Badger Lake Loop hike - Rookie Mistakes Were Made

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
CCoffey

Badger Lake Loop hike - Rookie Mistakes Were Made

Post by CCoffey » May 16th, 2016, 7:14 am

Probably a rookie mistake by my friends and I, but our goonies never say die mentality prevailed at the snow packed road 2.5 miles from the trail head. I'll spare you most of the details, but there are a few things that should be known about this trail to future users.

Coming into the great divide trail from the Gumjuwac Saddle Trailhead, there are no signs about the badger creek trail being closed due to the fire last fall.

The great divide trail starts out as a trail and soon turns into what seams to be a game trail that is so terrible, even four-legged game wouldn't use. I would highly recommend picking a different rout and doing an out and back on the badger creek trail/gunsight trail once it reopens.

There was a heavy amount of blowdowns on the trail which added a considerable amount of time to the hike as well.

We may have gone a few weeks too early as there is a heavy amount of snow on the trail as well.

With the added distance we had to park from the tailhead, the weekend total was about 22 miles (including a few wrong turns along the way). I'll probably save this one for the truck in the summer from here on out. :lol:

Koda

Re: Badger Lake Loop hike - Rookie Mistakes Were Made

Post by Koda » May 16th, 2016, 8:11 am

CCoffey wrote:Coming into the great divide trail from the Gumjuwac Saddle Trailhead, there are no signs about the badger creek trail being closed due to the fire last fall.
If I read this correctly, you were able to drive FR3550 from Bennet Pass to within 2.5 miles from Gumjuwac Saddle trailhead on Gunsight Ridge, before you hit snow on the road?

is this the loop you did?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

TodF

Post by TodF » May 16th, 2016, 8:34 am

I would like to hear more about your trip, too. I have been itching to get out to this area, and I am wondering where the snow is, especially on the roads up to High Prairie and other spots north of Badger Creek wilderness.

drm

Post by drm » May 16th, 2016, 2:31 pm

I did the Great Divide trail a few year ago after the snowmelt and it was fine. So I think you somehow got off track due to the snow (easy to do).

Alpenglow

Post by Alpenglow » May 16th, 2016, 5:55 pm

I was up on 4410 going to High Prairie this weekend and the road is still snow bound up until approximately 2 miles from the TH. Definitely late winter, early spring like conditions up there as yet. Saw some Glacier Lilies, Mt Hood Wind Flowers and Trillium all just starting to bloom a bit lower on the road.
Dream as if you'll live forever...Live as if today's your last