Lookout & Little Lookout Mountains, Footbridge GONE! 4-9-16

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Tibbits

Lookout & Little Lookout Mountains, Footbridge GONE! 4-9-16

Post by Tibbits » April 11th, 2016, 7:19 pm

I just attempted to do the Lookout and Little Lookout Mountains Hike this past weekend and unfortunately the log footbridge that crosses the East Fork Lewis River is no longer there. The only way to cross the river now is by fording it, and currently the water is too cold (so cold it hurts), too fast, and too deep (the shallowest area I found was mid thigh) to cross safely. I would not recommend doing this hike until water levels are lower in the summer. If you are some super hiker and are confident you can hike in and out 10 miles and cross the river without being swept away into the icy cold waters below than go for it. But I would advise you to BE SAFE, and to not waste your time attempting to cross like I did. :|
Attachments
2016-04-09 10.02.08.jpg
A shot of the trail before I had to turn around.

bobcat

Re: Lookout & Little Lookout Mountains, Footbridge GONE! 4-9

Post by bobcat » April 12th, 2016, 12:42 pm

Tibbits, thanks for posting this information. Sorry you had to turn around. Must have been some winter spate that washed that log away. I will definitely amend all relevant pages in the Field Guide.

Tibbits

Re: Lookout & Little Lookout Mountains, Footbridge GONE! 4-9

Post by Tibbits » April 12th, 2016, 2:01 pm

Great! Thanks for updating the field guide. Surprisingly enough it looked like someone came though and cut the logs. Those could have been different logs than the footbridge though.