Tanner Butte - Dublin Lake - Tanner Avalanche loop

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pablo

Re: Tanner Butte - Dublin Lake - Tanner Avalanche loop

Post by pablo » July 4th, 2008, 4:33 pm

joerunner wrote:Hey Pablo, I looked at your report on this again and I have a couple questions. How far South from the correct crossing was the log crossing that you took that led you into the bushwack? You mentioned that the Moffet creek trail was way off from the map. If I'm unable to follow the trail due to snow or overgrown conditions will it be simple enough to follow my gps way points from Van Ahn Rim up to Nesmith point?
From NG TOPO the log crossing mentioned in Don's post is approximately .28 miles south of the Moffet Creek trail. I don't think it would be too bad - half hour. It does not appear to be the log I crossed on. I do have a photo of a log - fairly small - that crosses the creek near where Moffet Creek trail crosses so there might be a closer crossing.

45 34.982' -121 56.783' (NAD83) is the location of the Moffet Creek trail crossing of Tanner Creek.

Here's the NG topo file the map was based on - should have the track and comments. Also has my original waypoints, not that they are any good.

http://www.stccmop.org/~pturner/ph/Tann ... tDone2.tpo

Here's the GPX file for the track - slightly cleaned up. Just import into NG TOPO.

http://www.stccmop.org/~pturner/ph/TannerMoffet.gpx

From Don's report I'd think it's snow free up to the top of Van Ahn Rim and from there I'd expect solid snow. You could likely pick waypoints off the supplied track that would keep you fairly close to the trail all the way across to Yeon Mtn Rd.

Hope this helps, have fun.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

joerunner

Post by joerunner » July 4th, 2008, 5:14 pm

That will help a lot. Thanks pablo!

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 4th, 2008, 5:40 pm

Awesome avalanche photos, Don! Wow! :o

Tom

meana39

Post by meana39 » July 7th, 2008, 2:33 am

Those avalanche photos are amazing! I still think of you everyday when I see the slide over at Table Mountain. You sure seem to attract these "natural disasters" to photograph! Great journalistic work as usual.
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

emilyinsd

Post by emilyinsd » July 9th, 2008, 5:01 pm

thanks for all the help i will be heading up tanner butte in the next few days and this gives me hope that the trail is ok. and with the sweet weather we have been having the views should be killer! is the back side melted enought to loop it with eagle creek yet?

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 9th, 2008, 5:08 pm

meana39 wrote:Those avalanche photos are amazing! I still think of you everyday when I see the slide over at Table Mountain. You sure seem to attract these "natural disasters" to photograph! Great journalistic work as usual.
Thank you! - but I hope I'm not attracting them - just finding and reporting! :D
- Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 9th, 2008, 5:23 pm

emilyinsd wrote:thanks for all the help i will be heading up tanner butte in the next few days and this gives me hope that the trail is ok. and with the sweet weather we have been having the views should be killer! is the back side melted enought to loop it with eagle creek yet?
I'm certain that you will have no problem with snow except possibly that short section between Big Cedar and the ridge. The trail is not easily found even when the snow is gone since it gets little use and no maintainance. If you do the loop clockwise, even if you lose the trail past Big Cedar, you will find it again once on the ridgeline since that is a wide logging roadbed and unmistakable. You will know it when you see it so just head north when you get to that point and the route is obvious. There is a sign marking the junction if you do the loop counterclockwise but if you miss it you will soon run into a gate across the road at the boundary with the Bull Run Watershed area so turn back and find the junction. Also, the USGS map is correct in that area (Amazing!)

Also: The sign marking the "Scramble Trail" up to the summit of Tanner Butte has fallen off the tree it was afixed to and is now atop a small pile of rocks in the west track of the old logging road roadbed so stay on that west tread so you don't miss that sign. The trail to the summit of Tanner is 95 percent snow-free as of 7/3.

Hope to hear about your successful trip and see pics.

- Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Arioto

Post by Arioto » July 10th, 2008, 7:24 pm

Thanks for the great report Don!