Cascadia Caves 6-16-08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Jewelle

Cascadia Caves 6-16-08

Post by Jewelle » June 17th, 2008, 1:32 pm

With the gorgeous day we had yesterday, I headed out toward the Cascades to Cascadia Park, about 40 miles east of I-5, out highway 20.

There are 2 trails in this park, one leads up to Lower Soda Falls, and the other leads to the Cascadia Caves, where ancient Indian petroglyphs are imbedded in the walls, dated back some 8,000 years or so. To find the caves, park in the parking lot, and look east, where you’ll see a sign stating:

Follow this paved trail through a small patio like area beside Soda Creek, and up and through the campground toward the group camping area, eastbound. You’ll see a wide semi dirt/gravel trail leading into the forest. There was a lot of spur trails leading both down to the Santiam River, and back around to the campground. Stay straight on all this trail for about a mile. At about ¾ on mile, there will be a spur trail to the left, leading to a small cave. Not impressive at all, and there was nothing to really see here. Head back eastbound another 1/4 of a mile and again to the left will be another spur trail. This leads to the actual cave. Some pics of the carvings:

Image.

No one is supposed to visit this cave. It is protected by the feds, and it is on privately owned land. I wasn’t bothered by anyone, nor did I see anyone. I respected the fact that I was on private property, and I did nothing to the caves but take pictures, without a flash, just in case. But there is evidence that a million people have been back there to see these caves. So, tread lightly please, so the rest of the world can see.

Next hike in this park led up to Lower Soda Falls, an awesome waterfall hidden back about ¾ of a mile from the campground. Hike toward the east picnic area from the parking lot and you’ll see a bench and sign stating:

This trail was well maintained and there was some uphill to it, but not too bad. Along the way, there was some great places to take water pics. I just got a new camera, so of course I had to stop and try it out.

At the top, there looks as though there was a landslide or rock fall so some scrambling was in order. I didn’t have a tripod with me so I had to get a basic pic of the waterfall, and I couldn’t get far enough away from it to fit it all in the pic.

This was a great place for 2 hikes in a short time. If you ever drive through this area, I highly recommend it. -Jen

Billc

Re: Cascadia Caves 6-16-08

Post by Billc » June 17th, 2008, 8:31 pm

Thanks for the report, I was there as a child and all that I remember is bad water. I will have to go back and see all of the rest.
Bill

CherokeeDriver

Post by CherokeeDriver » June 17th, 2008, 8:38 pm

Great trip report, Jen -- I'm jealous of your new camera!

It's understandable that a Native American site like this would be protected, so it's good that the route is a bit vague. However, I don't know if there are any native remnants as remarkable as this in the Gorge (once again, I'm a bit jealous).

-Robert :)

Cattrapper

Post by Cattrapper » June 18th, 2008, 1:50 am

Jewelle wrote:No one is supposed to visit this cave. It is protected by the feds, and it is on privately owned land. I wasn’t bothered by anyone, nor did I see anyone. I respected the fact that I was on private property
Not trying to start anything, but am I the only one bothered by this post? How can you say you "respected the fact that it's on private property". You trespassed, plain and simple. And worse yet, now you're encouraging others to do the same!
"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live." Tom McCall

Jewelle

Post by Jewelle » June 18th, 2008, 2:15 pm

Cattrapper wrote:
Jewelle wrote:No one is supposed to visit this cave. It is protected by the feds, and it is on privately owned land. I wasn’t bothered by anyone, nor did I see anyone. I respected the fact that I was on private property
Not trying to start anything, but am I the only one bothered by this post? How can you say you "respected the fact that it's on private property". You trespassed, plain and simple. And worse yet, now you're encouraging others to do the same!

I was informed by the camp host as to where these caves were. The trail here is used daily by campers in the park, and is well maintained. Also, there is a map in the kiosk stating their location. I should of included this info in my report, so no one would be offended by my presence there. ;)

Cattrapper

Post by Cattrapper » June 19th, 2008, 2:51 am

If in fact the site is legally open to the public, then I apologize. I'm just going by the info you posted and the fact that I could find nothing on the internet, including the Cascadia State Park brochure, to indicate that this is the case.
"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live." Tom McCall

greg

Post by greg » June 19th, 2008, 9:01 am

CherokeeDriver wrote:Great trip report, Jen -- I'm jealous of your new camera!

It's understandable that a Native American site like this would be protected, so it's good that the route is a bit vague. However, I don't know if there are any native remnants as remarkable as this in the Gorge (once again, I'm a bit jealous).

-Robert :)

Sure there are.

Nice report, looks like a cool place!

jaimito

Post by jaimito » June 19th, 2008, 9:57 am

Greg where is that piece in the Gorge?

Jamie

greg

Post by greg » June 19th, 2008, 10:01 am

That is the famous Tsgaglalal or "She Who Watches" and its at Columbia Hills State Park in Washington, across the river from The Dalles. You can only see it, and associated glyphs, on guided tours by park staff and volunteers, every Friday and Saturday.