Tumala Mtn. 5/28

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
gratefultrails

Tumala Mtn. 5/28

Post by gratefultrails » May 28th, 2016, 9:31 pm

Went with some friends out to Tumala Mtn. this afternoon for a quick trot. Not as crazy as I expected for Memorial Day weekend. There was quite a bit of gun noise (including semi-automatic fire from down in the Tumala Lakes basin beneath us) when we were out on the summit, but mostly it was just great views, good vibes, and nice mountain silence.

When we arrived around 2:30, someone was gearing up for a huge party above the logging landing at the Upper Fanton Trailhead. Wood for a massive bonfire, water jugs that looked enough for 20+ people, and a bunch of other misc. gear were strewn about. So we bypassed the first viewpoint of the hike.

We hit Fanton Creek, and I'd never seen a skunk cabbage blooming from within a running creek:

Rhodies are blooming along the road, but not in the forest along the trail. But trillium, carpets of oxalis, marsh marigolds, vanilla leaf, violets, bunchberry, anemone, and avalanche lilies were along the trail:

One hiking group was heading down and one jeep was also heading down from the summit when we arrived. We spent our whole hour on the summit in solitude. You could see Jefferson in it's entirety, but the rest of the volcanos were partially obscured by clouds/other mountains. St Helens, Adams, Hood, Ollalie, Washington, and 2 Sisters are also visible.

Dana and the Roaring River/Salmon Huckleberry divide:

Lewis and I (you can tell who has the nice camera, not me):

Paintbrush, Phlox, a couple Penstemon species, and Western Wallflower were blooming around the summit rock gardens. All the Salmon-Huckleberry rock gardens will probably look very happy over the next couple weeks.

Too bad this place is not designated Wilderness. The Clack district is always in need of TLC it seems, though I really enjoyed myself on this hike despite some signs of human disrespect. Hope more hiker people will visit.

bobcat

Re: Tumala Mtn. 5/28

Post by bobcat » June 3rd, 2016, 7:33 am

Great hike and great pictures - despite the inauspicious start. Believe it or not that area is better than it was for off-trail invasions, but I've still had to get out of the way of motorcycles on the Old Baldy and Fanton Trails.

AaronPDX

Re: Tumala Mtn. 5/28

Post by AaronPDX » June 3rd, 2016, 7:26 pm

Thanks for sharing! Nice to see the place again.