Tracy Hill-Rowland Wall Loop (Catherine Creek) 03-13-16

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Tracy Hill-Rowland Wall Loop (Catherine Creek) 03-13-16

Post by bobcat » March 16th, 2016, 3:41 pm

Bearing east last Sunday, I felt I was safely out of the rain zone when I reached Catherine Creek, so I pulled into the easternmost trailhead there (Tracy Hill) and began a meandering loop. Parts of this have been reported in jdemott’s return to the land of the truly living and Guy’s February outing.

Catherine Creek is another one of those immensely popular east Gorge destinations that was slowly discovered by the hiking masses after it became public land. Originally the Lauterbach Ranch, the property, which extends from Tracy Hill west to the Labyrinth, was purchased by the Trust for Public Land in 1985. In 1986, the Scenic Area was established and the next year, the Forest Service purchased the land from TPL in keeping with its goal to expand public holdings within the CRGNSA. At first, only a few botanizers explored these slopes: the area has greater floral diversity than places like Dog Mountain because of the unusual scabland nature of the slopes below 1,200 feet, which were scoured repeatedly by the Bretz (Missoula) Floods (15,300 – 12,700 years ago). Now, of course, anyone hiking the upper slopes in the spring can look down on that lengthy, glinting line of vehicles pulled in at the main trailhead.

Mt. Hood was always under cloud, but as I ascended Tracy Hill the views of the Columbia opened up, especially east towards Crates Point and the Columbia Hills. The grass widows are in decline, but early spring blooms like bog saxifrage, poet’s shooting star, gold stars, prairie star, and whitlow grass were abundant on the lower scablands. The trail/old jeep track winds up close to the oak woods rimming Major Creek: I looked down and a coyote was gamboling across the sward before ducking into the woods. After a short stretch in the oaks, the trail led along the slope below an old cattle pond and Tracy Hill Spring. I reached a copse of ponderosas and wandered down to the bench above Catherine Creek.
View to Memaloose Island, McCall Point and Sevenmile Hill, Tracy Hill.jpg
Poet's shooting star (Dodecatheon poeticum), Tracy Hill.jpg
Yellow bells (Fritillaria pudica), Tracy Hill.jpg
Bog saxifrage (Micranthes oregana), Tracy Hill.jpg
Small-flowered prairie star (Lithophragma parviflorum), Tracy Hill.jpg
Gray-leaf desert parsley (Lomatium macrocarpum), Tracy Hill.jpg
Grass widows (Sisyrinchium douglasii), Tracy Hill.jpg
Gold stars (Crocidium multicaule), Tracy Hill.jpg
Piper's desert parsley (Lomatium piperi), Tracy Hill.jpg
There's a coyote in this picture, Tracy Hill.jpg
Oaks, Tracy Hill.jpg
Dad, Tracy Hill.jpg
The Columbia Hills from Tracy Hill.jpg
Oak woods, Tracy Hill.jpg
Pale grass widow, Tracy Hill.jpg
Cattle pond, Tracy Hill.jpg
Turning up the creek, I took up the network of braided deer trails that traverse an ever-steepening slope. I kept the trajectory of Old Stove Road across the creek in sight before descending into the brushy, poison oak choked creek bottom to attempt a crossing. The creek was flowing well but could have been forded; however, with the assistance of a stout staff, I made the crossing dry footed on a small, slippery log. Then I hiked up along Old Stove Road into ever gloomier woods and arrived at the junction with Atwood Road.
Deer trail, east slope of Catherine Creek.jpg
Columbia desert parsley (Lomatium columbianum), Catherine Creek.jpg
Footbridge, Catherine Creek.jpg
Old Stove Road, Catherine Creek.jpg
Signage, Old Stove Road, Catherine Creek.jpg
I took Atwood up to the open slopes of East Burdoin Mountain, crossed under the powerlines there, and hopped Rowland Creek where the oaks turn to Douglas-firs. I took the first path down the slope (What I will call the Rowland Wall Trail); at the next junction I decided to explore what I will call the Interminably Winding Upper Rowland Basin Mountain Bike Trail. After half an hour or so, I got tired of winding and guessed I had really only descended about 80 feet or so from the junction. I cut back up to the ridge and found the Rowland Wall Trail. This I descended, getting views of the Rowland Pinnacle and McCall Point, etc. before dropping to cross the creek and arrive at the rim of East Burdoin. The route descended the lip of Rowland Wall from here and I met many hikers coming up. After visiting the Pinnacle from above, I followed the trail east past numerous vernal pools almost to the main parking area.
View to Crates Point, East Burdoin Mountain.jpg
View east, Rowland Basin Trail.jpg
Rowland Pinnacle from the Rowland Wall Trail.jpg
Looking across the Rowland Basin to the Labyrinth, Rowland Wall Trail.jpg
Smooth prairie star (Lithophragma glabrum), Rowland Wall Trail.jpg
Vernal pool, Rowland Wall Trail.jpg
I still had to get back to the Tracy Trailhead, so I finished the day by following the Arch Trail up the Catherine Creek valley past the old corral and then looped back over above the arch (now, of course, protected by a pole and rail fence) and descended the scabland slope to Highway 8. I followed the fence line here until I dropped to the road for the last 200 yards back to the car.
Corral, Catherine Creek.jpg
The arch, Catherine Creek.jpg
View to Memaloose Island, Catherine Creek Loop.jpg
Only a couple of sprinkles, but after a calm morning, the wind came up mid-afternoon and I drove the freeway back through a couple of blinding monsoon-like downpours.

