Olallie Lake 9/13&14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Olallie Lake 9/13&14

Post by pdxgene » September 14th, 2016, 4:19 pm

Just amazing fall colors in the Olallie Lake area right now. Temp got down to 28 last night, 31 at 730 this morning. The sun was shining on the water first so I took my kayak out there early and the 35 felt like at least 50.. :)
The huckleberry are just an intense bright red when you look right into the sun..
Tons of pics here...
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/101 ... 2rLUr816B9

I had a couple guys join me back to Estacada that needed a ride and it was pretty amazing cramming three people in my little Honda with all their stuff and the carload of $@#! I brought along with me. And it's so old there's no passenger side mirror so I can't pile stuff high in the back. I felt so sorry for them but I did warn them :lol: And I'd imagine it beat walking..Some other guy had asked for a ride up to Breitenbush. Yeah, right... good luck finding someone going that way. Seriously, unless you have a tank don't go much past Monon Lake and especially past Horseshoe Lake. The thing you are driving on is hard to even walk on...

They even have a sailboat for rent at the resort now. Now I have to learn how to use one. That would be fun...

Oh yeah, even though the cabins were full, people were in the campgrounds and PCT type folks were passing on thru in 8 hours on the actual trails over both days I saw a grand total of three other hikers each day. Not much different out on the water either. Yay!

miah66

Re: Olallie Lake 9/13&14

Post by miah66 » September 15th, 2016, 9:06 am

Thinking about a day trip up there this weekend, Gene. I've never been. I have a Honda Civic. What do you recommend for a dayhike that my car can get me there?
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Chazz

Post by Chazz » September 15th, 2016, 9:55 am

I was there about a week ago and the road is generally in good condition from FR46 to the resort on 4690. There are a couple spots where you have to slow down even more than normal due to washboard or larger bumps but a sedan can definitely make the trip.

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » September 15th, 2016, 10:32 am

miah66 wrote:Thinking about a day trip up there this weekend, Gene. I've never been. I have a Honda Civic. What do you recommend for a dayhike that my car can get me there?
Park at the PCT Trailhead at Olallie Lake and do the Olallie-Ruddy Loop in my Mount Jefferson Book. Hike the PCT past Cigar Lake and Upper Lake to the Ruddy Hill Junction; turn right and hike the steep but short spur up to the summit of Ruddy Hill for the view (although you might not have one this weekend); then drop back to the PCT, turn right and continue south like 500 feet to a junction with the Horseshoe Saddle Trail. Turn left and hike downhill to Horseshoe Lake. Then turn left and walk down the Skyline Road 1.1 miles to Monon Lake's south shore, where you'll find the Monon Lake Trail. Turn right and hike around Monon Lake all the way to the north shore, then turn right on the connector over to Olallie Lake. Once you reach Olallie Lake, turn right and hike around the east shore of the lake until you reach Paul Dennis Campground. Hike through the CG to the resort, then back across the road to the PCT Trailhead. It's 10.3 miles and 1,300 feet of elevation gain overall, and you get to pass some of the nicest scenery in the basin.

Here's a map:

Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

miah66

Post by miah66 » September 15th, 2016, 10:35 am

Hey, that's a great recommendation, Matt! Thanks!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » September 15th, 2016, 1:06 pm

My Civic makes it up there fine. I had to pass someone crawling along in their Subaru coming out yesterday... sheesh.... :lol: (but Matt will tell you riding with me is an adventure on those roads... :twisted: ..)It's a little rough by the cattle grate and by Triangle Lake CG. Definitely slow down approaching those.
And I wouldn't go past Peninsula Campground, definitely Monon Lake. The road on up to Horseshoe Lake and beyond is horrible. The 3mph you can walk is not a whole lot slower and probably cheaper in the long run than trying to drive any further.
The best fall colors will be in the more open burn areas of which there's lots..

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » September 15th, 2016, 6:33 pm

pdxgene wrote:Some other guy had asked for a ride up to Breitenbush. Yeah, right... good luck finding someone going that way. Seriously, unless you have a tank don't go much past Monon Lake and especially past Horseshoe Lake. The thing you are driving on is hard to even walk on...
I drove all of that this summer it's not that bad, IMHO. I have seen Subarus at the end of similar roads, for what it's worth, though that says more about the Subarus and their drivers' skill than the road being passable. But any pickup or old-school SUV should be able to take that road.

I actually found that section of road less uncomfortable than this one, though the latter is far more doable in a passenger car.

UTurn

Post by UTurn » September 16th, 2016, 8:09 am

How were the mosquitos? Gorgeous photos, Gene!

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » September 16th, 2016, 3:50 pm

UTurn wrote:How were the mosquitos? Gorgeous photos, Gene!
Thanx... :) Mosquitoes are done. The first day was super windy but a totally calm sunrise Wednesday and no problems. Lots of yellow jackets but at least for the two days I was there they were not aggressive at all. And I was tromping around offtrail a fair amount..