Things started kind of bad, but then got really good.

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Boozeman

Things started kind of bad, but then got really good.

Post by Boozeman » April 21st, 2016, 11:48 pm

First of all, thanks to the kind folks here that put up the "Field Guides" . I would have never even known about this hike if it weren't for them. :mrgreen:

So, I read about the sometimes nasty locals around the trail head for Lee Falls, but didn't pay it too much mind...other than being aware that I shouldn't park in front of the gate at the trail head. Thanks again, for the heads up on that in the Field Guide. I was making my way down the narrow gravel road that leads to the trail head when somebody in a pick up came roaring around the bend. I moved over as much as I could, but they kind of hogged the whole road. I tried moving over some more and the next thing I know I'm sliding into a drainage ditch along the side of the road!!! I was good and stuck. The truck just kept going. I don't THINK that it was intentional, but you never know. Any way, I saw some folks coming off the trail and asked if they lived nearby. They didn't, but offered to pull my vehicle out of the ditch. If you are reading this, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! You really saved my bacon, because I had no cell service and didn't particularly want to waltz past all of the NO TRESPASSING signs to ask the locals for help.

At any rate, I'm not trying to scare anybody off of going here because it is a pretty amazing place. Just be careful and respectful of people's private property and you should be just fine. One last thing, if the gate happens to be open when you get there DO NOT drive down the road. The people that I talked to said that they lock the gate up at completely random intervals. One day it might be open until 6:00, the next day they lock it at 1:30 it was locked up at 3:30 today. If it gets locked with your vehicle on the other side, you're staying the night. Also, I'm pretty sure that there are no motor vehicles allowed any way but I'm not positive???

The trail itself is essentially a gated off logging road for all intents and purposes. It's in great condition and makes for a pretty easy six mile jaunt. It's completely level too, so if you're a biker you could probably do it that way as well. I got started on the hike around 3:30 this afternoon and saw a few anglers and the family who helped me out of the ditch as they were leaving. I had the rest of the trail to myself the entire time. It was GREAT.

I was really surprised by how "Wild" the place felt for being nestled in between Forest Grove and Gaston. Lots of wildlife and not many people (At least when I was there) . Hagg Lake is also in pretty close proximity, so if you want to make a whole day of it you could go there and enjoy the trails and some water sports.

This might be a little off subject, but the drive there is also pretty nice. Lots of farms and orchards. very scenic. Also, if you're a wine enthusiast, there are quite a few vineyards and even a Sake distillery on the way. It might be fun to stop and pick up a nice bottle and relax by the falls for a while. Just remember to pack that bottle back out with you. :)

Now, on to the pics...
Attachments
LF2.JPG
I saw this fellow almost at the very beginning of the trail. A Rubber Boa just cruising across the road. I'd never seen one before, so I was pretty stoked.
LF1.JPG
This is Little Lee Falls. It's on a short side trail that's pretty close to the beginning of the Lee Falls trail. It kind of reminds me of some of the waterfalls in Lava Canyon by Mt. St. Helens.
LF3.JPG
There are some pretty cool rock formations and cliffs jutting out along the trail. Nothing Gorge-worthy, but still pretty awesome.
LF10.JPG
The wildflowers are almost in prime time!!! Oregon Iris are some of my favorite wildflowers. It still boggles my mind that something this beautiful is just growing alongside the road.
LF4.JPG
Some Camas were starting to pop up here and there. They're simple, but I like them.
LF5.JPG
This is the first time that I've seen this particular flower. I believe they're called Fairy Lanterns.
LF7.JPG
Here's the main show!!! I had the place all to myself the whole time I was here. I can see why it would be a nice swimming hole in the summer heat.
LF8.JPG
I considered going for a swim, but I stuck my feet in the water and that was enough for me. Still pretty cold.
LF9.JPG
Lee Falls is a pretty nice place to visit if you're a long distance from the Gorge or Mt. Hood but want to get in some exercise and take in some nice views.
LF11.JPG
These guys were just running down the middle of the road when I was driving home. I thought somebody's chickens got loose until I got close enough to ID them. QUAIL!!!

bobcat

Re: Things started kind of bad, but then got really good.

Post by bobcat » April 22nd, 2016, 8:09 am

This is one of the best little road jaunts in the area and spring is a fine time to do it. Lee Falls is a cool waterfall. Glad the Field Guide was helpful.