Eagle Creek (Salmon Huckleberry Edition)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
miah66

Eagle Creek (Salmon Huckleberry Edition)

Post by miah66 » November 10th, 2015, 9:59 am

On a day where rain was forecasted, Born2BBrad and myself ventured deep into the Salmon Huckleberry Wilderness. Undaunted and prepared for wet weather, we hiked the Eagle Creek trail from the Harvey Road trailhead. The "Field Guide" instructions were spot on. Thanks, bobcat!

The drive out is mostly good. I took my Honda Civic, but in hindsight, I should've taken the 4x4 w/ higher clearance. I made it, but there were some mudholes on the last mile that gave me pause...and a few scrapes.

This hike begins at a log landing, and heads downhill on a road that is returning to forest that was clearcut in the 70's. Some sections are quite nice, though.

There were also some recent vehicle tracks that unexplicably drove down the first part of the "trail" through some very large waterbars and even over some down trees. Not sure why, but you can't fix stupid.

After about 1/2 mile, you come to the Wilderness boundary, and the sign.

The trail continues through alder and bigleaf maple forest and you can hear the rushing water of Eagle Creek not too far below.

some remnants of a wasp/bees nest, right on the trail

Nice cedar and doug fir bottomlands

Alot of fungus was encountered out here

including these strange, large, bright orange mushrooms that were everywhere

About 3.5 miles in we passed a nice campsite on the creek

The water was running clear and cold and the weather was still holding out nicely.

There were several nurse logs w/ rather large trees growing from them. It's always cool to see that. Here's a nurse log covered in oxalis:

Typical trail/creekside viewing

Unbelievably we had some sun breaks as we neared the 6.5 mile mark

I loved looking up the misty green creek canyon, transporting me back to a time before humans even walked the earth

Perhaps that is what downtown Portland used to look like? Who knows.

There's a beautiful little side creek joining the mainline about 7.2 miles in.

Bracket fungus family

As we continued on, pushing through some salmonberry stalks and some blackberry vines, we came to a section where the trail rides right along the creek. It certainly would be a wade in times of high water?

Abruptly at 7.7 miles the trail hangs a sharp right at this sign and approaches the water

You need to ford to continue up the trail, as it climbs steeply to intersect the Old Baldy Trail (#502). My friend Ned Jones and I hiked/biked to the other end of this trail back in May, from the Fanton trail.

The ford marked the turnaround point for our hike, so we took a break and ate some lunch. As we snacked and talked, out of the corner of my eye, a squirrel appeared. He ran along the log I was sitting on and charged towards me! Brad mouthed the words, "Look out!" in super slo-mo and I turned my head as it mock charged me...then it launched itself into the weeds before it could gnaw my face off. He must've sensed that I had some spicy Planters peanuts in my pack. Geez. I need to keep the squirrel spray handy. :lol:

Another minute or two and the mix of sun and clouds turned to steel gray, and the rain began to fall. Soon it became a steady downpour, and we began the 7.7 mile slog back towards the car. Figures! Still, tt was a mostly pleasant, if brisk walk back the way we came, noticing the minute details we missed along the way. Bugs, fungus, crazy big trees, etc.

Lovely green carpets

Brad's big red umbrella

A hollow log for Chase

*disclaimer: it probably doesn't count b/c it's not hollow all the way through

We never saw another soul all day. It was good to get out, on a day where most people were probably shopping or watching TV. Shoes are still drying, however. :D

Here's a video of our "other" Eagle Creek:

https://youtu.be/ws6je_9hS0E

Hike stats:

15.4 miles
1700' eg

"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

RobFromRedland

Re: Eagle Creek (Salmon Huckleberry Edition)

Post by RobFromRedland » November 10th, 2015, 11:07 am

A very cool hike - I need to get back up there - I haven't been there since they did the logging at the landing. I've heard it is VERY different than it used to be.

Loved the photos!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » November 10th, 2015, 12:35 pm

Always a great hike, AND a day away from the crowds - thanks for the motivation to get back out there!
"The world begins where the road ends." ~Eddie Vedder
http://www.hriggsphotography.com/

miah66

Post by miah66 » November 10th, 2015, 12:43 pm

RobFromRedland wrote:A very cool hike - I need to get back up there - I haven't been there since they did the logging at the landing. I've heard it is VERY different than it used to be.

Loved the photos!
Thank you. I can't speak for what it used to be, but there are lots of logged areas as you near the TH. In fact, several of the homes along the road out there have newer clearcuts for front/back yards! Fantastic! Just what you always dream of, right?

Instagram @pdxstrider

ssinfo503

Post by ssinfo503 » November 10th, 2015, 1:22 pm

The orange mushroom looks like Lobster Mushroom, actually a fungus (sounds disgusting but tastes great).
http://northernbushcraft.com/topic.php? ... _mushrooms

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » November 10th, 2015, 1:53 pm

miah66 wrote: Thank you. I can't speak for what it used to be, but there are lots of logged areas as you near the TH. In fact, several of the homes along the road out there have newer clearcuts for front/back yards! Fantastic! Just what you always dream of, right?
Yeah, the road in is pretty sad. And the beginning of the trail is nothing special at all - not until you get close to the river - that is when it changes into a magic place.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

miah66

Post by miah66 » November 10th, 2015, 2:32 pm

It appeared that there was a major logging operation on the other side of the Eagle Creek drainage, right up to the Wilderness boundary. Satellite photos do not show it, perhaps they aren't recent enough? I attempted to find the area in logging proposals, but have no clue what this sale was named. I suppose they keep the names vague on purpose. There was a lot of shooting coming from the road over there in the logged zone. :( It looked and sounded pretty terrible.

Instagram @pdxstrider

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » November 10th, 2015, 7:48 pm

Nice hike! This is one of my favorite pre-work hikes because it is close, quiet, beautiful and flat :) The nurse logs are awesome. You gotta watch out for those squirrels ;) That road is nasty at the end!
Dan

-Q-

Post by -Q- » November 10th, 2015, 11:51 pm

Any spooky feelings down there??
That trail and canyon give me the creeps for some reason.

miah66

Post by miah66 » November 11th, 2015, 7:37 am

ssinfo503 wrote:The orange mushroom looks like Lobster Mushroom, actually a fungus (sounds disgusting but tastes great).
http://northernbushcraft.com/topic.php? ... _mushrooms
Thanks for the ID, that does indeed look like what I saw. I still wouldn't eat it, however! :lol:

Instagram @pdxstrider