Beacon Rock re-opens

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
TravelerTed

Beacon Rock re-opens

Post by TravelerTed » May 15th, 2016, 12:23 pm

Was looking for a quick trail to get a rainy-day view yesterday and I noticed an update that Beacon Rock was set to re-open so we headed out that way. Between the dreary weather and a late afternoon start, the place was almost a ghost town with just two other cars in the lower lot -- definitely a nice way to experience it before the crazy summer crowds clue in!

Unfortunately there wasn't much of a view so I didn't think to really worry about photos until I got back but it's the same old beacon rock, in a good way!

Everything on the trail looks pretty much how I remember it before which is to say, whatever work was done blended in well save for a few new boards on some of the upper walkways. There was also evidence of several down-trees having been removed both right at the start of the "stairway" and higher up on the trail. No changes to the summit and nothing that takes away from the feel of the old trail that I noticed.

Webfoot

Re: Beacon Rock re-opens

Post by Webfoot » May 15th, 2016, 11:27 pm

I am so glad to hear that! Thanks for the report. Others feared it would be closed for a long long time.

TravelerTed

Re: Beacon Rock re-opens

Post by TravelerTed » May 16th, 2016, 4:17 pm

Geesh! I missed that video before but from talking to the ranger office, figured it would be out for a while. Comparing the damage shown against the trail now it's pretty impressive how good a job they did both at fixing things and maintaining the old look IMO