Interesting Cairn!

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
retired jerry

Re: Interesting Cairn!

Post by retired jerry » May 9th, 2017, 6:19 pm

It's not possible that humans could have done that, must be aliens :)

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 9th, 2017, 7:32 pm

retired jerry wrote:It's not possible that humans could have done that, must be aliens :)
Absolutely! My thoughts exactly.

So, how about this one. Spotted last Sept. from near the summit of Black Butte, the conical cinder and lava cone just south of Weed along I-5 in north CA. I didn't think to take a photo until I was starting down so this does not show it in it's entirety. It is huge and very symmetrical. I've uploaded this pic in full resolution, so, if you blow it up, you can see the many cairns and other rock piles along the axis lines and especially the periphery:

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

pcg

Post by pcg » May 9th, 2017, 8:53 pm

Good on you for climbing that thing. Every time I drive by I say to myself, "Next time I drive by I'm gonna stop and climb that hill!".
As for the strange trails and cairns, I'm sure that's somehow connected to the shifted universe and those that inhabit it in Shasta City.
What would really be strange would be if one of those colored trucks was parked at the end of each wheel spoke, a different color at each terminus...

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » May 9th, 2017, 9:17 pm

pcg wrote:Good on you for climbing that thing. Every time I drive by I say to myself, "Next time I drive by I'm gonna stop and climb that hill!"
I think the same thing. I bet that's the best view of Shasta you can get. I thought Mt. Eddy would be, but I was wrong; it's too far away horizontally.

Here's the Black Butte Cosmic Wheel or whatever, from Google Maps:

(Tick tock, it's a clock!)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 10th, 2017, 5:13 am

I've always meant to summit that. It looks like there's a road to the top with a trailhead parking area at the bottom. You can see it from miles away, and it gets closer and closer to I-5 as you approach.

pcg

Post by pcg » May 10th, 2017, 6:30 am

I started to read some of this then gave up...
https://books.google.com/books?id=M31Yr ... nd&f=false

Chazz

Post by Chazz » May 10th, 2017, 6:51 am

Is that thing related to the alien base somewhere in Mt Shasta?

http://mtshastaspirit.org/general/myste ... nt-shasta/

:D :roll: :lol:

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 10th, 2017, 10:01 pm

pcg wrote:Good on you for climbing that thing. Every time I drive by I say to myself, "Next time I drive by I'm gonna stop and climb that hill!".
As for the strange trails and cairns, I'm sure that's somehow connected to the shifted universe and those that inhabit it in Shasta City.
What would really be strange would be if one of those colored trucks was parked at the end of each wheel spoke, a different color at each terminus...
Thanks for the comment! Those multi colored trucks are really something.

dn

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 10th, 2017, 10:04 pm

retired jerry wrote:I've always meant to summit that. It looks like there's a road to the top with a trailhead parking area at the bottom. You can see it from miles away, and it gets closer and closer to I-5 as you approach.
No road but a very good trail likely made to facilitate access to the lookout that once graced the summit. I tried to find a route several times over the years but it wasn't until the advent of google earth that I found a way.

dn

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 10th, 2017, 10:08 pm

Oh oh, thread drift....

Here are the photos I took on my climb and a couple of maps showing the details at the end. Just double click the first photo and you can scroll through the rest. This was one of the best view hikes I've ever done and one of the best bangs for the buck. I will do this again first chance I get.

http://www.fototime.com/users/donnelsen ... ,%20092616

dn