Salmon Butte 2016-06-25: alive with rhodies!

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
klossner

Salmon Butte 2016-06-25: alive with rhodies!

Post by klossner » June 27th, 2016, 7:50 pm

I hiked up Salmon Butte on the strength of the Field Guide description which says "the optimal time to visit is on a clear day in June, when the rhododendrons, bear-grass, and other wildflowers are in full bloom". After hiking a couple of miles of old road awash with foxglove, I entered the forest and was disappointed to see rhodies that had long since finished flowering. Until I got up to 3300 feet ...
Rhodies along the trail.jpg
Rhodies from below.jpg
Rhodies.jpg
Mature rhodies.jpg
Rhody and Mt Hood.jpg
I was in rhodie heaven. The hike took a couple of hours longer because I could. Not. Stop. Photographing the rhodies.

There were other delights as well:
Candy.jpg
Beargrass.jpg
Foxglove.jpg
Even the devils club showed color:
Devils club.jpg
From the summit, I could see seven snow-covered volcanoes.
Summit.jpg
The trail is in fine shape and quite popular on a sunny weekend day. I was amused to be passed by two millenials telling each other about a great web site called Oregon Hikers.

greenjello85

Re: Salmon Butte 2016-06-25: alive with rhodies!

Post by greenjello85 » June 27th, 2016, 9:31 pm

Thanks for the report. It looks like anyone wanting to see the rhodies better hurry! Was there anything else blooming on the road bed? It seems like it would have a good nice flower variety but all I saw last summer was some dead foxglove. I like that bear grass shot.
Dan

kepPNW

Re: Salmon Butte 2016-06-25: alive with rhodies!

Post by kepPNW » June 28th, 2016, 9:57 am

Nice! I was up there the same day, and was definitely loving the rhodies. Not to mention the eight-volcano view! Only other time there, it was shrouded and a "wintry mix" was in the air. Wonder if we crossed tracks? (Recognize the mutt below?)

I'll just tag on to your report, with (some of) the photos I took, since they were so close in time. Here's the auto-generated trip report from WentHiking...
  • ============================================================================
    12.5 miles, 3250' gained

Got a really late start, and didn't hit the trailhead until nearly 1pm. Which turned out perfect, as the clouds were just moving away from Hood's summit as I turned off 26 in Zigzag. Winding up Salmon River Rd, the pavement was steaming, and it seemed like a huge downpour had just passed through. Pretty well validates that sleeping in can actually be compatible with hiking!

Love this hike, for the incredible serenity as you gradually climb up through the forest. The first/last stretch along the reclamation-in-process roadbed is neither irritating or inviting, but it passes pretty quickly. Otherwise, the entire trip is just a delight. Easy to keep up a 3.0-3.5mph moving average, keeping the heartrate in the vigorous zone the entire way.

Saw some cool forest plants, the rhodies are just passing their peak but still pretty vigorous over 3400', and just enough beargrass up top to make the summit shots interesting. First time I'd been there with a view. (Previously, it was socked in, and a "wintry mix" was blowing in the wind.) Eight stratovolcanoes visible, ranging from Rainier to the Three Sisters.

Had a little lunch, then blew back down. For as crowded as the trailhead was (maybe 50 cars?), the trail itself offered remarkable solitude. Must've been that many were just camping along the river. All in all, another incredibly great day in the woods!
    ============================================================================
The End
Karl
Back on the trail, again...