North TR, Cape Lookout TR and South TR 2/1/16

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
dfs1109

North TR, Cape Lookout TR and South TR 2/1/16

Post by dfs1109 » February 2nd, 2016, 11:47 pm

Decided to head to the coast since the weather forecast was predicted to be partly cloudy with low winds. Part of the excitement was actually getting to the coast. I decided on a route that Ive never taken before and probably wont ever again (at least during winter). I live in the Willamette and this route seemed more direct so I gave it shot. Road is called Meadow Lake Rd and you just stay straight. Road is very scenic and before I realized I was driving on a sheet of ice. I chained up and push ahead since I felt like I was about half way over the Coastal Range. I passed a large reservoir and by this time everything was frosted over. Road turned to dirt which had me more concerned wondering if this road was going to reach the coast. A couple of miles later it switched to pavement and I followed the Nestucca River (beautiful scenic)way to Beaver before getting onto 101 and heading north which will get you to Cape Lookout Park (North Trail TH).

According to GPS 64st:

Time: 5:40 mins (including all stops)
Distance: 13.5 miles
Elev. Gain/Loss: 3018 ft/3048 ft
Max Elev.: 823 ft

Trail is fairly simple to follow and is well marked. The North Trail which starts below Netarts Bay is around 9.5 miles round trip and I tacked on the South Trail which takes you down to the beach on the southern side of Cape Lookout. Also, upon returning I walked the beach back (and passed) the TH as I neared the parking lot.

Parking at the lot does require a $5 self issued permit.

Netarts Bay

Wood/Cable bridge

View from the tip of Cape Lookout and also where I had lunch.

Beach that the South TR leads to and views of Cape Lookout.

Rainbow over Netarts Bay!

Not exactly the kind of seal I was expecting to see. :(

I had forgotten how the sound of the waves crashing on the rocks make me feel. Weather held up nicely and I had a great day on the coast in February! A link to more photos: http://imgur.com/a/J1LnZ

Daniel
"Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have our tea first?" Peter Pan