Green Canyon - Salmon River Loop 10/21 - 10/22

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mreha

Green Canyon - Salmon River Loop 10/21 - 10/22

Post by mreha » October 23rd, 2015, 6:23 am

Had to reevaluate my planned trip to the Badger Creek Wilderness as my planned 3-night trip was cut down to 1-night unexpectedly, so rather than drive all the way out to BCW for one night I decided to do the Green Canyon-Salmon River loop. I had done both the Salmon River hike and the Green Canyon hike as day hikes, but this was my first time connecting the two and it was spectacular!

As the field guide says, it is indeed "rather arduous", at least the first section on the Green Canyon trail. Thank you, by the way, to bobcat for the awesome field guide entry - I printed it and took it with me, and I never had any doubt about which way to go.

I got a pretty sweet view once I reached the top of the Green Canyon trail:

After the junction with the Hunchback Mountain trail, the hike was relatively easy other than the absurd amounts of blowdown in some sections. None of it was particularly difficult to get over, there was just so much of it - there was a mile or so stretch where the trail was blocked literally every few feet, I felt like I was competing in a hurdle event.

Spent the night at the lookout on Devil's Peak, which definitely has a rodent problem but was otherwise pretty nice. I woke up in the morning and went to put my glasses on and a mouse had taken a shit right on the lens :lol:
Two guys showed up at the lookout at 1am (not sure why they were hiking around at 1am, but anyway...) and woke me up, but they seemed really nice and I didn't mind sharing the space.

Some pretty amazing views from the lookout deck:

The second day was much, much easier than the first, even though I covered more miles...from Devil's Peak to Kinzel Lake trail to Salmon River trail is all pretty easy hiking and I powered through it in a few hours. I was in more of a "get back to the trailhead" mood by that point than a picture-taking mood, so no photos from that section...

Note that water was definitely scarce; 3 of the 4 springs on the Hunchback Mountain trail were dry, and the fourth (about midway between the Green Canyon junction and Devil's Peak) was a trickle. Luckily, some awesome person had left a 2.5 gallon jug of water in the lookout and I filled up one of my bottles from that. I didn't hit a really good water source until the Goat Creek crossing on the Salmon River trail; even many of the smaller creeks on the Salmon River trail were dry.

All in all, I was really glad to get another backpacking trip in before the rain starts in earnest...3 nights would have been awesome, but 1 night is better than none!

Chazz

Re: Green Canyon - Salmon River Loop 10/21 - 10/22

Post by Chazz » October 23rd, 2015, 6:32 am

I am disappointed that the FS has not done any trail maintenance between The Green Canyon/Hunchback Mountain trail junction and the lookout. I went through there in May and it sounds like nothing has changed.

mreha

Post by mreha » October 23rd, 2015, 7:25 pm

Chazz wrote:I am disappointed that the FS has not done any trail maintenance between The Green Canyon/Hunchback Mountain trail junction and the lookout. I went through there in May and it sounds like nothing has changed.
No, it didn't look like any maintenance had been done on it in quite a while. I'm not surprised; it doesn't seem like a very popular trail (other than the two guys who showed up at the lookout, I didn't see anyone until I got on the Salmon River trail), and it's a pretty strenuous hike from either Green Canyon or Hunchback Mountain TH, so I'm sure they're not exactly eager to get up there.

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » October 24th, 2015, 11:40 am

This is a really nice loop! I did this last winter and the trail was the same. It would definitely be more popular if they cleaned up the section between green canyon/hunchback intersection and devils peak. Green canyon is indeed "rather arduous" :) Last winter there was water running down hunchback trail in sections and the entire kinzel lake area was a swamp :lol: There was a nasty bit of blowdown on green canyon just before that viewpoint near the top. Did they at least get that cleaned up? I would certainly be a little freaked out by folks rolling in at 1 in the morning!

mreha

Post by mreha » October 24th, 2015, 8:20 pm

greenjello85 wrote:This is a really nice loop! I did this last winter and the trail was the same. It would definitely be more popular if they cleaned up the section between green canyon/hunchback intersection and devils peak. Green canyon is indeed "rather arduous" :) Last winter there was water running down hunchback trail in sections and the entire kinzel lake area was a swamp :lol: There was a nasty bit of blowdown on green canyon just before that viewpoint near the top. Did they at least get that cleaned up? I would certainly be a little freaked out by folks rolling in at 1 in the morning!
I know exactly which blowdown you mean, and it was as nasty as ever...it was the only sort-of-dicey part of the whole loop. It didn't help that just as I cleared it, I heard something BIG crashing through the forest just below the trail - scared the crap out of me but it ended up being a huge (but terrified) buck trying to get away from me :lol:

It was a little weird that those guys showed up so late, but they were very friendly, polite, and apologetic for waking me up (they hadn't realized anyone was in the lookout) so it was OK...I think when I sat up out of the shadows and said hello it scared them as much as they scared me ;)

Charley

Post by Charley » October 25th, 2015, 6:05 pm

mreha wrote:It was a little weird that those guys showed up so late, but they were very friendly, polite, and apologetic for waking me up (they hadn't realized anyone was in the lookout) so it was OK...I think when I sat up out of the shadows and said hello it scared them as much as they scared me ;)
I went camping with a friend at the lookout at the Bull of the Woods in November of 2007. We were cooking dinner in the dark when I man came in to say hi. We asked if he planned to spend the night, but he said he was hiking back down with a headlamp. We thought it was real weird. I mean, I go hiking in the afternoon and evening all the time, but usually I try to time it so that I get to the viewpoint at sunset and hike back down in the dark. Maybe these guys were just running late?
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

dfs1109

Post by dfs1109 » October 26th, 2015, 10:54 am

Thank you for the post, I plan on doing this loop as a day hike tomorrow!
"Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have our tea first?" Peter Pan

mreha

Post by mreha » October 26th, 2015, 1:57 pm

dfs1109 wrote:Thank you for the post, I plan on doing this loop as a day hike tomorrow!
You are more ambitious than me, my friend ;)

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 29th, 2015, 10:26 am

mreha wrote:
Chazz wrote:I am disappointed that the FS has not done any trail maintenance between The Green Canyon/Hunchback Mountain trail junction and the lookout. I went through there in May and it sounds like nothing has changed.
No, it didn't look like any maintenance had been done on it in quite a while. I'm not surprised; it doesn't seem like a very popular trail (other than the two guys who showed up at the lookout, I didn't see anyone until I got on the Salmon River trail), and it's a pretty strenuous hike from either Green Canyon or Hunchback Mountain TH, so I'm sure they're not exactly eager to get up there.
Lovely hike! I totally enjoyed that loop a couple years ago, and the blowdown was looking rather old at that time. I imagine it's only gotten worse. I feel mixed about the need. The solitude is wonderful. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

mreha

Post by mreha » October 29th, 2015, 6:40 pm

kepPNW wrote: Lovely hike! I totally enjoyed that loop a couple years ago, and the blowdown was looking rather old at that time. I imagine it's only gotten worse. I feel mixed about the need. The solitude is wonderful. :)
Great pictures! I'll have to do it again earlier in the year to see the wildflowers :)
And I totally agree about the solitude - especially remarkable considering how easily accessible the trailhead is.