Muddy Fork Loop 06-25-16

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Muddy Fork Loop 06-25-16

Post by bobcat » June 28th, 2016, 5:03 pm

I've always found this a most rewarding loop: almost 14 miles, usually snow-free by the end of June, and taking in some of the best features of the west side of the mountain.

The route goes: Ramona Falls Trailhead - Sandy River Trail - Pacific Crest Trail - Timberline Trail back to Ramona Falls and then return to the trailhead. I took two diversions: the short user trail up to the Bald Mountain viewpoint and a quick check on the status of the Upper Sandy Guard Station.
Mt. Hood from the Sandy River crossing, Sandy River Trail.jpg
Rhododendrons, Pacific Crest Trail.jpg
Mt. Hood from the Timberline Trail.jpg
Waterfall, Bald Mountain Ridge, Timberline Trail.jpg
The Citadel from the Muddy Fork, Timberline Trail.jpg
Ramona Falls, Timberline Trail.jpg
There are three river crossings to fret about:

1. Sandy River: at least three logs you can traipse across - choose depending upon your head for heights; I also saw people taking their shoes off to ford.
Lower log crossing, Sandy River Trail.jpg
Sandy River crossing, upper options, Sandy River Trail (1).jpg
2. Muddy Fork crossing on the PCT: the same big trees fallen over the creek and the rope handhold on the upper tree.
Lower Muddy Fork crossing, Pacific Crest Trail (1).jpg
3. Muddy Fork crossing on the Timberline Trail: the north branch is an easy rock hop now; the south branch has carved itself a new channel through the cottonwoods and alders and necessitates a new detour, which trail crews have flagged. The three tall waterfalls pouring down from the Yocum crags are still in spate, as is the two-tiered fall on the north branch to the left of the Citadel.
The Citadel and first Muddy Fork crossing, Timberline Trail (1).jpg
Three waterfalls, Muddy Fork, Timberline Trail.jpg

The various slides on the Timberline Trail while traversing Bald Mountain Ridge and Yocum Ridge all seem more solid and with a better trail tread than when I hiked this section last.

The diversions:

It's just 0.3 miles off the Timberline Trail up to the site of the Bald Mountain lookout for one of the most splendid views of Mount Hood. The steep meadows are in full flower and the Timberline Trail snakes along below.
Mt. Hood from Bald Mountain.jpg
I ambled down the PCT/Timberline Trail and cut up to the bench that hides the Upper Sandy Guard Station. This is a unique structure, built in 1935, in that it is part log, part stone and was partially financed by the City of Portland to watch over the city's water sources (Think a much-expanded Bull Run in those times). A part of the roof has collapsed, there's a hantavirus sign on the locked door, and a ladder at the only open window round back. Sometime soon, let's hope a crew of generous carpenters can slap on a new roof and refurbish the place.
At the Upper Sandy Guard Station, Timberline Trail.jpg
Hantavirus sign, Upper Sandy Guard Station, Timberline Trail.jpg
Wildflowers:

This is a great wildflower hike with all the microhabitats. While hiking along, I compiled a list of almost 100 species in bloom, not a single one an invasive:

Cascade penstemon, white-flowered hawkweed, ox-eye daisy, turtle head, large pyrola, twin flower, Mertens’ coral root, western rhododendron, foam flower, bunchberry, inside-out flower, little wild rose, spotted coral root, Columbia wind flower, leafless pyrola, broad-leaf star flower, Mertens’ sedge, little buttercup, candy stick, bead lily, dwarf bramble, bear-grass, white rhododendron, avalanche lily, thimbleberry, candy flower, Scouler’s heliotrope, red columbine, yellow western groundsel, heart-leaf buckwheat, fine-toothed penstemon, rough wallflower, little-leaf montia, harsh paintbrush, Cascade mariposa lily, woolly sunflower, yarrow, spurred lupine, blue field gilia, fringe-cup, western buttercup, cow parsnip, woods violet, sulfur buckwheat, common paintbrush, Martindale’s desert parsley, sticky cinquefoil, Nootka rose, upland larkspur, feathery Solomon plume, bleeding heart, starry Solomon plume, northern microseris, tall buckwheat, varied-leaf phacelia, leafy pea, Douglas’ wormwood, Cascade rock cress, woods strawberry, sidebells pyrola, short-spurred bog orchid, goat’s beard, youth-on-age, common monkey flower, baneberry, pipsissewa, Pacific waterleaf, large-leaf montia, Cardwell’s penstemon, little pipsissewa, white-vein pyrola, ocean spray, varied-leaf collomia, western meadow rue, prickly currant, salmonberry, red elderberry, western trillium, false lily-of-the-valley, broad-leaf lupine, rusty saxifrage, leafy-stem mitrewort, vanilla leaf, brook saxifrage, five-leaf bramble, tall mountain shooting star, subalpine daisy, marsh-marigold, devil’s club, wild ginger, western twayblade, salal, pinesap, trailing blackberry, pine drops, Cascade aster
Large pyrola (Pyrola asarifolia), Sandy River Trail.jpg
Mertens' sedge (Carex mertensii), Pacific Crest Trail.jpg
Sulfur buckwheat (Eriogonum umbellatum), Bald Mountain, Timberline Trail.jpg
Upland larkspur (Delphinium nuttallianum), Bald Mountain, Timberline Trail.jpg
Cascade mariposa lily (Calochortus subalpinus) and blister beetle, Bald Mountain, Timberline Trail.jpg
Harsh paintbrush (Castilleja hispida), Bald Mountain, Timberline Trail.jpg
Bluefield gilia (Gilia capitata), Bald Mountain, Timberline Trail.jpg
Short-spurred bog orchid (Piperia unalascensis), Timberline Trail.jpg
Youth-on-age (Tolmeia menziesii), Bald Mountain Ridge, Timberline Trail.jpg
Cascade penstemon (Penstemon serrulatus), Muddy Fork, Timberline Trail.jpg
Tall mountain shooting star (Dodecatheon jeffreyi), Timberline Trail.jpg

