West ZigZag Mountain - July 3, 2008

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Waffle Stomper

West ZigZag Mountain - July 3, 2008

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 4th, 2008, 1:31 pm

On each hike we try to find a trail with lots of elevation gain. This is why we chose West ZigZag mountain (trail starts at 1600 ft) and promised a good distance before hitting snow. It is a short drive from Hwy 26 and Lolo Pass Rd along a rather rough, but brief, one-lane dirt road. If you have a low clearance vehicle take care here. The trailhead parking is limited with room for two, maybe three cars.

This is a great hike if your legs are a little out of condition like mine after a wet and snowy spring. Few boots have traveled this route as evidenced by the growth reaching into the trail, but otherwise it has not suffered from the ravages of winter and there were no major obstacles along the way. The trail was well graded.

The abundant rhododendrons were in full bloom most of the way up, but there will be time to see fresh blossoms since they have not yet opened near the top. Smoke from California forest fires filled the air diminishing the blue of the sky and placing a haze on the distant hills. Looking down you could view some of the neighboring communities on either side of the ridge.

It's hard to capture the beauty of of this spot in the dappled sunlight.
Blossoms were everywhere.

Hazy view. Can anybody tell me the name of these distant mountains.
They are S and SSW of the trail?

A happy hiker

At 4427 ft. we finally reached snow. It came suddenly as we rounded a corner. My GPS showed the trail going straight ahead but without seeing where it came out we chose not to venture on. Quite possibly the snow may have ended as suddenly as it appeared.

Another beautiful day in Mount Hood National Forest!
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

joerunner

Re: West ZigZag Mountain - July 3, 2008

Post by joerunner » July 4th, 2008, 2:59 pm

I really like this trail. If you get a chance for a multiday you might want to go all the way to Paradise up on Hood. There is a camp spot up near the top of West Zig Zag that I have thought of often as a potential overnight stay. It sure would be nice if all that snow would just go away. I'm not real familiar with all the distante peaks but maybe you were seeing Jefferson and or Olallie butte.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 4th, 2008, 3:21 pm

You must have come very close to West Zigzag Mountain, because it's 4468' which is the high point of the trail up to there and you got to 4427'.

I remember Joerunner (or someone?) did West Zigzag all the way to Paradise Park and back in one day, was it last year?

I'm thinking about trying to do Burnt Lake to Paradise Park in a couple days, but there may be too much snow. It's melting off pretty quickly right now. I'll take several days : )

joerunner

Post by joerunner » July 4th, 2008, 3:25 pm

Yeah Jerry, I did that last year. That was a tough one but sure was nice.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 4th, 2008, 5:49 pm

retired jerry wrote:You must have come very close to West Zigzag Mountain, because it's 4468' which is the high point of the trail up to there and you got to 4427'.
Yes, we were nearly there. It will be interesting to hear in a week or two how much the snow melts.
Attachments
ZigZag Snow Level.JPG
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

pablo

Post by pablo » July 4th, 2008, 7:16 pm

My uneducated guess is Signal Buttes... Might be Hambone and Salmon Buttes to the left and right.

--Paul
Waffle Stomper wrote: Hazy view. Can anybody tell me the name of these distant mountains.
They are S and SSW of the trail?

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Swazicar

Post by Swazicar » July 9th, 2008, 4:07 pm

Waffle Stomper wrote:
At 4427 ft. we finally reached snow. It came suddenly as we rounded a corner. My GPS showed the trail going straight ahead but without seeing where it came out we chose not to venture on. Quite possibly the snow may have ended as suddenly as it appeared.

As of Wednesday, July 9, that patch is down to two sections: the first is about 10 yards long, the second 25 yards. After that, there are three or four patches of snow, none covering more than 10 yards of trail. The spot in the photo is still at least a mile from the site of the old lookout. I went as far as about a quarter-mile east of the lookout, to the junction with the trail that drops down to the trailhead parking area for East Zigzag.

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 11th, 2008, 5:48 am

pablo wrote:My uneducated guess is Signal Buttes... Might be Hambone and Salmon Buttes to the left and right.
Perhaps - looks like right position. We were up on Signal Buttes about a year ago. Here's a trip report from that:
http://portlandhikers.com/forums/thread/19015.aspx

Although was a pretty lousy day for photos here's a Google Earth screen print that might help

(click here for larger: http://jeffstatt.smugmug.com/gallery/3058554#166641413)

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 11th, 2008, 6:54 am

Thank you. That looks about right for the first photo with the distant saddle shaped mountain. Any ideas on the other photo with the mountain that has the snow patch on its flank?

fettster

Post by fettster » July 11th, 2008, 9:10 am

That's funny, the snow conditions you found aren't that dissimilar from what I found in mid-February 2007. I definitely didn't get any of the flowers though.

Seems like it was a rewarding day out, thanks for posting.