wintery Plan C: Lacamas Park

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

wintery Plan C: Lacamas Park

Post by Chip Down » December 13th, 2016, 8:55 pm

The storm last week was initially discouraging. Everything on my to-do list covered in snow/ice. But hey, I can handle a little extra challenge/adventure. In addition to the bare necessities, I packed two ice axes, crampons, and rope, and headed east. Went sunday instead of saturday, thinking the roads would be better. But damn, arrived at Troutdale to find I84 closed. They closed it saturday, which means I might have been able to sneak in saturday am before the closure. Damn.

Plan B was Oxbow Park. There were a bunch of downed limbs along the way, but I made it. My heart wasn't in it though. But then I thought of Lacamas Park, and off I went.

Arrived a bit after sunrise, maybe 8:00. There were a few little patches of snow left, but not enough to make it interesting. Many junctions are unsigned, and I think I saw at least one junction that was incorrectly marked. Just go have fun, don't try to make sense of it. Lots of people enjoying this soggy chilly day. Weather wasn't really awful though. No wind to speak of, some occasional sunbreaks. I don't even mind rain all that much, if it's not windy. But yeah, by the time I returned to my car at dusk, I was really tired of being damp. Why did it take me all day to explore a city park? Lots of social trails to explore, and even some stuff outside the park, just exploring the neighborhood. In fact, there's still a few things left to explore, so I might go back the next time I need a good rainy-day hike.
Attachments
b00.jpg
Can you spot the major gap in logic?
b01.jpg
Can you spot the major gap in logic?
b02.jpg
A bit out of the way, not along a main trail
b03.jpg
b04.jpg
b05.jpg
b06.jpg
GP = Georgia Pacific. The door that leads to the space under the hollow dam.
b07.jpg
At the base of the dam.
b08.jpg
No, finding this doesn't make me part of your community. Ick.

Chip Down

Re: wintery Plan C: Lacamas Park

Post by Chip Down » December 13th, 2016, 9:02 pm

xxxxxxxxx
Attachments
a02.jpg
a03.jpg
a04.jpg
A trip hazard in the middle of a trail.
a05.jpg
Part of the elaborate water-management system near the new school at the fringe of the park. Lots of new residential development too, mostly tacky agrestic mini-mcmansions, ugly dehumanizing boxes.
a06.jpg
I have no idea.
a07.jpg
If you want to walk down this steep slippery log and then hop across the creek, best to do it sober. I wasn't, so I didn't. (found another route)
a08.jpg
I often scoff at the elaborate bridges built over little creeks. But no, there's no crossing this torrent without a real bridge.
a09.jpg
A little extra challenge for the mbx crowd.

Chip Down

Re: wintery Plan C: Lacamas Park

Post by Chip Down » December 13th, 2016, 9:03 pm

Oh, almost forgot. Not my best beer portrait, but it was raining, and I wasn't going to mess with it. Mixes surprisingly well with eggnog.
Attachments
b09.jpg