Roads End 3/15

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Roads End 3/15

Post by pdxgene » March 15th, 2016, 3:43 pm

And it rained... All the way there, all the time on the beach, and all the way back. Grrrrr.... From the parking lot at Roads End Beach you can head south three miles to the D River and north a mile and a half where you can go no further with any safety at all unless there's a minus tide. Today was 0.3 but even that wasn't low enough to even get to the tidepools which I kinda thought it would be. I got there at 10a so I did the south part first. Only a couple pics from this leg starting out with one of the bald eagles i would see during the trip..

A seasonal waterfall plunging off a hillside heading south..

Some of the early sea foam colors..

Arriving back at the north end a couple hours later the colors of the rain soaked driftwood and some of the velella-velella that line the beach everywhere.

Only one of the closest in tidepools with anemones was exposed..

Good thing my camera is waterproof, we're getting pretty wet...lol..

Even the mussel shells had some nice color, particularly this one..

My daylong companion, pretty much every second of it..

The waterfall at the north end of Roads End Beach...

More of the nice colors in the sea foam bubbles.. There was not a hint of sun so I was kinda surprised at these..

Especially this one..

A couple more bald eagles in the treetops about a hundred yards from each other as I made my way back towards the car..

Even with the steady rain there's colors in the sand patterns..

And finishing things up with a couple looks at some of the millions and millions of velella-velella that have been washed ashore with the wind pattern. Normally it happens later in spring, or so they said on the news, and they are much much bigger. They squish if you walk on them and are verrrry slippery too. I'd guess as (IF) the sun comes out, it's not gonna smell really nice for awhile.. :lol:

I had hoped for a break in the clouds to get some sunlight on them to light them up a bit but no such luck today..

Normally I wouldn't go on a day like this but having survived working Justin Bieber on Sunday I really needed a day out of town...lol.. i did actually have reservations at Clear Lake for tomorrow but multiple feet of snow at Santiam Junction that I'd have to drive thru killed that idea quick. sigh...
Full album from a wet, wet day today here.. http://picasaweb.google.com/pdxgene/RoadsEndbeach16

Chip Down

Re: Roads End 3/15

Post by Chip Down » March 16th, 2016, 8:37 am

Wait...are you saying I missed a Justin Bieber performance?! :shock:

I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't been to the coast in over 11 years (which I know because my 11 year old car has never made the trip). Tired of the wind and rain and crowds and tourist traps. Thanks for suffering all those things for us so we could see your nice pictures.

pdxgene

Re: Roads End 3/15

Post by pdxgene » March 16th, 2016, 10:19 am

It (concert) was epic.. :P

99w/18 to Lincoln City is pretty much the easiest place I can drive to. A right turn out of my parking lot, one block and a right turn on 99w. Follow it 'til I get there... :)