Herman to Casey Creek

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
gratefultrails

Herman to Casey Creek

Post by gratefultrails » January 16th, 2016, 6:55 pm

I had some major urges for hiking and ancient groves so I tried my first exploration of the Herman Creek trail in the Hatfield Wilderness. Forecast said heavy rain would be ending around 10 am so I brought my regular pants. At 10:15ish I arrived to a full lot (on the car side) so I took the last available spot on the side of the road. I saw very few people out on the trail however. It was pleasant and misty to begin on the trail.

I ditched my city water for some mountain water at the Herman Camp spring. I've drank unfiltered water from many springs around Oregon, and this one seemed fine after some days of sustained moderate rainfall. It's nice because you can scope the area above the spring for any immediate health-compromising variables on the user trail down to it.

Some major blowdown on the trail between Herman Camp and the wilderness boundary. One tree took out the trail entirely, and I barely squeezed under it. There were many obstacles which made for great awareness whilst hiking solo. These obstacles included the blowdown, large puddles, and raging creek crossings. The only one that gave me some real trouble was Camp Creek, but after 5 minutes I found my way to the other bank.

This was the first waterfall I encountered. It was quite the wonderland up there, with the falls flowing through 3 tiers down between rock pinnacles. There were many falls on the side creeks.

I hear this one is called Nick Eaton falls :ugeek:

The last falls I took a picture of, though there was another.

My goal was to explore the ancient forest I heard was around the Casey Creek area and the Herman forks confluence area. It began to pour rain so hard I could not take any photos of the majestic trees. But oh! Very worth the jog/slog up the wet trail. I ended up taking the wrong user trail down toward the forks area and only hit Casey Creek. It was so wet and muddy when I returned to the ancient grove back on the main trail that I ate my lunch under a big Doug and thought about returning to the car.

I looked up and saw three hikers and their canines emerge out of the fog in the old growth grove (very groovy, mystical looking) from the correct Forks user trail. After speaking with George, I decided turning back was best. Hey, maybe he's on this website!

There were small patches of snow on the trail, but I jogged/hiked the whole thing in my Trail Gloves with no problems. A thorough soaking by Mother Nature was just what I needed. Gorgeous!

What a long strange trip it was! A little more than 8 miles from about 10:30 - 2:00 PM.

Chase

Re: Herman to Casey Creek

Post by Chase » January 17th, 2016, 8:16 am

Love TRs like this. Just getting out there even if there's rain and fog... Keep it real.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » January 17th, 2016, 8:29 pm

gratefultrails wrote:Image
That bear is far out!

drm

Post by drm » January 18th, 2016, 4:03 pm

I went up today a little above Casey Creek. I took the Corona hand saw somebody got me for Christmas and cut maybe 10 branches between 2 and 6 inches. Threw/pushed/kicked dozens more off. The biggest down trees are concentrated around (before and after) the main junctions (400/Gorton/Nick Eaton). Once you get past the worst one that us taller folks need to crawl under through the mud (with pack off), they aren't too bad. The majority of them are before the wilderness boundary.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » January 18th, 2016, 6:01 pm

Great report and pictures, GT. I think I've seen your photos somewhere before lol ;)

We should go up there later in the spring/summer to see some of the biggest trees in the east fork canyon, mainly up by cedar swamp.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » January 19th, 2016, 9:16 am

Glad you had a good day. The Forks are wonderful. Although I've been to Herman Creek many times I've only done the Forks once. Good to know Camp Creek requires more care. Did you rock hop or wade?
Woodswalker

gratefultrails

Post by gratefultrails » January 19th, 2016, 1:14 pm

Sean Thomas wrote:Great report and pictures, GT. I think I've seen your photos somewhere before lol ;)

We should go up there later in the spring/summer to see some of the biggest trees in the east fork canyon, mainly up by cedar swamp.
Heheh I figured I needed a new media outlet for all things hiking, so I decided to start posting on this great resource!

That sounds awesome, Cedar Swamp looks like such a cool spot. Let's do it!

gratefultrails

Post by gratefultrails » January 19th, 2016, 1:18 pm

woodswalker wrote:Glad you had a good day. The Forks are wonderful. Although I've been to Herman Creek many times I've only done the Forks once. Good to know Camp Creek requires more care. Did you rock hop or wade?
Woodswalker
I rock-hopped and used a fallen log just upstream of the trail crossing . The group with the dogs evidently made it across by wading (or else carrying their pooches). I was being very timid and not wanting to get any extra water on me.. I'd gone with the minimalist gear approach and didn't want to get any colder than I already was out there. I think if you have nice boots and gaters/rain pants, it wouldn't be a big problem :)