Florence-Sweet Cr. Falls/Old Growth Ridge/Sutton Cr. 2/20/16

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
derwoodynck

Florence-Sweet Cr. Falls/Old Growth Ridge/Sutton Cr. 2/20/16

Post by derwoodynck » February 21st, 2016, 9:09 am

We took advantage of the decent weather Saturday and headed down toward Florence to check out a few of the shorter trails in the area. We started at the Whittaker Creek Recreation Area along Highway 126 and did a loop along the Old Growth Ridge and Armantrout Loop Trails. The Old Growth Ridge Trial climbs to a forested viewpoint overlooking the Siuslaw River. There were low clouds blocking any views but the trials were nice with lots of informational signs along the way. Quite a bit of snow queen was blooming and a young bald eagle was hanging out near the trailhead.

We continued on toward Florence stopping at the Sweet Creek Trail for our first visit to Sweet Creek Falls. There was quite a bit of water but it wasn't muddy at all which was nice. We hiked from the Homestead Trailhead to Sweet Creek Falls and back then drove up to the Wagon Road Trailhead and took the Sweet Creek Trail west back down to the falls on the opposite side of the creek and then east up to Beaver Creek Falls.

Annice Falls

Elk Wallow Falls

Sweet Creek Falls

Sweet Creek Falls

Skunk Cabbage

Beaver Creek Falls

We ended the day at the Holman Vista Day Use Area north of Florence where we did a figure 8 hike on the Sutton Creek Trails.

Turkey tail mushrooms

Only trail so far where we've been able to take a swing break mid hike. :lol:

kaltbluter

Re: Florence-Sweet Cr. Falls/Old Growth Ridge/Sutton Cr. 2/2

Post by kaltbluter » February 21st, 2016, 2:14 pm

I took the kids for a walk on Sweet Creek Trail on Saturday too. I couldn't believe how many cars were at the homestead trailhead when we left.

Since you beat me to a trip report I'll just tack a few pictures onto the end of yours.

derwoodynck

Post by derwoodynck » February 21st, 2016, 2:59 pm

kaltbluter wrote:I took the kids for a walk on Sweet Creek Trail on Saturday too. I couldn't believe how many cars were at the homestead trailhead when we left.
I recognize those girls, we passed on the trail. They looked like they were excited to be out and my wife commented on how cool it was they each had their own cameras.

When we got there just after 9:30 and there were only two other cars but it was overflowing when we drove by on the way to Florence.

We didn't run into any other hikers on any of the other trails that day.

miah66

Post by miah66 » February 22nd, 2016, 8:06 am

Great TR! It makes me realize just how much more of the state there is left to explore. I've never been hiking in any of those areas, or even spent much time at all in Eugene/Florence. That's an impressive creek.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

kaltbluter

Post by kaltbluter » February 22nd, 2016, 11:26 am

derwoodynck wrote:I recognize those girls, we passed on the trail. They looked like they were excited to be out and my wife commented on how cool it was they each had their own cameras.
Sometimes it's funny to see what they take pictures of. An eight year old has a unique criteria for deciding what needs to be photographed.
miah66 wrote:I've never been hiking in any of those areas, or even spent much time at all in Eugene/Florence.
I met the gal that runs this site on the trail that day. Her pages on Willamette Foothills, Willamette Pass, McKenzie Foothills and Central Coast/Coast Range cover quite a few hikes in the Eugene area. It looks like about 10% of her hiking pages are for members only but there's some decent data in there that's available to everyone.

miah66

Post by miah66 » February 22nd, 2016, 12:05 pm

Thanks for the link! Cool site!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » February 22nd, 2016, 8:00 pm

Great pictures and report, DW. I haven't been down to Florence in ages but your write-up really makes me want to go back.

Reminds me, I had a pretty hilarious trip down there with my dad and brother when I was little. We went on a crazy dune buggy ride with a guy the locals called Wild Bill. Lets just say the ride was awesome but when I stepped off the buggy I puked everywhere(right in front of the next family who was waiting to board lol :lol:

derwoodynck

Post by derwoodynck » February 23rd, 2016, 5:59 pm

miah66 wrote:Great TR! It makes me realize just how much more of the state there is left to explore. I've never been hiking in any of those areas, or even spent much time at all in Eugene/Florence. That's an impressive creek.
We're trying to make our way around the State, but there is just so much to see. Gives us something to aim for though.
kaltbluter wrote:
derwoodynck wrote:I recognize those girls, we passed on the trail. They looked like they were excited to be out and my wife commented on how cool it was they each had their own cameras.
Sometimes it's funny to see what they take pictures of. An eight year old has a unique criteria for deciding what needs to be photographed.
We actually were discussing that after my wife made that comment. I was remembering some of the photos I took as a kid (and sometimes still do :D ).
Sean Thomas wrote:Great pictures and report, DW. I haven't been down to Florence in ages but your write-up really makes me want to go back.

Reminds me, I had a pretty hilarious trip down there with my dad and brother when I was little. We went on a crazy dune buggy ride with a guy the locals called Wild Bill. Lets just say the ride was awesome but when I stepped off the buggy I puked everywhere(right in front of the next family who was waiting to board lol :lol:
I think that means it was a really good ride. :lol: