McNeil - Yocum traverse, Mt Hood 2016 version

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
CraigG

McNeil - Yocum traverse, Mt Hood 2016 version

Post by CraigG » July 31st, 2016, 5:41 pm

Greetings -

Rigby the Hiking Dog and I took a group of strong hikers from Top Spur TH on Mt Hood up to McNeil Pt, past the ice caves and continued offtrail south to reach Yocum Ridge.
From Yocum Ridge, we located the ridge trail and followed Yocum Ridge down the Timberline Trail junction across the Muddy Fork crossings, and back up to Top Spur TH for a 16.9 mile loop with almost 5000 ft ascent.

NOTE: The traverse between McNeil and Yocum requires navigation and is a rather long 3.1 mile traverse. There are many dropoffs and some steep sections, even though Yocum Ridge is always within view. It is easy to cliff-out or dead-end within a steep section.

We started the morning by going past Bald Mtn, our objective ahead:

We followed the ridge trail then the climber's route up to McNeil Pt:

..and took a break at McNeil Pt:

Then headed offtrail in the direction of the ice caves:

Approaching the caves - we did NOT go near the entrance nor go in the caves - too dangerous.

Our first crossing of the outflows from the glacier.

View close, but not too close to the ice caves:

From here, we headed down and climber's left of the ice caves:

I was worried about the last crossing of the cave drainages, but we lucked out as Gene found an easy place to cross, near the base of a multi-tiered waterfall:

A brief lunch here:

Then it was a steady ascent offtrail to meet Yocum Ridge:

The views were great:

More ascent but flattening out:

We rested at a small meadow before reaching Yocum Ridge:

We scrambled up to the user path at the top of Yocum Ridge, headed down Yocum Ridge trail to the Timberline Trail junction and headed across the two Muddy Fork crossings before sunset:

Then back to Bald Mtn, down the trail to Top Spur trailhead by 925pm. A wonderful adventure day with a strong hiking group!

Approx mileage: 17 miles
Approx ascent : 4900 ft

GPS track: http://gpsfly.org/a/6272

CraigG and Rigby the Hiking Dog

Peder

Re: McNeil - Yocum traverse, Mt Hood 2016 version

Post by Peder » August 1st, 2016, 1:35 am

I was worried about the last crossing of the cave drainages
Yes, it is a great loop but one cannot bet on completing it every time! So there will always be some uncertainty till all the streams have been crossed. That Muddy Fork crossing does look like a challenge - I am glad to see that Rigby is calm and composed in the photo!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

CraigG

Post by CraigG » August 1st, 2016, 7:06 am

Peder wrote:
I was worried about the last crossing of the cave drainages
Yes, it is a great loop but one cannot bet on completing it every time! So there will always be some uncertainty till all the streams have been crossed. That Muddy Fork crossing does look like a challenge - I am glad to see that Rigby is calm and composed in the photo!
Agreed - if the water level was a little higher for any of the ice cave drainages/crossings (due to rainfall, higher temps, later in the day, etc etc), then it may not have been possible to proceed.

-CraigG

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 1st, 2016, 2:29 pm

nice report, this has been on my list for years

doesn't look that steep or dangerous

But, did you sleuth out the "47"? (You can see a "47" from the McNeil Ridge but I'm sure if you were there it would be unimpressive)

CraigG

Post by CraigG » August 1st, 2016, 9:31 pm

retired jerry wrote:nice report, this has been on my list for years

doesn't look that steep or dangerous

But, did you sleuth out the "47"? (You can see a "47" from the McNeil Ridge but I'm sure if you were there it would be unimpressive)
Not too steep - just two moderately steep, loose sections. I didn't see the "47" but I was looking for it. It's a great time to go for this - the flowers are coming out within the offtrail meadows.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 2nd, 2016, 5:59 am

I think you could walk over the "47" without realizing it. It only looks like "47" from one angle.

I started down that slope from McNeil Ridge once, and from the other side I was up on that higher area looking down at the caves, so I've done about half of it. Maybe this year...

CraigG

Post by CraigG » August 2nd, 2016, 6:58 am

retired jerry wrote:I think you could walk over the "47" without realizing it. It only looks like "47" from one angle.

I started down that slope from McNeil Ridge once, and from the other side I was up on that higher area looking down at the caves, so I've done about half of it. Maybe this year...
The route I took for the traverse never got higher than the ice caves. In fact, we headed west from the ice caves for about 750ft then down climber's left. This does not seem intuitive because you seem to be heading towards the massive dropoff, but gets you in a spot to cross the last drainage safely.

CraigG

mjirving

Post by mjirving » August 2nd, 2016, 12:04 pm

Very cool route...I'm envious. Thanks for the report and track.

Mike (aka GoalTech)

ssinfo503

Post by ssinfo503 » August 2nd, 2016, 8:18 pm

Great TR. Anyone knows the coordinate of the ice cave?

CraigG

Post by CraigG » August 3rd, 2016, 6:54 am

ssinfo503 wrote:Great TR. Anyone knows the coordinate of the ice cave?
The Sandy ice cave coordinates have been mentioned in some other TRs. The GPS track mentioned at the bottom of this TR will get you to the caves from McNeil Pt since we went right past them. The caves are also easily viewable from McNeil Pt and Bald Mtn. Hope this is helpful.

CraigG