Cook Hill, 5/12/16: Meh.

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
adamschneider

Cook Hill, 5/12/16: Meh.

Post by adamschneider » May 13th, 2016, 1:29 pm

Cook Hill is Dog Mountain's taller, stockier, and frumpier sister to the east. Some people say, "why fight the crowds on Dog Mountain when you can have solitude on a beautiful mountain just a couple miles away?" Well, there's a reason for those crowds and that solitude: Cook Hill is pretty boring compared to Dog Mountain, as I discovered yesterday. I wouldn't have done it at all, except I just did Dog last week, and I wanted to try something new.

The trail starts along and above Jackson Road in an ookow-filled meadow:
1 - ookow.jpg
Then I was in the woods for a few miles, where I found LOTS of everyone's favorite native plant:
2 - poison-oak.jpg
(Fortunately, the poison-oak dropped off dramatically after crossing a stream at about 1100'.)

Between 800 and 1200 feet, there were tons of phantom orchids, just starting to bud:
3 - phantom orchids.jpg
...and spotted coralroot in full bloom, at almost every elevation:
4 - coralroot.jpg
I had no trouble spotting the trail that leaves the old logging road at 1700' and heads east toward the first meadow. The meadow had some nice balsamroot, mostly on the west side where I entered it:
5 - balsamroot meadow.jpg
The trail disappeared in the meadow itself, but it was easy enough to find the re-entry point into the woods at the top of the meadow. From there it was up up up. Along the way, I inadvertently disturbed one of the local residents:
6 - mole.jpg
It was the first time I've ever seen a LIVING mole. (Every other time I've found one, they were lying dead alongside a trail.) It turns out they squeak when they're annoyed.

At about 2700', I emerged into the bottom of the summit meadow:
7 - summit meadow.jpg
I wandered uphill, mostly without a trail, but I knew I just needed to stay near the top of the ridge. The true summit is a bit like Dog Mountain's: hidden in some woods and viewless. But the meadows surrounding the summit had a fair amount of balsamroot, and nice views to the south and west:
8 - Mt. Hood and balsamroot.jpg
... and some other flowers too, including showy phlox (Phlox speciosa):
9 - showy phlox.jpg
After the meadow, the trail follows a ridge crest with occasional views of Mt. Adams:
10 - Mt. Adams.jpg
Then I walked through some more woods, passed some fenced radio towers, and finally came to the turnaround point, which is a huge powerline cut in a saddle between Cook Hill and Augspurger Mountain:
11 - BPA lines.jpg
(Side note: the "MBPAUG" weather station is on the north side of the cut.)

Shortly after re-entering the woods, I noticed a lot of lumpy-textured heart-shaped leaves along the trail and remembered that this must be wild ginger (Asarum caudatum), which I'd never seen before. I poked around under the mini-canopy of leaves, and voilà!
12 - wild ginger.jpg
So that was kinda cool. But then it was back to four miles of old logging road, broken up only by a big talus slope at about 1900':
13 - talus.jpg
...which meant there were a few non-woodland wildflowers, like paintbrush and stonecrop, and this penstemon:
14 - penstemon.jpg
At about 600', I found a leaky water pipe. It was surrounded by poison-oak, but I wanted to get a closer look:
15 - leaky water pipe.jpg
I assume the pipe runs down to the little community of "Cook" from the little stream that crosses the trail. I wonder if anyone knows (or cares) that it needs some help?

I was a little worried about navigation on this hike, but it turned out the trail was very easy to follow, except where it went into meadows. Even then, though, finding the exit point was no trouble. The biggest hazards are poison-oak and boredom; wear long pants, and bring a friend or at least an iPod! Or, better yet — if it's a weekday — just go to Dog Mountain instead. :)

Guy

Re: Cook Hill, 5/12/16: Meh.

Post by Guy » May 13th, 2016, 1:43 pm

Boy those are fighting words Adam ;) . I actually have grown to love the Cook Hill loop.

You are correct it does not have the pizzazz of Dog Mountain but what I love about it are the many different vegetation & habitat areas you hike through on the way up & and on the way back down. Still I'll be quite happy if Cook remains unloved by most and in the Shadow of it's close neighbor.

There are some superior wildflower areas if you continue north from the transmitters along the ridge on what is commonly called the can lid or tin can trail to Augspurger.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » May 13th, 2016, 1:46 pm

Guy wrote:Still I'll be quite happy if Cook remains unloved by most and in the Shadow of it's close neighbor.
I think you'll get your wish. :) My "Meh" headline can only help your cause!

