Elk Meadows / Elk Mountain - 10/27/2015

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
aiwetir

Elk Meadows / Elk Mountain - 10/27/2015

Post by aiwetir » October 31st, 2015, 10:56 am

I thought I'd try that HTML to BBCODE converter. Works well enough. I needed to reformat some stuff, but close enough and cut out a ton of work. I maintain a separate hiking blog from which this is copied.

27 Oct 2015
Elk Meadows / Elk Mountain

A good mix.

You hike through a good bit of mixed conifer montane forests to a couple of peaks with views. There are a few creek crossings, mountain meadows, spring wildflowers (in the spring), an abandoned lookout tower site, and an old shelter.

There were 8 cars at the trailhead, making this one of the busiest trailheads we’ve been to yet; we only saw 4 parties. We climbed up to the old lookout site at Elk Mountain first to get the elevation gain out of the way, cut through the 2006 Bluegrass Ridge Burn, and then down to the meadows.

Along the way I busted my shin so hard that the skin split and I gave myself a good bruise. I guess we should start bringing that first aid kit we’ve been talking about and maybe a few more of the 10 essentials. After limping into the meadow and taking some photos, we had “dinner” and hiked out in the dark.

• 8.0 mi Distance
  • 3 hrs 45 min Moving Time
  • 4 hrs 24 min Total Time
  • 2.1 mph Moving Speed
  • 1.8 mph Avg Speed
  • 33:08 min/mi Pace
  • 39 min Stopped Time
  • 1538 ft Ascent
  • 1509 ft Descent
Last edited by aiwetir on August 2nd, 2016, 3:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
- Michael

-Q-

Re: Elk Meadows / Elk Mountain - 10/27/2015

Post by -Q- » October 31st, 2015, 3:59 pm

Nice route. I like the whole elk mountain-bluegrass ridge area. Kinda overlooked. then can add on elk meadows-gnarl ridge for a good long day. Fun

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » October 31st, 2015, 11:28 pm

-Q- wrote:Nice route. I like the whole elk mountain-bluegrass ridge area. Kinda overlooked. then can add on elk meadows-gnarl ridge for a good long day. Fun
I haven't decided where my favorite areas are yet, but we had a great time this fall spring, just north of Elk Meadows . We've only been at this day hiking for a year (in 3 days) and we almost always get out late Tuesday. Crowds usually aren't an issue at that point, but daylight and temperatures are.
- Michael

miah66

Post by miah66 » November 2nd, 2015, 7:39 am

aiwetir wrote: There were 8 cars at the trailhead, making this one of the busiest trailheads we've been to yet
This! Wow..well you said you only get out on Tuesdays, so that could explain that. On a weekend, 8 cars at some trailheads would be comparable solitude on scale rarely attained!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » November 2nd, 2015, 9:52 am

miah66 wrote:This! Wow..well you said you only get out on Tuesdays, so that could explain that. On a weekend, 8 cars at some trailheads would be comparable solitude on scale rarely attained!
Yeah, I actually rode my bike past this trailhead on Saturday and it was full, probably 20 cars?
- Michael