Tanner Butte - Dublin Lake - Tanner Avalanche loop

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

Tanner Butte - Dublin Lake - Tanner Avalanche loop

Post by Don Nelsen » July 3rd, 2008, 10:51 pm

There have been some questions on the site about conditions on some of the longer gorge loops so I planned to do the Tanner/Dublin/Eagle loop today to see how it looked.

I only found out I had the day off late yesterday so needed to take care of a few obligations in the morning and didn't get to the trailhead at Eagle Creek until nearly noon.

I parked as near the camp host at Eagle Creek as possible and crossed the suspension bridge over Eagle creek at a quarter to twelve. I hit the first snow at 3,700 feet just before the Dublin Lake junction. I thought that since the snow was at 3,700 feet, the lake should be snow free since it is at 3,500' but it's on an east facing slope and this has been an unusual year so down the trail I went to check it out. Wow! - the trail is mostly snow-free, but there is snow all over the place around the lake. There are still plenty of spots that are snow-free for camping but it is more like April than July.

Here's a view of a good campsite by the lake:
I returned to the main trail to Tanner Butte and after a couple of miles it started to get pretty snow-covered:
The rest of the trail to the junction to the scramble trail up to the summit of Tanner had snow piled as high at five feet but it was discontinuous and the trail was very easy to follow: Here's a view from the top of Tanner and Tanner Lake:
Just uphill from the lake was evidence of an avalanche over the winter that wiped out a nice grove of Alaskan Cedars and Hemlock in the bowl to the south of the peak:
I went over to the north side and much to my surprise I saw evidence of a major avalanche:
This was too much to resist: Avalanches are most rare at such low elevations and this one took out a huge amount of trees and ran-out a long way into a forest that is over 100 years old, at least. Besides, I had long wondered if one could descend the east face of Tanner so this was my chance to find out! It looked like a thousand feet or more, maybe 1,200, but I thought I had enough time to get this done and return before dark so down I went: Way tougher and way farther than I thought!! It took me nearly an hour to reach the slide and it turned out to be 1,800 vertical feet. (I reached the avalanche at 2,700 feet elevation.) I would have to climb back to at least 4,000' to reach the trail so now I was really on a time schedule.
On the way down, this deer posed for me - He acted like he's never seen a human before and let me get to about thirty feet before he took off for the forest:
Once at the avalanche, it was quite the sight:
Here's another view:
Here's a map of the upper part of the journey: 21.4 miles, 5,897 vertical feet.
Last edited by Don Nelsen on July 9th, 2009, 8:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

BCJ

Re: Tanner Butte - Dublin Lake - Tanner Avalanche loop

Post by BCJ » July 3rd, 2008, 10:57 pm

I never would have thought of being in avalanche danger in the forest at that low elevation...scary stuff. Thanks for the report!

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 3rd, 2008, 11:06 pm

I should add: Reaching the avalanche area by down climbing from the top of Tanner Butte is dangerous and unnecessary. You can get to it much more easily by using the route I used to climb back out accessing the top of the talus field through a very short bushwhack through the trees from the main Tanner trail as per the map.

Another thing: The entire avalanche area is unstable and shifting due to the huge mass of broken branches and large trees on top of five to ten feet of melting snow.
Last edited by Don Nelsen on July 4th, 2008, 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

joerunner

Post by joerunner » July 4th, 2008, 5:47 am

Very timely report for me Don. I plan on doing the tanner to Nesmith traverse this weekend. Your report gives me confidence that I'll be able to find the trail at least on the East side of the Tanner basin. A couple of weeks ago I was on the logging road behind Nesmith Pt. and couldn't even find the trailhead that drops down to Moffet/Tanner creeks, I'm hoping with a bit less snow it will be easier to navigate from East to West.

pablo

Post by pablo » July 4th, 2008, 7:05 am

Don, awesome avalanche photos, trees broken like matchsticks, love the deer, great report. I've been hoping someone would get up there and do a report as there is an abandoned section of the 431 trail that goes up Tanner Creek to intersect a road in Bull Run WS that I want to investigate. Of course, I'll have to turn up the hill towards Tanner Butte before I get to BR but still, there maybe some thing left - and I need snow free conditions - I'm going to hold off on this one for a few weeks. Tanner Creek to Tanner Butte would make a great loop.

Thx,

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 4th, 2008, 11:30 am

pablo wrote:Don, awesome avalanche photos, trees broken like matchsticks, love the deer, great report. I've been hoping someone would get up there and do a report as there is an abandoned section of the 431 trail that goes up Tanner Creek to intersect a road in Bull Run WS that I want to investigate. Of course, I'll have to turn up the hill towards Tanner Butte before I get to BR but still, there maybe some thing left - and I need snow free conditions - I'm going to hold off on this one for a few weeks. Tanner Creek to Tanner Butte would make a great loop.

