A little rain in the Gorge and a trip to Warren Falls: 12-7

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sean Thomas

A little rain in the Gorge and a trip to Warren Falls: 12-7

Post by Sean Thomas » December 7th, 2015, 8:53 pm

It was just a little rainy today :shock: :?

When work got canceled this morning Joie and I decided to head out east to the gorge to see a few waterfalls. Multnomah Falls was the star of the show(or so we thought) producing a thunderous roar that seemed to swallow up any other sound:

I'm on the bridge in this one:

Before Multnomah Falls we stopped at Wahkeena where we could tell it was going to be an interesting morning!

On the drive eastward along the old highway there were tons of small slides surging out over the road. We stopped a few times to clear several volleyball sized rocks out of the way:

Horsetail Falls was amazing, with the spray/mist from the splash pool reaching more than half the height of the falls(214 ft, NW Waterfall Survey)

A closer look at the base:

Ainsworth was getting hit pretty hard too:

We headed a little further east and got off at Bonneville Dam to see if we could make it out to Wahclella Falls. Just a quarter mile in at Munra Falls the water was slamming rocks onto and over the bridge where I shuffled across quickly(stupidly!) before deciding to turn around:

The falls was pretty impressive this morning:

Tanner Creek was just scary:

The little road grade past the gate at the TH had a good coating of mud and debris over it in a few places:

We got back to the car and continued our way eastward until we reached Starvation Creek. Jo and I were curious to see if Warren Falls was flowing after the heavy rain and indeed it was! But first :D

We headed west along the eastbound shoulder of I-84 until we reached Cabin Creek Falls:

After we passed Cabin Creek Falls Joie spotted an old piece of rail line next to the trail:

And the obligatory ant mound shot:

We continued on up towards the site of Warren Falls and then there it was, giving off a pretty good roar itself:

The creek was diverted in the late 30's bringing the birth of the nearby Hole in the Wall Falls and leaving the old site of Warren Falls without any water for most of the year. But today it was very much alive :)

Hole in the Wall Falls was something else too, just blasting down the cliff side:

Warren Creek before it meets back up with Warren Creek:

And a closer look at Hole in the Wall, full of rocks and mud. The sound was sort of terrifying!

Back at Cabin Creek Falls and the water had made it's way out over the old highway :shock:

This had all happened in the 20 or 30 minutes we'd been gone at Warren Falls, a strong reminder of the power of mother nature. We hiked back along the freeway shoulder to the car where Joie climbed in to get warm and I headed off for Starvation Creek Falls:

All in all I hope everyone is safe after what was(is) one heck of a storm earlier(and apparently more to come!) It was just a wild day out there.

Crusak

Re: A little rain in the Gorge and a trip to Warren Falls: 1

Post by Crusak » December 7th, 2015, 9:55 pm

WOW! Lots of violent water moving things downhill. Great shots, and brave of you two for getting out there to enjoy the weather.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 7th, 2015, 10:22 pm

Amazing photos, Sean! Thanks so much for heading in there to capture these! :)

I've been sort of waiting for flood conditions like this to possibly do some of the following re-arranging for photographic purposes:

• clear the debris pile at the Wahkeena/Fairy confluence
• clear the logs from Dutchman Falls
• move the log jam AND the giant boulder that created it from the base of Oneonta Falls (hey, I can dream!)
• move the debris out of the top of Oneonta Falls
• move the giant log above Triple Falls (but not the bridge!) to let the west tier flow a bit better
• blow out the third channel at Upper McCord falls that flows in the 70s
• sweep out the latest upside-down tree at Punch Bowl Falls

...oh, and yeah... rip out the diversion structure at Warren Falls..! :-)

That's my short list... well, kinda long, actually...

Tom :D

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » December 7th, 2015, 10:30 pm

Nice and gutsy shots Sean!!! :) I'm thinking about heading that way tomorrow. Hole-In-The-Wall sure looks different. Here's a shot of Warren from last Saturday:
Warren 1-1-1.jpg

mandrake

Post by mandrake » December 7th, 2015, 11:01 pm

Yowza on the water flow there... Great pics! :-)

RobinB

Post by RobinB » December 8th, 2015, 1:05 am

Sean Thomas wrote:Image
Wow! Fantastic photo (and, as usual, report), Sean.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 8th, 2015, 7:00 am

except now there will be new logs ruining your pictures Tom

amazing pictures Sean

Limey

Post by Limey » December 8th, 2015, 7:29 am

Great pictures. I was thinking that Warren must be flowing but I was too lazy to brave the weather to go see it.
Amazing weather out there.

Marilyn

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 8th, 2015, 8:01 am

except now there will be new logs ruining your pictures Tom
Yeah, I know, Jerry... but I can dream..!

Tom :D

BigBear

Post by BigBear » December 8th, 2015, 12:02 pm

It was nice of you to take one for the team and recon these waterfalls for us.

On a cautionary note, in such heavy downpour you can't tell what's happening upstream. An innocent depression in the topography can fill up with water behind an earthen dam somewhere up the ridge and then let loose in a giant lahar. Back in 1996, that's what happened all over the Northwest.

One of the most interesting explosions of water and debris was on the Salmon River Trail. A normally dry streambed still had the impact marks (from February) in July when I walked the trail. The mud at the crossing was 20 feet high in the trees along the banks and the terminal moraine of logs and boulders was on the opposite side of Salmon River. When one of these lets loose, you won't have time to run.

Thanks again for the recon.