Salmon Butte (partial) 1.31.16

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
romann

Salmon Butte (partial) 1.31.16

Post by romann » February 2nd, 2016, 1:03 am

At last moment's thought I went to Salmon Butte on Sunday, to see some fresh snow. Was a nice hike for the weather, but I didn't set enough time to make it to the summit (4th Salmon "fail" already - someday I need to plan and get it done). Met 2 groups of hikers in the first mile - on old roadbed made a trail - but within 1/4 mile of actual trail all tracks turned around. It was a quiet hike.

New snow picked up to ~3-4 inches by 2000' (less under trees) and stayed pretty consistent through the hike, it was easy to walk on. By 4000' however I started encountering old snow layer below, and it was firm and icy, and slowed me considerably. I turned around near 4200', not because of conditions, just decided I didn't want to tag summit in the dark anyway. Crampons would definitely be helpful for the upper part, snowshoes - maybe not so much.

Always thankful they left concrete bridge over this creek, after turning the first mile of road into a trail

In the beginning it was like going in the rain, with snow melting off branches

Spotty forest

Too early for rhododendrons

At a viewpoint ~2,800-3,000 elevation. No views, no wind, no dripping (finally) and very quiet. There were tiny (foxes'?) tracks but it will be more there on the way back.

Saw 2 or 3 of these native birds flying around - yes, active at lower 30's!

I rarely take pictures just going through the forest - but snow brings in more diversity to landscape. This trail is well-graded, views don't change much mile after mile, and hours pass unnoticed.

Yes blue skies did make an appearance on Sunday :)

The temps dipped into mid-20's or so, and my soaked backpack slowly iced over... But uphill warmed me good enough, so wet winter coat, sweater, gloves, snowshoes were more exercise weight than anything. Rain coat (over a fleece shirt) was probably the best piece of gear I brought that day

The summit is there somewhere. I turned about 50-100' short of ridge viewpoint when trail became icy and going slow.

On the way back near viewpoint I saw that my tracks were followed by 2 cougars (or bobcats?) downhill. I didn't take my dog and my tracks were the only ones on trail beyond 1st mile, so these couldn't be dog tracks. They went on trail for about 1/2 mile before veering into the forest.

It was probably a female with a young. But what kind of cat? Comparing to my boot prints, the larger track was about 3.25'' wide - smaller than I'd expect for cougar but too big for a bobcat. But then, the stride was only about 26-28''... Hard to tell.

At the bottom edge of this pic, the larger track fit perfectly into my heel print, which is just under 3.5'' wide.

Screenshot from online Montana DNR brochure, telling difference between cougar, bobcat, and lynx tracks.
Cat_Identification.jpg
click to enlarge
One part of me thinks "if I just stayed at viewpoint with camera ready and sit quiet...", while my other part says "lucky I didn't hang out there longer" :lol: . Either way, pretty exciting to be so close to actual encounter.

(edited for typos)
Last edited by romann on February 3rd, 2016, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miah66

Re: Salmon Butte (partial) 1.31.16

Post by miah66 » February 2nd, 2016, 8:28 am

Definitely cool trip. Viewpoint on Salmon is pretty good for a few more years until the trees reclaim it.

Image. by JM Jenkins, on Flickr

I was there in March 2015, not a single speck of snow in sight, save for the volcanoes.

Re: cougars/bobcats...when I was recently in Montana, there were tracks of them everywhere! Not like here, where you don't really see them. I spotted some on 3 of the 5 outings I did. It was quite a surprise.

Here is a set of tracks from a (I think) bobcat hopping in deep snow, front feet together. You can see the line his tail left in the snow. I'd estimate his hops to be about 36-48" apart.

"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

romann

Post by romann » February 2nd, 2016, 9:37 pm

Miah - thanks for motivational view, I always go on cloudy days on this trail (king of "escape the rain to snow" hike for me) and it looks very different here. Lack of views kind of discouraged me from completing the hike - I need to plan the summit for a nice sunny day.

Cool you got to see cougar and bobcat tracks on your trip! Definitely a rarity here.
miah66 wrote:Definitely cool trip. Viewpoint on Salmon is pretty good for a few more years until the trees reclaim it.

Image. by JM Jenkins, on Flickr
The most weird tracks I saw on snow (this same trail a couple of years ago) were raccoon tracks... Almost looked like human hand prints.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » February 2nd, 2016, 10:44 pm

Salmon butte is a bit of a nemesis to me as well romann, glad to see I have some company :P

As it stands:

Q... 2

Salmon butte... 3

I really need to even that score this year