Thx,

--Paul
Hi Paul,

What a coincidence! I was up there on 6/28 checking out the very same thing! I saw the trail on one of the old maps. I ended up at a dead end where it's extremely overgrown but someone has already hacked the brush back to that point this year. I ran out of time so went back and climbed the trail up to the junction with Dublin Lake and went north. Here's the map for my trip last week with a few notes plus the approx. alignment of the old trail with a possible alternate I want to explore that avoids the BRW area and might make a good loop.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 4th, 2008, 11:53 am

joerunner wrote:Very timely report for me Don. I plan on doing the tanner to Nesmith traverse this weekend. Your report gives me confidence that I'll be able to find the trail at least on the East side of the Tanner basin. A couple of weeks ago I was on the logging road behind Nesmith Pt. and couldn't even find the trailhead that drops down to Moffet/Tanner creeks, I'm hoping with a bit less snow it will be easier to navigate from East to West.
Hi Joe,

A lot of snow has melted in just this past week judging from what I saw in the area of the Dublin Lake junction between 6/28 and 7/3 so you should have no problem. Tanner creek has a sketchy but do-able fallen log crossing where I indicated on the map I posted in my reply to Pablo. Here's a photo of that:
It's been a long time since I was on trail 430 between the creek and Von Ahn rim so I don't remember if I waded across or crossed on a log. The map shows the trail continuing up the hill from the log crossing but I crossed the log last weekend and could not find the trail. (I didn't look too hard, though as that was not my prime mission that day and I was running short on time anyway). I'm looking forward to seeing your trip report.

pablo

Post by pablo » July 4th, 2008, 12:57 pm

Don, pardon me for barging in here and forgive me if I'm totally off-base, but I think you've got the location of the start of the Moffet Creek trail wrong. The USGS map trail line headed out of Tanner Creek going west up the hill towards Van Ahn Rim is waaay off. The marker on the map above 'Side Trail to Creek' is the start of the Moffet Creek Trail - it should be signed at the intersection with Tanner Creek trail and flagged on both sides of the creek. First time I went up that way I ignored the sign, went up to where you have it marked as 'Cross on cedar log...' and crossed Tanner Creek (likely on that very same log, I'd have to check my photos) and, being unable to find trail since the trail is not there, bushwhacked up the hill until I eventually ran into the trail. Here's the map I did for that trip report.

Here's the report I did at the time.

--Paul
Don Nelsen wrote:
joerunner wrote:Very timely report for me Don. I plan on doing the tanner to Nesmith traverse this weekend. Your report gives me confidence that I'll be able to find the trail at least on the East side of the Tanner basin. A couple of weeks ago I was on the logging road behind Nesmith Pt. and couldn't even find the trailhead that drops down to Moffet/Tanner creeks, I'm hoping with a bit less snow it will be easier to navigate from East to West.
Hi Joe,

A lot of snow has melted in just this past week judging from what I saw in the area of the Dublin Lake junction between 6/28 and 7/3 so you should have no problem. Tanner creek has a sketchy but do-able fallen log crossing where I indicated on the map I posted in my reply to Pablo.
[...]
It's been a long time since I was on trail 430 between the creek and Von Ahn rim so I don't remember if I waded across or crossed on a log. The map shows the trail continuing up the hill from the log crossing but I crossed the log last weekend and could not find the trail. (I didn't look too hard, though as that was not my prime mission that day and I was running short on time anyway). I'm looking forward to seeing your trip report.
Last edited by pablo on July 4th, 2008, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 4th, 2008, 1:18 pm

Paul,

Thanks for the info and the link. I remembered your report but couldn't find it. I was very suspect on the alignment of that trail but when I last did it I had a GPS that was "old technology" and did not work well in such terrain. (I've since lost that track to a hard drive failure anyway, and no great loss.)

No wonder I couldn't find a trail on the west side of that log! Joe may have some trouble on his trek, then - the creek where I indicated "side trail to creek" is too deep and swift to safely cross at present.

joerunner

Post by joerunner » July 4th, 2008, 3:20 pm

Hey Pablo, I looked at your report on this again and I have a couple questions. How far South from the correct crossing was the log crossing that you took that led you into the bushwack? You mentioned that the Moffet creek trail was way off from the map. If I'm unable to follow the trail due to snow or overgrown conditions will it be simple enough to follow my gps way points from Van Ahn Rim up to Nesmith point?

I can see why I couldn't find Moffett creek from up at nesmith 2 weeks ago. The actual trail is quite a bit south from where I had it marked.
pablo wrote:Don, pardon me for barging in here and forgive me if I'm totally off-base, but I think you've got the location of the start of the Moffet Creek trail wrong. The USGS map trail line headed out of Tanner Creek going east up the hill towards Van Ahn Rim is waaay off. The marker on the map above 'Side Trail to Creek' is the start of the Moffet Creek Trail - it should be signed at the intersection with Tanner Creek trail and flagged on both sides of the creek. First time I went up that way I ignored the sign, went up to where you have it marked as 'Cross on cedar log...' and crossed Tanner Creek (likely on that very same log, I'd have to check my photos) and, being unable to find trail since the trail is not there, bushwhacked up the hill until I eventually ran into the trail. Here's the map I did for that trip report.

Here's the report I did at the time.

--Paul
Don Nelsen wrote:
Hi Joe,

A lot of snow has melted in just this past week judging from what I saw in the area of the Dublin Lake junction between 6/28 and 7/3 so you should have no problem. Tanner creek has a sketchy but do-able fallen log crossing where I indicated on the map I posted in my reply to Pablo.
[...]