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 13th, 2016, 9:56 pm

I'd much rather go explore Cook than fight the crowds for another trip up Dog. Meh, indeed. If I ever go up Dog again, it will be with a lawn chair and a cooler of beer, where I'll sit and watch the sunrise and the sunset, knowing I occupied a precious parking space all damn day. :lol:

Seriously, the one clear memory I have of going up Dog, I took a stove so I could cook up a luxurious lunch at the top. Nobody said anything, but I bet I got some looks. That was in winter, incidentally.

Nice to see your coralroot pic after that other thread (you know what I mean, even if nobody else does).

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 13th, 2016, 11:25 pm

On the subject of "meh" I am not quite sure what the unique draw of Dog Mountain is. I suppose this may be a case "sour grapes" as I've never done DM due to the length but I haven't seen any pictures that make me think it is any more spectacular than several other flower destinations I visited this year, and someone who has been to DM agrees with me.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 13th, 2016, 11:39 pm

Webfoot wrote:I am not quite sure what the unique draw of Dog Mountain is.
I think it's like the other super-popular hikes (angels rest, ramona falls, etc). It's crowded, so it must be good, which brings in more people, and the cycle repeats. Same reason people will be in line at Screen Door an hour before they open tomorrow. If it's raining, maybe just 40 minutes.
And then there's the desire for a communal experience, wanting to be part of something. The same reason people sign up for organized runs and bike rides. I've always been a little grateful. If people throng to DM and Ramona, it just means more solitude for me, wherever I may be.

RobinB

Post by RobinB » May 14th, 2016, 12:42 am

Thanks for the post - I'd been sort of wondering about that hike. And, I mean, it really doesn't look that "meh." Maybe just meh for this time of year?
Chip Down wrote:
Webfoot wrote:I am not quite sure what the unique draw of Dog Mountain is.
I think it's like the other super-popular hikes (angels rest, ramona falls, etc). It's crowded, so it must be good, which brings in more people, and the cycle repeats.
I sort of like Dog Mountain. I go every May in the evening - get there around four-thirty or five, have a leisurely stroll, a beer on top, and am back at the car by sunset. I went yesterday and saw maybe ten people total, most of them within a half mile of the parking lot. But if you go at prime time on a weekend... yea. Hell. Plus, if you're just in the market for balsamroot explosions, it's well outdone by Dalles Mountain Ranch and other earlier stuff to the east.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 14th, 2016, 9:45 am

We were up there yesterday, too. I really enjoyed it. Especially the solitude. Didn't see another soul until we were bouncing back from Aug down towards Dog.
    Rare view of balsamroot and the backside of Dog, 5/13/16.
That said, as we entered the upper Dog meadows from the north, yes, it was quite apparent why folks are overwhelmed by it. It's not just the vast fields of yellow, but the stupendous backdrops!
    Approaching Dog from the north, 5/13/16.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Dave Rappoccio

Post by Dave Rappoccio » May 14th, 2016, 10:53 am

Webfoot wrote:On the subject of "meh" I am not quite sure what the unique draw of Dog Mountain is. I suppose this may be a case "sour grapes" as I've never done DM due to the length but I haven't seen any pictures that make me think it is any more spectacular than several other flower destinations I visited this year, and someone who has been to DM agrees with me.
Dog Mountain's final half mile ascent through the fully bloomed meadows really is still one of the prettiest sections of trail you can find in the gorge. The views are stupendous and the flowers are insanely dense. On top of that, after working so hard to climb that stupid hill, reaching the puppy dog viewpoint when everything opens up is really special. If you haven't done it before, you really should at least once, in full bloom. If Dog Mountain was a secret like Munra used to be with no trailhead, this forum would constantly rave about it.

That said, it's still way too popular for what it is. I could understand it if it was an easier hike, but it's a pretty tough hike for the crowds it draws, way harder than Angels rest or Multnomah or the other crowded hikes. I still wonder how many people on average go and don't make it to the top. You can definitely get similar views and similar blooms on other less popular hikes.

Lastly, as people have said, it has a reputation at this point, which makes it bigger than it should be.
Last edited by Dave Rappoccio on May 14th, 2016, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

greglief

Post by greglief » May 14th, 2016, 10:55 am

Adam, thank you for your thorough report and photos. Asarum caudatum! :D

Greg