Guy

Re: Tracy Hill-Rowland Wall Loop (Catherine Creek) 03-13-16

Post by Guy » March 16th, 2016, 4:06 pm

Lovely report Bobcat,

I've heard from others that the East side off Catherine Creek up near Old Stove Road is swarming with ticks down near creek level. Was this the case?
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » March 16th, 2016, 4:21 pm

Very nice. And thank you for sharing your botanical expertise!
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » March 16th, 2016, 11:02 pm

Guy wrote:Lovely report Bobcat,

I've heard from others that the East side off Catherine Creek up near Old Stove Road is swarming with ticks down near creek level. Was this the case?
This is where VanMarmots 'angry nest of ticks' lives.

They are pure evil

-Q-

Post by -Q- » March 16th, 2016, 11:05 pm

"I looked down and a coyote was gamboling across the sward before ducking into the woods"

Nicely done :mrgreen:

bobcat

Post by bobcat » March 17th, 2016, 5:20 am

Guy wrote:I've heard from others that the East side off Catherine Creek up near Old Stove Road is swarming with ticks down near creek level. Was this the case?
Yes, normally in spring deer trails = lots of ticks, but I didn't attract any that I know of this time (I've picked up a couple there in the past). Of course, sometimes they mysteriously appear a few days later, like on my wife's side of the matrimonial bed . . . or maybe I'm getting so old and bloodless, they'd prefer to await a juicier host.

Guy

Post by Guy » March 17th, 2016, 7:42 am

bobcat wrote: Of course, sometimes they mysteriously appear a few days later, like on my wife's side of the matrimonial bed . . . or maybe I'm getting so old and bloodless, they'd prefer to await a juicier host.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd be sleeping on the couch for a good long while if that happend :)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

jdemott

Post by jdemott » March 17th, 2016, 1:29 pm

at the next junction I decided to explore what I will call the Interminably Winding Upper Rowland Basin Mountain Bike Trail. After half an hour or so, I got tired of winding and guessed I had really only descended about 80 feet or so from the junction. I cut back up to the ridge and found the Rowland Wall Trail.
The "Interminably Winding Upper Rowland Basin Mountain Bike Trail!!" :lol: Wonderfully descriptive name! Sounds like your experience of it was much like mine a year or so ago--pointless wandering followed by a bail out.

Great report!

CuriousGorge

Post by CuriousGorge » March 25th, 2016, 2:36 am

Well said Bobcat! I'll have to remember to use "gamboling" somewhere in my text, someplace. You might protest, perhaps not...but Tracy Hill will be in the next Curious Gorge...with of course admonitions that "you probably won't be to interested...but...."
We know people don't buy guidebook anymore anyhow, right?
cheers, scott (oh, and I hadn't seen the "dad" tree, so thx for that lil mystery!)

Peder

Post by Peder » March 25th, 2016, 10:37 am

Guy wrote:I'd be sleeping on the couch for a good long while if that happend :)
I would be banned from hike for life! :(

Great TR bobcat and a reminder to get back to this lovely destination - peak season is coming up!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…