Saddle Mountain 12/31/15

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
samgonemudding

Saddle Mountain 12/31/15

Post by samgonemudding » December 31st, 2015, 12:13 pm

We meandered up Saddle mountain for the 30th and were greeted with great views and surprisingly easy passage over the snow. The road has been cleared from a few fallen trees up to the trailhead though it was icy in the parking lot, there was no snow on the road. Go slow on the road, the pot-holes could swallow small children. There is snow from the parking lot all the way to the summit with patches of dirt trail. The weather has been re-melting the snow so it is icy in the morning and a bit more mushy mid-day. Travel is mostly safe minus a few areas where a slip could end in disaster. Travel through the saddle is the most dangerous because the slope and frequent use has created icy spots that are hard to gain traction on. The summit view was clear with views of Hood, Rainier, Helens, Adams, the Coast, and Astoria.

There are 2 port-potties at the trailhead and $5 fee or Forrest pass to park. We just had boots and a jackets and were fine. We saw a few people summit with sneakers thanks to the early frozen snow but afternoon would be wet feet I would imagine. Warm approach needed only light pants and sweater but a few layers for the summit were warranted.
Attachments
IMG_4321.jpg
The trail is sometimes dirt and sometimes snow
IMG_0820.jpg
Obligatory panoramic from the summit
IMG_0819.jpg
Snow near the top gets nearly a foot deep but is mostly frozen and easy to navigate without gators
IMG_0818.jpg
The summit is looking a bit whiter than usual
IMG_0804.jpg
The log bridge is a bit treacherous
IMG_0803.jpg
Majestic Deer looks over its realm
IMG_0800.jpg

Pdxmaestro

Re: Saddle Mountain 12/31/15

Post by Pdxmaestro » January 1st, 2016, 10:17 am

Thanks for the trip report. I did Saddle Mt. in the summer and found it to be the hardest hike I have ever done. It's not for sissy's lol. Good job !

maryannpdx

Post by maryannpdx » January 1st, 2016, 4:05 pm

Pdxmaestro wrote: I did Saddle Mt. in the summer and found it to be the hardest hike I have ever done. It's not for sissy's lol. Good job !
I agree! This one kicks my butt every time.
MaryannPDX

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » January 1st, 2016, 5:39 pm

That hike is a lung-buster for sure, especially with snow!
samgonemudding wrote:There are 2 port-potties at the trailhead and $5 fee or Forrest pass to park.
There never used to be a parking fee there. And the website doesn't say anything it. Is that new?

Also, even if there is a parking fee, the Northwest Forest Pass doesn't work in state parks.