Benson Plateau update

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Benson Plateau update

Post by drm » June 18th, 2009, 9:30 am

Was up there recently - my first visit to the plateau. Much melting progress. My full report is at http://www.deanmyerson.org/benson_plateau_1

I went up from Herman Crk, via the bridge and then the PCT. Camped at the PCT/Benson Way junction and did dayhikes up Benson Way trail to Ruckle Ck (no snow) and up the PCT and right to Benson Camp (patches still). There were many flies up there, but not biting, just a nuisance, flying into my ears and behind my glasses. They went away in the evening and weren't there in the morning.

More details at the report above.

As to Teakettle Spring - its just a trickle now. Does anybody know if this is year-round reliable?
bp 61709 02.JPG
Teakettle Spring
bp 61709 04.JPG
Ruckle Creek at the Ruckle Creek / Benson Way trail junction
bp 61709 06.JPG
near camp
bp 61709 09.JPG
Typical PCT on the plateau
bp 61709 12.JPG
Benson Camp
bp 61709 15.JPG
Cutie near Herman Ck bridge

joerunner

Re: Benson Plateau update

Post by joerunner » June 18th, 2009, 2:29 pm

Thanks. Any idea what the conditions are further South on the pct towards Whatum lake and around to the Hermann creek trail?

drm

Post by drm » June 19th, 2009, 7:01 am

Joerunner - There was a group camped at Ruckle Creek that had come down the PCT from Wahtum Lake. They said that there was a fair amount of snow and they needed GPS to find the way.

As to Herman Creek, I was up that was a few weeks ago. It's mostly clear. You would probably run into snow only in the last section near the rim above Wahtum Lake.

MarkInTheDark

Post by MarkInTheDark » June 19th, 2009, 7:18 am

Fantastic photos! Thank you for the Benson Plateau update!

Thomas M

Post by Thomas M » June 19th, 2009, 7:32 am

Tea Kettle has had water in it within the last couple of years. Although it slows to just barely a trickle, it always has a small pool of clear water available for use. Unless the year is an especially dry one, I think you can get water there....that is until it's covered in snow again.
Has anyone else seen it totally dried out recently????

texasbb

Post by texasbb » June 19th, 2009, 8:31 pm

drm wrote:As to Teakettle Spring - its just a trickle now. Does anybody know if this is year-round reliable?
I was there August 4 last year and it looked almost exactly like your picture. Seehttp://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... ttle#p3369

--Todd

jimsiff

Post by jimsiff » June 22nd, 2009, 2:19 am

As of Friday/Saturday, the Benson was basically clear except for a few small patches covering Ruckel Creek Tr. and the PCT was clear. Herman Creek was clear to the Anthill, but covered in 1'+ from there to at least the intersection with Tomlike. With a bit of wandering you could find your way, but wait a week or two and the snow should be gone. The rest of the Wahtum area appeared clear of snow from what I could tell. Eagle Creek Trail is snow free and at least eye-level (for a 6'3" person) cleared of brush to just above Inspiration Point, where my clippers broke. From there the brush is a bit cozy in spots until 7.5 Mile camp.
-Jim