geese, shovelers, mallards, gadwalls, ring-necked ducks, wigeons, pintails, buffleheads, pied grebes, and great blue herons. At Hadley's Landing, there were several boats moored, and across the channel, on the Burlington side, we admired the remains of the Jean, a sternwheeler that plied the Willamette from the mid-1930s to the mid-50s. It languished as a potential attraction in Lewiston, Idaho, for a while and was then sold and then resold. The current plan is to chop it down to serve as a barge although the vessel still carries its upper stories. I discovered that the two paddle wheels currently languish at Keizer Rapids Park near Salem and may be put on display.
Map at trailhead, Wapato Greenway.jpg
Geese and ducks, Virginia Lake, Wapato Access Greenway.jpg
At the dock, Hadley's Landing, Wapato Access Greenway.jpg
The sternwheeler Jean, from Hadley's Landing, Wapato Access Greenway.jpg
Sternwheeler paddles, Keizer Rapids Park.jpg

BaileyBoy

Re: Sophie Mozee Cabin and Virginia Lake 12-11-16

Post by BaileyBoy » December 17th, 2016, 12:27 pm

Thanks Bobcat, this is an informative report and I appreciate your research and photos.

One quick question regarding the RR trail, is it off limits from Cochran west to the Salmonberry River or just from the washed out area west?

bobcat

Post by bobcat » December 17th, 2016, 1:37 pm

BaileyBoy wrote:is it off limits from Cochran west to the Salmonberry River or just from the washed out area west?
Apparently the whole thing. Here's a link to James Thayer's report: http://www.foresthiker.com/?p=3338

Here's the Salmonberry Trail's site: http://salmonberrytrail.org/

I'm told they've posted No Trespassing signs at the Cochran and Foss Road accesses although I haven't been there to see them in person.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » December 18th, 2016, 11:22 am

Great report and interesting history!

That's too bad about the new limited access to the logging roads. Do you think they changed their policy on that because of illegal activity or dumping or something?

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » December 18th, 2016, 12:05 pm

It's too widespread for that in my opinion. Weyerhaeuser just wants to squeeze the public for $$$ or more likely keep us out entirely while pretending to be fair.

https://www.wyrecreationnw.com/leases

bobcat

Post by bobcat » January 16th, 2017, 12:41 pm

There's no link in my original post, just a picture of the map sign at the trailhead. I don't know why your copy has an erroneous link.

Here's the Field Guide page, which also has a map: http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide ... _Loop_Hike