Chip Down

Re: Muddy Fork Loop 06-25-16

Post by Chip Down » June 28th, 2016, 7:13 pm

I haven't been to the muddy fork crossing in, what, fifteen years? I know it's totally different now, and I want to go see it. Sadly, I get one weekend each week, and something else always wins out.

I've heard there's now a sandy/pct bridge. I mean a real bridge, not just a downed tree or planks across boulders. Did you get over that way? Know anything about it?

bobcat

Post by bobcat » June 29th, 2016, 6:50 pm

Chip Down wrote:I haven't been to the muddy fork crossing in, what, fifteen years? I know it's totally different now, and I want to go see it.
If you were there last before 2002, then you missed the great deluge which took out much of the forest on the river's north shore and deposited it like matchsticks dumped out of their box.
Chip Down wrote:I've heard there's now a sandy/pct bridge.
Misinformation. There may have been temporary bridges there in the distant past, but the USFS seems to have decided, since someone was actually killed on a temporary bridge (at the lower Sandy crossing) in 2014, that there will be no more official spans on glacial streams around Mt. Hood (unless, perhaps, volunteer groups want to put them in and take them out every year - not sure about the liability issues there).

greglief

Post by greglief » June 30th, 2016, 10:51 am

Thank you very much for this report, especially the wildflower section!
Greg Lief
OregonWildflowers.org - locations, trip reports, user forum, et cetera
Greg's Back

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 30th, 2016, 6:32 pm

bobcat wrote:If you were there last before 2002, then you missed the great deluge which took out much of the forest on the river's north shore and deposited it like matchsticks dumped out of their box.
My sole MF visit was 7/6/99. Followed the creek up into the canyon and to the glaciers. Fun trip, except for the lower section that was super brushy. In those days, I saw trail hiking as a PITA to get me where I was going. I foolishly had no interest in slides and floods and such (except for those amazing slides on Adams back around '97 or '98...anybody remember that?)
bobcat wrote:Misinformation.
Like the "weather station", I suspected as much. I really want to go build a bridge just to show the USFS how it's done. :lol: (seriously would if I was retired or rich)

walkin62

Post by walkin62 » July 1st, 2016, 9:51 am

There may have been temporary bridges there in the distant past, but the USFS seems to have decided, since someone was actually killed on a temporary bridge (at the lower Sandy crossing) in 2014, that there will be no more official spans on glacial streams around Mt. Hood (unless, perhaps, volunteer groups want to put them in and take them out every year - not sure about the liability issues there).
A lot of the glacial stream crossings around Hood, including the lower Sandy, are in Wilderness. This means that that no structures can be built over them per Wilderness rules.
I believe because of that (and the liability involved), that if some group actually builds some sort of temporary structure and puts it in, then the Forest Service (I'm guessing anyway) would probably have to go out and remove it.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » July 2nd, 2016, 9:41 am

walkin62 wrote:A lot of the glacial stream crossings around Hood, including the lower Sandy, are in Wilderness. This means that that no structures can be built over them per Wilderness rules.
The fact that it is in wilderness is not the reason they decided to forego putting in a temporary structure this time. There are hundreds of bridges in wilderness areas all around the country and the FS was putting in and taking out the temporary structure after that area was added to wilderness in 2009.

There are probably two reasons for the caution about adding another bridge: (1) One too many deaths at that crossing. Hikers are now being told it's no longer a stroll in the park, family-type hike but a real wilderness experience requiring the necessary experience and skills - hike at your own risk, in other words, without a 'facility' to aid the less aware; (2) Too many washouts, which gets expensive. The Sandy regularly destroys its banks and topples trees which provide convenient crossings; it's also an easy ford come summer time except after heavy rains or melt outs (There are three glacial stream warnings posted on the trail).

The FS certainly wouldn't tolerate a volunteer group putting in a bridge without their permission. They may, at some point in the future, be willing to entertain a formal agreement, with parameters, for someone else to come and and assume the expense/work involved. Again, liability is the big question - it's no laughing matter when someone dies: even during a freak natural event, if it's on a man-made structure, fingers start pointing.

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » July 2nd, 2016, 5:40 pm

Very cool loop Bobcat! My brother and I were up on Bald Mountain a few weeks ago and saw several large waterfalls off in the distance. We were wondering if there was a trail to get close and it looks like there is. Great details as always. I probably won't ever remember the names of the flowers but I enjoy reading them :lol: Thanks for the report!
Dan